You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Eastern Virginia
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Mind sharing your stats?Just got the interview! Dates being offered were throughout January. Application complete 10/22
Interviewed here. The school seems pretty ghetto.
The dean basically spent like 30 min basically saying "we suck but have these things we dont suck at!"
Also lol @ the interviewer who laughed when I asked about research opportunities
The dean basically spent like 30 min basically saying "we suck but have these things we dont suck at!"
Also lol @ the interviewer who laughed when I asked about research opportunities

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed here. The school seems pretty ghetto.
The dean basically spent like 30 min basically saying "we suck but have these things we dont suck at!"
Also lol @ the interviewer who laughed when I asked about research opportunities![]()
just to offer a counterpoint to anyone reading this forum, this was not at all the impression that I got on my interview day. I had very positive impressions about all aspects of the school from the dean, and heard plenty of good things about research opportunities at EVMS.
Interviewed here. The school seems pretty ghetto.
The dean basically spent like 30 min basically saying "we suck but have these things we dont suck at!"
Also lol @ the interviewer who laughed when I asked about research opportunities![]()
I completely disagree, and both the med students and the faculty I spoke with confirmed that there were plenty of research opportunities.
II OOS - Withdrawn
II today - sent an update letter yesterday so I guess it must've helped? lol
A general update or with something significant? Can I ask where you send it to?II today - sent an update letter yesterday so I guess it must've helped? lol
A general update or with something significant? Can I ask where you send it to?
I knew I was lacking clinical experience so I updated them about my 500 hours in a clinical job + the new position I just took, so I feel like it was pretty significant. I also didn't send it till now because I didn't realize they took updates - there's an email address in the application complete email that you got that tells you where to send updates.
complete Email? I never got one.I knew I was lacking clinical experience so I updated them about my 500 hours in a clinical job + the new position I just took, so I feel like it was pretty significant. I also didn't send it till now because I didn't realize they took updates - there's an email address in the application complete email that you got that tells you where to send updates.
GreatFaith
Full Member
Hi everyone, congrats to those who have interviews. Can anyone give a run down of interview day? My interview is coming up and I have no idea what to expect.
Thank you!
Thank you!
MilkshakeDuck
Full Member
Mind sharing your stats?
3.6, 508, OOS
D
deleted981042
this was a very helpful link in my II email. Not sure if you already saw it, but from my own interview experience, it was pretty accurate!Hi everyone, congrats to those who have interviews. Can anyone give a run down of interview day? My interview is coming up and I have no idea what to expect.
Thank you!
to offer my 0.02 about my experience, I wish I left with a more positive impression of the school because I was really excited for it going in... perhaps it's because now's around exam season
Pre-med9820
Full Member
Hi everyone, congrats to those who have interviews. Can anyone give a run down of interview day? My interview is coming up and I have no idea what to expect.
Thank you!
The timeline they provide is very accurate. The tours are not too long, lunch is provided during a presentation, and for the actual interview you will have some down time before depending on what time your interview is. If you have the first interview slot, you will only have a few minutes, if you have the last then you will have over an hour that you will probably spend just chatting with other interviewees. Everything felt very laid back and casual all day!
Any current EVMS students I can pm about the school? Interviewing next month
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Feel free to pm me! I'm a current MS4 and in the midst of residency interview season so replies may be slow but I'll try to get back to you this weekend or sometime next week. 🙂Any current EVMS students I can pm about the school? Interviewing next month
Instate or out state?Alt list, interviewed last week
send an update on thursday so fingers crossed lolII today - sent an update letter yesterday so I guess it must've helped? lol
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
How long do they interview here?
not yetOut of curiosity, have any accepted folks received a background check yet? The portal said they'd start being sent in mid-late December
Through mid-March iirc.How long do they interview here?
Through mid-March iirc.
This is right. Alternate list should have movement after this, hoping for earlier 🙂
Ethiadene977
Full Member
Interviewed 11/1. OOS. Called and was told upper third :/ Do I have any chance?
Interviewed 11/1. OOS. Called and was told upper third :/ Do I have any chance?
Of course you have a chance! Upper third is where you want to be if you’re on the WL. Also, as far as I recall the WL at evms tends to have more movement for OOS students than IS
A current M1 told me "I know it is hard for you to think this way - but getting put on waitlist in top tier is an accomplishment. A huge portion of ppl come from waitlist , even middle tier" so there is a good chance 🙂Of course you have a chance! Upper third is where you want to be if you’re on the WL. Also, as far as I recall the WL at evms tends to have more movement for OOS students than IS
Ethiadene977
Full Member
A current M1 told me "I know it is hard for you to think this way - but getting put on waitlist in top tier is an accomplishment. A huge portion of ppl come from waitlist , even middle tier" so there is a good chance 🙂
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Heart's been really heavy throughout this cycle.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GreatFaith
Full Member
What hotel did most people stay at for their interview? Did you all use the ones recommended on the list?
