You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Eastern Virginia
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anyone know how Lyft/Uber friendly ORF is?
Very, I've used it to and from without issue.
D
deleted859689
Complete 09/06/2019
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
alwaysnice
Full Member
+1Anyone complete around 7/25 and not heard anything?
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
Does EVMS do silent rejections ? Complete 9/08/19 and the email made me think they do silent rejections.
I was complete 7/28 and didn't hear about an II until 8/27. I think it just takes timeDoes EVMS do silent rejections ? Complete 9/08/19 and the email made me think they do silent rejections.
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
What were your stats if you don’t mind?I was complete 7/28 and didn't hear about an II until 8/27. I think it just takes time
People have gotten II with LM of 65-75. Mid to low tier schools are very holistic in their review especially EVMS.What were your stats if you don’t mind?
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
Yea I appreciate what they do screening for secondaries because it saves money and shows the holistic component.People have gotten II with LM of 65-75. Mid to low tier schools are very holistic in their review especially EVMS.
LM 70. OOSWhat were your stats if you don’t mind?
Also I am a re-applicant and all 20 schools I applied to formally rejected me. The idea of silent rejections is pretty rare.Yea I appreciate what they do screening for secondaries because it saves money and shows the holistic component.
Also I am a re-applicant and all 20 schools I applied to formally rejected me. The idea of silent rejections is pretty rare.
When did those rejections usually come out? Some people have said schools will wait all the way until March to reject them when they were complete very early on in the cycle - did you find this to generally be true? I totally understand the timeline and length of the application process... just in my personal opinion, it feels like basically a "silent" rejection to not send anything out until March, because by then I would definitely think I'm getting rejected from schools at that point and have started preparing for another cycle.
dancingflagellum
Full Member
Does EVMS do silent rejections ? Complete 9/08/19 and the email made me think they do silent rejections.
Did they send you a complete email after you submitted your secondary? I did not receive a complete email after I submitted on 9/8...
There’s roughly a 3 week turnaround from submitting your secondary to getting a complete email based on my experience and previous posts on this thread. No need to worry right nowDid they send you a complete email after you submitted your secondary? I did not receive a complete email after I submitted on 9/8...
When did those rejections usually come out? Some people have said schools will wait all the way until March to reject them when they were complete very early on in the cycle - did you find this to generally be true? I totally understand the timeline and length of the application process... just in my personal opinion, it feels like basically a "silent" rejection to not send anything out until March, because by then I would definitely think I'm getting rejected from schools at that point and have started preparing for another cycle.
I’m also a reapplicant and I can tell you that last year, every single school I applied to (besides the 3 that gave me IIs) gave me my rejection in March or April, despite me having been complete in July. They all formally rejected me so it’s not technically “silent” but boy it sure feels silent to wait that long to hear
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure but to counter-- I would say its not really a silent reject until December starts to roll around. Schools typically do like a second round through their apps around october/november/december. I received two interviews in November and December. I would say when January rolls around, unless its a state school, II prospects are beginning to look slim.I’m also a reapplicant and I can tell you that last year, every single school I applied to (besides the 3 that gave me IIs) gave me my rejection in March or April, despite me having been complete in July. They all formally rejected me so it’s not technically “silent” but boy it sure feels silent to wait that long to hear
But the bigger point is that it is SEPTEMBER and schools are absolutely not silently rejecting in SEPTEMBER.
That’s not true. I’m sure there are several applicants that they absolutely will not consider but will not tell them that until March.Sure but to counter-- I would say its not really a silent reject until December starts to roll around. Schools typically do like a second round through their apps around october/november/december. I received two interviews in November and December. I would say when January rolls around, unless its a state school, II prospects are beginning to look slim.
But the bigger point is that it is SEPTEMBER and schools are absolutely not silently rejecting in SEPTEMBER.
That’s not what I’m saying. Of course that’s true, but we don’t know that! My whole point is while that may be the case we have no way of knowing until January comes around or in that instance March. My point is why speculate now in September when you won’t know your fate until they tell you and there’s no way to know?That’s not true. I’m sure there are several applicants that they absolutely will not consider but will not tell them that until March.
