2019-2020 Florida International

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Florida International University

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre writing my secondaries.. anyone know what is okay to include in the “do you have anything else you want to say to the admissions counsel” question?

Pre writing my secondaries.. anyone know what is okay to include in the “do you have anything else you want to say to the admissions counsel” question?
I've treated this question as intentionally broad for any school that asks it. I would avoid repeating what you have highlighted in your personal statement and other secondaries. For me I've mostly been treating this question to explain what I will be doing with my time after I graduate during my Gap semester, as I will be graduating in December, as I do not mention this anywhere else in my application.

Reactions: 1 users
I've treated this question as intentionally broad for any school that asks it. I would avoid repeating what you have highlighted in your personal statement and other secondaries. For me I've mostly been treating this question to explain what I will be doing with my time after I graduate during my Gap semester, as I will be graduating in December, as I do not mention this anywhere else in my application.

This is a good idea thank you! However FIU has a specific question asking exactly this (not sure if you know)

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary recieved at 5am lol

Secondary received, IS, LzM 75.5

Quick Q. Are people allowed to post this year's secondary prompts onto school specific threads, or is that against the rules? Asking for a friend.

Secondary was the same as last years. Just submitted, best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick Q. Are people allowed to post this year's secondary prompts onto school specific threads, or is that against the rules? Asking for a friend.

You can and should to help out other applicants. Tag the thread starter when you do and they will put it at the top.

Apart from the 4 questions, there is:
"Provide any additional information that you wish the Admission Committee to consider regarding your application. Character limit 1000 (including spaces). "

Is this where one would place their diversity essay?

1. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
2. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
3. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?
4. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?

Reactions: 8 users
What do they want for the question "is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions committee to know?" if I don't have any withdrawals or academic difficulties?

Stupid question but on the LOR page is a physician letter designated as "Graduate/Professional" or "Other"?

Word or character count on the essays?

Secondary submitted on Friday, best of luck everyone!

What do they want for the question "is there any additional information about your academic record that you would like the Admissions committee to know?" if I don't have any withdrawals or academic difficulties?
Also wondering. Do we have to answer this question at all? It doesn't say that it is required.

Also wondering. Do we have to answer this question at all? It doesn't say that it is required.

I would keep it blank if i didn’t have anything to justify, more power to you guys!

What's the character limit for each secondary prompt?

3. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

Should we assume this patient is a certain age?
It is pretty difficult to fit every possible scenario in 1200 characters

Should we assume this patient is a certain age?
It is pretty difficult to fit every possible scenario in 1200 characters
I kept this broad and approached it with my background research in medical ethics. No matter the age of the patient, certain rights need to be upheld for the patient and their family.

Reactions: 2 users
I kept this broad and approached it with my background research in medical ethics. No matter the age of the patient, certain rights need to be upheld for the patient and their family.
Would you mind looking at my response?

Application status updated to "Final Review Complete"

1. Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.
2. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.
4. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?
are there any character limits?

Anyone who is sitting at review completed mind sharing stats/complete date?

Submitted my secondary a couple days ago. IS. Fingers crossed!

Anyone have any idea how seriously med schools take headshots? I wanted a photo that looked like myself/not uncomfortable without being unprofessional. but worried that I missed the mark

Has anyone gotten an interview yet? MSAR says they send out invites on July 6th

I could be mistaken but on last year's thread I saw the first II on August 14th
Yeah, that's what I saw too. I wouldn't expect anything in July.

Anyone have any idea how seriously med schools take headshots? I wanted a photo that looked like myself/not uncomfortable without being unprofessional. but worried that I missed the mark
I'm wondering this too.

Hey yall what did you do for the telephone numbers for the Letters of rec or if the person doesnt have an email address?