2019-2020 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ya i'm still salty. it was a humanities class from freshman year
Bummer, I recommend SPF 80. It's a different kind of sun down in the Caribbean

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Pretty sure it says to "briefly" describe your experiences since graduating lol

If they want brief they should make the character limit lower. But yeah, I won't be writing too much for that one.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they want brief they should make the character limit lower. But yeah, I won't be writing too much for that one.

True, true. I have like 3800 characters for mine. not really sure what/how much detail they want...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Bummer, I recommend SPF 80. It's a different kind of sun down in the Caribbean
You just lightened up my mood as I am slaving away in lab and trying to write secondaries. If I have a successful cycle, it will be thanks to you.

Hey all, I am an applicant from last cycle who interviewed on the second day and got in with a full ride scholarship. Although I decided to attend another school I would be happy to give some feedback on anything you guys are wondering about!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, I am an applicant from last cycle who interviewed on the second day and got in with a full ride scholarship. Although I decided to attend another school I would be happy to give some feedback on anything you guys are wondering about!
What got you to pull away from a full ride to Harvard?

What got you to pull away from a full ride to Harvard?
I liked the culture and mission of another school that I got a full ride at, but you can PM me if you want more info!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone here, maybe the Harvard M1's from last cycle, who can speak to the outcome of answering no essay questions for Harvard? Yes #2 is optional. But if you are a traditional applicant, then that leaves you with no expression in the secondary and your entire application riding on AMCAS. I know for a fact that at the undergrad level, Harvard's "optional" supplemental essay is notoriously optional unless you want to be accepted LOL. Are there any stats or inside knowledge regarding how many applicants who had "empty" secondaries actually got IIs or acceptances?

Is there anyone here, maybe the Harvard M1's from last cycle, who can speak to the outcome of answering no essay questions for Harvard? Yes #2 is optional. But if you are a traditional applicant, then that leaves you with no expression in the secondary and your entire application riding on AMCAS. I know for a fact that at the undergrad level, Harvard's "optional" supplemental essay is notoriously optional unless you want to be accepted LOL. Are there any stats or inside knowledge regarding how many applicants who had "empty" secondaries actually got IIs or acceptances?
I know a lot of people who got in and did not fill it in. It is truly optional unless you have something of substance to say

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how applying to HMS from harvard undergrad works? I saw a post on reddit that said the House masters/committees can identify 2 students per house to definitely admit. Does the committee make direct recs to HMS?
Does Dumbledore have final say?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how applying to HMS from harvard undergrad works? I saw a post on reddit that said the House masters/committees can identify 2 students per house to definitely admit. Does the committee make direct recs to HMS?
I don't know anything about the houses or whatever, but when I was on daddy's yacht, Senator Markey said he'd be getting me in.

But actually, the website says they don't give any preference to the Ivies in general or any school in particular. Although they could just be lying lol

I don't know anything about the houses or whatever, but when I was on daddy's yacht, Senator Markey said he'd be getting me in.

But actually, the website says they don't give any preference to the Ivies in general or any school in particular. Although they could just be lying lol
A school lying about nepotism???? BLASPHEMY

• Haha
Does Dumbledore have final say?
IIRC there was a comment on that thread explaining that committee letters come from the houses, but there's no guaranteed number of admits or anything

edit- my bad, quoted the wrong person

You ever just been so poor that this kind of weird disconnect from the realities of the world outside of the upper echelons makes no sense to you?

I’m one of the many non-resident tutors at HMS. This wouldn’t happen, trust me. There’s so many steps in the committee letter process that it just wouldn’t happen. While an HMS student MIGHT write the initial draft (residents, fellows, visiting med students, and attendings can also be non-resident and resident tutors), the deans of each house ultimately sign off on the letter at the end. The committee always does its best to promote applicants in the most positive way possible and if there was a conflict that resulted in a spiteful letter, that tutor would be recused from writing that student’s letter. On our end, these letters are pretty formulaic, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the HST prompt?