I submitted my secondary to EVMS on 8/4, but they emailed me back asking for in-state residency verification, which was confirmed 8/27. Now I'm just waiting for a complete email (and hopefully an II!)
Got this email:
"At this time we have received and confirmed your residency within the state of Virginia for tuition purposes. Please note, your application was not on hold and was forwarded to the EVMS Admissions Committee for review. If you are invited for an interview, you will receive an email invitation within your email account listed in your AMCAS application. "
Got this email:
"At this time we have received and confirmed your residency within the state of Virginia for tuition purposes. Please note, your application was not on hold and was forwarded to the EVMS Admissions Committee for review. If you are invited for an interview, you will receive an email invitation within your email account listed in your AMCAS application. "
EVMS, where those IIs at. It's been quiet here for a little while
We interview through March 🙂hi does anyone know what months EVMS interviews up to?
omg okay phew thanks!We interview through March 🙂
RedditorMD
Full Member
I added EVMS to my school list on Sept. 4th, but I haven't gotten a 2ndary yet. Is this a normal wait?? Plz helppp
They do a holistic review before sending out the secondary so just hang tight. And the review is more than just stats. EVMS is very mission based. For reference I got mine ~ 20 days after sending in my primary.I added EVMS to my school list on Sept. 4th, but I haven't gotten a 2ndary yet. Is this a normal wait?? Plz helppp
Last edited:
II just now, IS, LM>80, complete 7/23. Good luck everyone!
II just now, IS, LM>80, complete 7/23. Good luck everyone!
+1, OOS LM 73, complete 8/1
+2 LM 65 OOS complete early August. September has been a great month, never thought I would get this much love from ADCOMS, I am beyond excited!II just now, IS, LM>80, complete 7/23. Good luck everyone!
+3II just now, IS, LM>80, complete 7/23. Good luck everyone!
LM 71 WARs ~ 68 completed 7/25
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only ever got one email from them that saidHi guys! I double checked my spam, but I only received the first email from EVMS about getting a supplemental application, and not the second one that they said will have the link in it. Did this happen to anyone else? Is it a general link through AMCAS or do I have to wait to get a separate username and password?
Also, just so I can get started working, does the character count include spaces?
"Dear Limeyguydr,
Eastern Virginia Medical School Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application. Please visit your Eastern Virginia Medical School Regular M.D. program Applicant Gateway (URL here) to complete your next activity.
Please use your AAMC username and password to sign into the system. These are the same credentials you use to access other AAMC products including your AMCAS application.
After you sign into your AAMC account, you will be directed to the Applicant Gateway.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Eastern Virginia Medical School Regular M.D. program"
the character count includes spaces!
You probably wouldn’t get a secondary til sometime in the beginning of October. It’s definitely later than ideal but deadlines are deadlines for a reason. Go aheadIs it too late to apply?
Oh really? Does that mean that they prescreen for secondaries?You probably wouldn’t get a secondary til sometime in the beginning of October. It’s definitely later than ideal but deadlines are deadlines for a reason. Go ahead
Is it too late to apply?
This is a pretty anecdotal case, seems like the most people have a waiting period of 1-2 weeks before receiving the secondary. It obviously depends on a number of things like stats and overall strength of your application, and perhaps with fewer people submitting primaries these days the turnaround has gotten faster! I would say if you have the money and time you should go for it.Yes, they screen. But, I submitted my primary September 5 and received the secondary invite September 6 so I wouldn't worry about it taking too long!
II received today! OOS but from the region, 514 MCAT and 3.88 undergrad GPA, 3.79 for sciences. In a biochem masters program.
RedditorMD
Full Member
How long after submitting the secondary did you guys get a complete email?
mine took 5 daysHow long after submitting the secondary did you guys get a complete email?
How long after submitting the secondary did you guys get a complete email?
I submitted secondary 9/8 and still have not received a complete email. They did e-mail me about IS verification though
alwaysnice
Full Member
II! URM, OOS, complete 7/22
Theprofessor’sprofessor
Full Member
Stats if you don’t mind?II! URM, OOS, complete 7/22
How long after submitting the secondary did you guys get a complete email?
