2019-2020 Eastern Virginia

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just had my interview today. Loved the school. Thought it was great. Does anyone know if people interviewed this late in the cycle have been accepted right off the bat, and not waitlisted first?

I had the same impression after my interview late November. Unfortunately, I was waitlisted, but still hopeful!

I don't think I've seen anyone get accepted outright since my interview date, but that is strictly from watching the SDN thread. I'm sure there are still a couple seats left for interviews till mid-Feb/March. No one knows besides the Adcoms. Fingers crossed! Don't "lose" hope @laflame.
 
Just had my interview today. Loved the school. Thought it was great. Does anyone know if people interviewed this late in the cycle have been accepted right off the bat, and not waitlisted first?
A current student posted earlier in the thread that they have historically outright accepted people through March iirc. I also interviewed today
 
My notifications for this thread for some reason only work some of the time but a few things I want to point out that were brought up/speculated to clarify and make sure any misunderstandings are clarified:

1) You are NOT re-ranked on the WL. Once you are placed in a third, you stay there. There are over 100 people per third and it would be a real headache to constantly re-rank and shuffle positions due to the sheer number of applicants.

2) Do NOT use the portal to update any information--once your application/information is downloaded, the adcoms do not check the portal anymore. Again, this is due to the huge number of applicants. If you wish to send any updates following confirmation that your secondary has been received, please email them directly to admissions.

3) While the likelihood of getting accepted straight off the interview decreases as the interview season goes on, it is NOT impossible. You just need to have that much more stellar of an interview and leave an incredibly positive impression compared to someone who interviewed early in the season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WLed here back in October. Has anyone who is in the same boat sent an update letter yet? This is a pretty small detail and I am probably putting too much thought into it, but do you guys think it would be better to send the letter as a pdf through an email or just send it as a regular plain email?

Hi same here! Also WLed and I interviewed in October. I was told there's no point in really sending an update letter after you interview since you're already placed in a tier and it really doesn't do much to move your spot. But I did send an update letter as an email, and they acknowledged it! I'm not sure if this will really make a difference, but I guess it helps you feel like you've done everything you can. That being said, I think it's worth it to call and ask which tier you're in to get an idea of your chances!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewing here, and I've heard different things about their interviews. Some have said that it's very chill and conversational, while the more recent posts have said that it was very dry. Could someone comment on their interview experiences? Thanks!
It depends on your interviewers probably. Mine was somewhere inbetween, but it wasn't stressful.
 
Were the questions they asked you fairly consistent with the questions on the EVMS interview feedback thread?

My interviewers pretty much asked me only ethical scenario questions, but I don’t think this is the norm. I didn’t have any questions from the interview feedback thread even though I studied it a bit.
 
My interviewers pretty much asked me only ethical scenario questions, but I don’t think this is the norm. I didn’t have any questions from the interview feedback thread even though I studied it a bit.

Wow this is wild and I would say definitely not the norm because I interviewed here both this year and last year and never had a single ethical scenario question haha
 
I really enjoyed my interview here. I didn't get any crazy ethical questions, but was prepared for them. Lunch could have been better :O
 
I personally loved the school after my interview, but it was my only MD II. Really hoping I get off the WL as everything about this school blows my DO acceptance out the water. Fingers crossed. If you can see yourself in Virginia for 4 years paying the OOS cost, I don't see why not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very laid back. The interviewers made an effort to make me feel comfortable. Talked in depth about my application. I didn't really get an ethical question, but was prepared for it since everyone was telling me to be prepared.
SO Interesting! Mine was the opposite. Still felt very laid back and loved my interviewer, but he did not talk about my application/resume at all and only asked ethical/political topics. I weirdly loved it...?
 
SO Interesting! Mine was the opposite. Still felt very laid back and loved my interviewer, but he did not talk about my application/resume at all and only asked ethical/political topics. I weirdly loved it...?

My interview day here was top-notch. I interviewed on Jan 3rd. My interviewers did everything to make sure I was comfortable and it was honestly one of the best conversations of my life lmbo--ive had other interviews btw and they were pretty good too, but this one was fun and a friendly conversation. However, I didn't know about an interview day thread so I wasn't expecting an ethical question. I got one though and answered honestly. It was not a big deal and they seemed impressed by my answer so I am definitely praying that I get an A here. BTW, shoutout to my interview group of strictly dog lovers/parents haha
 
My interview day here was top-notch. I interviewed on Jan 3rd. My interviewers did everything to make sure I was comfortable and it was honestly one of the best conversations of my life lmbo--ive had other interviews btw and they were pretty good too, but this one was fun and a friendly conversation. However, I didn't know about an interview day thread so I wasn't expecting an ethical question. I got one though and answered honestly. It was not a big deal and they seemed impressed by my answer so I am definitely praying that I get an A here. BTW, shoutout to my interview group of strictly dog lovers/parents haha

Interviewing here this Friday and sincerely hope I get your interviewers!
Also hoping my group is full of dog lovers like yours haha
 
Interviewing here this Friday and sincerely hope I get your interviewers!
Also hoping my group is full of dog lovers like yours haha

Just remember, they invited you for a reason! You're good enough on paper, now to just shine in the interview. A WL spot is good enough as well as there is lots of WL movement, as I am told. Fingers crossed for you friend! You got this. Also, remember, their mission is to be the school that is heavily involved with the community.
 
My interviewers pretty much asked me only ethical scenario questions, but I don’t think this is the norm. I didn’t have any questions from the interview feedback thread even though I studied it a bit.

Everyone told me it would be conversational but they had a list of questions planned and ethical scenarios did come up. I even ended up in a debate which in hindsight I should not have done. I really loved the school. I got waitlisted today. Interviewed on 1/22.

Edit: OOS, WL middle third of list. 🙁
 
Last edited:
Everyone told me it would be conversational but they had a list of questions planned and ethical scenarios did come up. I even ended up in a debate which in hindsight I should not have done. I really loved the school. I got wait listed today. Interviewed on 1/22.
Whoa, you got waitlisted already? I interviewed on 1/17 and haven’t heard anything yet...

did you get the waitlist decisión in an email?
 
Everyone told me it would be conversational but they had a list of questions planned and ethical scenarios did come up. I even ended up in a debate which in hindsight I should not have done. I really loved the school. I got wait listed today. Interviewed on 1/22.

All good friend, no ethical situations here and WL'd in December after late November interview. Let's hope for some movement come May!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Top third as well. Apparently, 2/3 of the class have come from the waitlist of ~500 according to the lady I talked to

Based on last years thread, looks like there are two "lines", IS and OOS and they try to match demographics. Appears the OOS line moves quicker because of OOS tuition.