Thanks!
Thanks!
I stayed at The Turret Room in Late 1800's Historic House (Airbnb) and it was really clean and pleasant. It was a 5 minute walk from EVMS and another interviewee was there too. It was like $85/night which was much more reasonable and closer than the hotels.What hotel did most people stay at for their interview? Did you all use the ones recommended on the list?
Thanks!
Has anyone that interviewed on 12/13 heard back yet by any chance?
D
deleted994889
What hotel did most people stay at for their interview? Did you all use the ones recommended on the list?
Thanks!
I used Airbnb. You can find good places near to school for much less than a hotel. My suggestion is somewhere with your own bathroom. Don't want to be waiting for the shower in the morning.
What hotel did most people stay at for their interview? Did you all use the ones recommended on the list?
Thanks!
I stayed on a sailboat in Portsmouth. Kind of an interesting experience, not as convenient or comfortable as a hotel though.
MilkshakeDuck
Full Member
What hotel did most people stay at for their interview? Did you all use the ones recommended on the list?
Thanks!
so I called the hotels and the deals were non existent — it’s cheaper on Expedia! They wanted $107-$130 before fees when I called and Expedia was $99 before fees at the Marriott hotels. I’d check Expedia and Kayak and do what the best deal for you is.
CrabsMcChaffey
Full Member
II this morning. OOS complete in July. Dates available for January.
Medschoolbelle
Full Member
II this morning
OOS late application
505 MCAT and 3.71 GPA URM
OOS late application
505 MCAT and 3.71 GPA URM
slinkybean
Full Member
Does correcting my FAFSA change my submission date?!
Submitted FAFSA back in November, but need to update my school list after an II. Some of my schools have FAFSA deadlines of 1/1/2020. Is this going to mess up meeting their deadlines, or will they go off of my original submission date (and not my correction date)???
Submitted FAFSA back in November, but need to update my school list after an II. Some of my schools have FAFSA deadlines of 1/1/2020. Is this going to mess up meeting their deadlines, or will they go off of my original submission date (and not my correction date)???
Does correcting my FAFSA change my submission date?!
Submitted FAFSA back in November, but need to update my school list after an II. Some of my schools have FAFSA deadlines of 1/1/2020. Is this going to mess up meeting their deadlines, or will they go off of my original submission date (and not my correction date)???
Most schools base out of acceptance date. IE if you get accepted in August, you might have to January. If you get accepted in March they might give you two weeks for FAFSA. Each school is different though. That said, I only send FAFSA to accepted schools, as I believe you can only send it to 10 schools.
When does waitlist movement start for EVMS? Do they only start after April 30th, or is it possible to hear back sooner?
When does waitlist movement start for EVMS? Do they only start after April 30th, or is it possible to hear back sooner?
When I was placed on the alternate list a couple weeks ago, I looked at last year's thread and noticed that some people were pulled from the alternate list earlier than the 4/30 date. I believe we should see mass movement starting March/April as they finish interviewing candidates at that time. Fingers crossed we get in!
When you sent in your thank you notes post interview, did anyone receive a confirmation email back from the school? I never got one and was thinking about calling to the office to make sure they got my thank you notes.
When you sent in your thank you notes post interview, did anyone receive a confirmation email back from the school? I never got one and was thinking about calling to the office to make sure they got my thank you notes.
I never got a confirmation for mine
I never got a confirmation for mine
I got a confirmation whenI interviewed late November. Maybe they’re backed up from the holidays?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you sent in your thank you notes post interview, did anyone receive a confirmation email back from the school? I never got one and was thinking about calling to the office to make sure they got my thank you notes.
I emailed my thanks and never got a confirmation, but I did get an acceptance, so nothing to worry about.
I got a confirmation whenI interviewed late November. Maybe they’re backed up from the holidays?
nah I interviewed in September and never got a confirmation for my thank you that I sent haha. But it's fine, I got accepted so clearly there was no big issue!
does EVMS accept pre-II update letters?
EDIT: i called and they do if anyone else was curious
EDIT: i called and they do if anyone else was curious
Last edited:
Is it through the admissions email?does EVMS accept pre-II update letters?
EDIT: i called and they do if anyone else was curious
Is it through the admissions email?
yes