I submitted my secondary on 8/29 and received the complete email 8/30.
persist_Mill
Full Member
II today as well! OOS complete 7/25
I submitted my secondary to EVMS on 8/4, but they emailed me back asking for in-state residency verification, which was confirmed 8/27. Now I'm just waiting for a complete email (and hopefully an II!) "
Did you ever get a complete e-mail? I'm still waiting on one. All of my materials were in by 8/19 and I confirmed residency on 9/9.
Did you ever get a complete e-mail? I'm still waiting on one. All of my materials were in by 8/19 and I confirmed residency on 9/9.
I also had to go through a bit of residency correspondence, and once everything was resolved, I still hadn't received a confirmation on my application.. I emailed them and they confirmed I had been in the queue that whole time and sent me an "official" confirmation email. Would suggest you do the same just to make sure.
Should I be worried that I never got a residency email? I was completed though.I also had to go through a bit of residency correspondence, and once everything was resolved, I still hadn't received a confirmation on my application.. I emailed them and they confirmed I had been in the queue that whole time and sent me an "official" confirmation email. Would suggest you do the same just to make sure.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I be worried that I never got a residency email? I was completed though.
Assuming you claimed you're IS? No, I think complete email with no "proof for residency" email is the most ideal! Likely means they're not going to challenge you on the residency claim and you just went straight through (got you queued faster too).
I also had to go through a bit of residency correspondence, and once everything was resolved, I still hadn't received a confirmation on my application.. I emailed them and they confirmed I had been in the queue that whole time and sent me an "official" confirmation email. Would suggest you do the same just to make sure.
I called a few weeks ago to confirm they had received everything and they told me I would receive a complete notification in a couple weeks. It's been a little while since then so I'll definitely reach out again. Hopefully my application has been in the queue all this time, but it's still nice to have it in writing.
D
deleted971841
Flying in this afternoon, after reading a post on reddit about how yesterday's interview group was great I have some high expectations! If anyone else is coming in early and trying to catch dinner this evening, give me a shout.
SamWinchester
Full Member
Relatively relaxed day which included your typical presentations about the school. You'll get to tour either the general hospital or the children's hospital depending on which day you're there, and you also get to see a standardized patient scenario, which was awesome. The day wraps up with an interview with a couple of people associated with the school (can be faculty, physicians, student, etc.). Overall a good day and the school greatly exceeded my expectations.Anyone who's interviewed have any tips or advice? or can share what their experience was like during the day? Interviewing this month
The only negative thing that I'll say was that I really didn't like how the interview portion of the day was set up. There were three time slots (2pm, 2:45pm, and 3:30pm). I was 3:30pm and they didn't have anything planned for us to do lol, and since we had a break from 1:30-2:00, I had 2 hours where I just sat around doing nothing. We were able to leave if we wanted to and do whatever as long as we were back 10 mins before our interview, but I ended up just sitting in a comfy chair nearby and practicing for the interview. Moral of the story: if you have a later interview, bring a book, prepare to do nothing, or look up places to explore near EVMS if you don't want to sit around all afternoon lol. If you're an earlier interview though, your day will end really early because you can leave as soon as you're finished and miss tunnel rush hour traffic, which is nice.
thanks for the write-up! What were your thoughts about pros and cons of the school? (class size, attendance for lectures, lectures recorded, pass/fail, etc.)? if you have time that isRelatively relaxed day which included your typical presentations about the school. You'll get to tour either the general hospital or the children's hospital depending on which day you're there, and you also get to see a standardized patient scenario, which was awesome. The day wraps up with an interview with a couple of people associated with the school (can be faculty, physicians, student, etc.). Overall a good day and the school greatly exceeded my expectations.
The only negative thing that I'll say was that I really didn't like how the interview portion of the day was set up. There were three time slots (2pm, 2:45pm, and 3:30pm). I was 3:30pm and they didn't have anything planned for us to do lol, and since we had a break from 1:30-2:00, I had 2 hours where I just sat around doing nothing. We were able to leave if we wanted to and do whatever as long as we were back 10 mins before our interview, but I ended up just sitting in a comfy chair nearby and practicing for the interview. Moral of the story: if you have a later interview, bring a book, prepare to do nothing, or look up places to explore near EVMS if you don't want to sit around all afternoon lol. If you're an earlier interview though, your day will end really early because you can leave as soon as you're finished and miss tunnel rush hour traffic, which is nice.