2019-2020 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats all!

Since they looped back to July, guess they’re doing their last round of screening. *cries in early July*

I don't think so - they review applications in random order, so all hope is not lost!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think so - they review applications in random order, so all hope is not lost!

Source?

As much as I’d like that to be the case, it’s unlikely and unwise for schools to voluntarily allow randomness in their process. Especially Harvard.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As much as I’d like that to be the case, it’s unlikely and unwise for schools to voluntarily allow randomness in their process. Especially Harvard.

No source, but what I heard is that their apps are randomized so everyone is seen the same # of times in an arbitrary order, and this is how they ensure that their process is fair while being truly non-rolling

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Source?

I feel like the vast majority of schools don't review in chronological order, but rather prioritize apps based on certain criteria and/or scoring systems. Is there something that makes you think harvard does so otherwise- like maybe something in a previous thread?

No source, but what I heard is that their apps are randomized so everyone is seen the same # of times in an arbitrary order, and this is how they ensure that their process is fair while being truly non-rolling

I’m going to keep on telling myself that I still have a shot then.

Reactions: 7 users
Source?

According to a sibling who went to HMS, though maybe it has changed since they attended >4 years ago.

Most schools review some groups of students out of order, specifically URM category. So you will notice a URM getting an interview a week or two after submission late in the cycle when they have a LizzyM score of let us say 75+ because the school simply does not have enough qualified applicants in those categories, especially a school like Harvard or Stanford to be choosy.

Other categories that push you to the top of the line will be those awards they ask you about in the application - i.e., did you get one of those.

I feel like the vast majority of schools don't review in chronological order, but rather prioritize apps based on certain criteria and/or scoring systems. Is there something that makes you think harvard does so otherwise- like maybe something in a previous thread?

What makes me assume that Harvard reviews with a degree of randomness (even if they do somewhat prioritize those groups - aka they get a bump) is the fact that they assure that everyone is considered equally for an interview no matter the time of submission

I’m going to keep on telling myself that I still have a shot then.

I have no authority as a lowly premed, but I believe in you !!! (and everyone else reading this!)

• Love
So would it be worth it to send an update letter at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW CHECKED MY INBOX AND SAW AN II FOR PATHWAYS THIS MORNING!! Complete late July

View attachment 284775
Ah my hot blood is boiling over with excitement as you move through the springtime of youth!

I'm following my own applicant way and want to prove that I can be a great doctor even without II’s and A’s! That’s my applicant way!
Thank you for your support!
#SmileGleam #ThumbUp

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Ah my hot blood is boiling over with excitement as you move through the springtime of youth!

I'm following my own applicant way and want to prove that I can be a great doctor even without II’s and A’s! That’s my applicant way!
Thank you for your support!
#SmileGleam #ThumbUp
Are you from earth

• Haha
+1

Several mstp applicants who were complete months after me got IIs already... I really just want a chance here

Oh have they sent many of those decisions out? Haven't followed this thread closely. My md app is definitely weaker than my phd app tbh, and I wouldnt consider non-mstp

Oh have they sent many of those decisions out? Haven't followed this thread closely. My md app is definitely weaker than my phd app tbh, and I wouldnt consider non-mstp

Why not? Anyone has the opportunity to affiliate with the MSTP program after they are admitted.

Why not? Anyone has the opportunity to affiliate with the MSTP program after they are admitted.

True, but your first two years of med school would no longer be funded. I suppose getting into Harvard in the first place might make up for that, depending on your finances and other options (e.g. already having an acceptance at an mstp)

True, but your first two years of med school would no longer be funded. I suppose getting into Harvard in the first place might make up for that, depending on your finances and other options (e.g. already having an acceptance at an mstp)

I feel your pain. I just wanted a decision for better or worse at this point....

Wish I was privy to that joke lol
I would’ve filled you in but the, “Are you even from this planet,” comment didn’t phase me. I just thought you were referring to how out of this world I am! :p

Wish I was privy to that joke lol
Highly recommend watching Naruto while waiting for admissions decisions/ interviews. It will take your mind off of things and it’s one of the greatest works of arts of our time (skip the filler episodes though).

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Highly recommend watching Naruto while waiting for admissions decisions/ interviews. It will take your mind off of things and it’s one of the greatest works of arts of our time (skip the filler episodes though).

+1. Even without fillers there’s like 400 episodes so it’ll definitely keep you occupied. Also highly recommend Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure for anyone who needs a distraction during decision wait time

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, I STRONGLY agree with this statement! I'm re-watching the series, and am currently on episode 207.

Shippuden becomes a hot mess though

I am more partial to HunterXHunter but it is not nearly as long of a series.

• Love
So Harvard sent me an actual letter in the mail to apply this year after getting my MCAT score back. I got it around end of August.

My question: is it too late to apply so I can go ahead to get my full ride? Or do I have time?

Reactions: 3 users
I just received a II today! HST program and pathways.

My interviews are mid December, one day after the other (complete 9/25). Also - I didn’t get to select a day, they were assigned.

Reactions: 10 users
I just received a II today! HST program and pathways.

My interviews are mid December, one day after the other (complete 9/25). Also - I didn’t get to select a day, they were assigned.
Can you share your stats.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
BTW - that's why there was a "like". THANK YOU FOR THE INSIGHT
Your question marks kind of implied that there was insight needed so I was happy to give a helping hand

Can you share your stats.

Yep, gotchu. I’m an engineer (two degrees, non-trad) 71 LizzyM with some unique ECs. (However, if you consider my second degree only my LizzyM jumps to 78).

It’s nice to see the process is holistic :)!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
BTW - that's why there was a "like". THANK YOU FOR THE INSIGHT
Yep, gotchu. I’m an engineer (two degrees, non-trad) 71 LizzyM with some unique ECs. (However, if you consider my second degree only my LizzyM jumps to 78).

It’s nice to see the process is holistic :)!
Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Someone offered me a helping hand to inform that just giving a thumbs up on your achievement is not enough so CONGRATULATIONS.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Someone offered me a helping hand to inform that just giving a thumbs up on your achievement is not enough so CONGRATULATIONS.

thanks! You have stellar scores, I’m sure good things are coming your way ;)

II this morning for Pathways! Complete late August.

Reactions: 8 users
II! LM 69, ORM, complete late july

Edit: They are currently on mid-late november

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Guess it's just a matter of waiting. Dont lose hope guys! Congrats to everyone who got IIs today!!

II! LM 69, ORM, complete late july

Edit: They are currently on mid-late november
Surprising everyone is running in January already and Harvard is still giving IIs for next week.

Surprising everyone is running in January already and Harvard is still giving IIs for next week.
Harvard can say "come in for an interview tomorrow" and people would find a way to make that happen.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Harvard can say "come in for an interview tomorrow" and people would find a way to make that happen.
Harvard could say “Come in for an interview yesterday,” and anyone who makes it happen gets an automatic A.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I'll 1-up them and tell them I can be there within a hour to really show my commitment :whistle:

Also, sdn emojis are wild, like there's a banana being beaten up in a bloody pulp. I mean what would that ever be used for??

• Haha