Does anyone have the HST prompt?

I haven't gotten a secondary here yet, but last year the prompt was:

HST Essay (ESSAY FOR APPLICATIONS TO THE HARVARD-MIT DIVISION OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY (HST)): The HST MD program draws on the combined resources of Harvard and MIT to provide a distinct preclinical education tailored to preparing students for careers as physician-scientists across the full spectrum of disciplines including biological, physical and engineering sciences. HST classes are small, commonly include graduate students and have an emphasis on quantitative and analytic approaches, centered on understanding disease mechanisms and preparing students to solve unmet needs in medicine ranging from novel diagnostics and therapeutics to applications of ‘big data’ and systems engineering as they relate to healthcare. Please focus on how your interests, experiences and aspirations have prepared you for HST (rather than identifying specific HST faculty or research opportunities). Limit your comments to the equivalent of one page of single spaced text with a font size of 10 or 12. (4000 Char)

+3

@PapaGuava

If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.
If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine.(4000 character maximum)
Our interview season runs from mid-September through January. Please indicate any significant (three or more weeks) restriction on your availability for interviews during this period. If none, leave blank.

For research supervisors, would you only include your PI? Curious if I should include letter writers who edited and guided my research thesis

Anyone else applying to a MD/PhD in the social sciences at Harvard?

MD/PhD prompts:
1. Indicate the Ph.D. program type you are applying to: (either "Basic and Translational Sciences" or "Social Sciences"
2. Briefly list your research interests/areas; use keywords only. This information is not binding. (100 character limit):
3. Please list the names of all Research Supervisors who will be submitting letters of recommendation on your behalf. Letters should be sent directly to the American Medical School Application Service (AMCAS). Copies should not be sent to the MD-PhD Program Office.
If you have waived your right of access to any of your recommendations, please indicate this by checking the box to the right of each document to which you have waived access.
4. Please list publications, indicating for each whether it is published, submitted/under review, or in preparation. Limited to 1,000 characters (including spaces).

For PhD's in the social sciences only:
1. Describe your reasons and motivations for pursuing a graduate degree in your chosen program of study at Harvard. What experiences led you to your research ambitions? Concisely state your past work in your intended field of study and in related fields. Briefly indicate your career objectives. Your statement should not exceed 1,000 words. Health Policy applicants should indicate the concentration(s) and policy area(s) of interest.
2. Please see Program Details to determine whether the program to which you are applying requires a writing sample, CV, or other documents. Please follow departmental requirements on type and size of writing sample. Unless noted, writing sample is limited to 20 pages. (upload)

Does anyone know if the upper-division mathematics courses/calc based physics is a strict requirement for HST? I will not have those (Highest mathematics is Calc 1+2 from AP credits and Biostats, however I do have two years working in a molecular modeling lab for credit if that counts for anything?)

Edit: Disregard, I don't want to write the HST essay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the upper-division mathematics courses/calc based physics is a strict requirement for HST? I will not have those (Highest mathematics is Calc 1+2 from AP credits and Biostats, however I do have two years working in a molecular modeling lab for credit if that counts for anything?)

Edit: Disregard, I don't want to write the HST essay.
Just for anyone else who may have the same question--yes, a year of calc-based physics is a requirement, and in addition the program expects coursework through diff eq and linear algebra, though those seem more like suggestions than requirements.

Just for anyone else who may have the same question--yes, a year of calc-based physics is a requirement, and in addition the program expects coursework through diff eq and linear algebra, though those seem more like suggestions than requirements.

Sounds like I'm underqualified but I applied anyway. :shrug:

My letters of reference still haven't been marked as received, though the site acknowledges their receipts and dates. Anyone else?

I thought "this sounds dope!" reading through the HST thing, but I think this is actually the first time this application cycle that I have actively decided not to due something out of laziness.

If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

If you have already graduated, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since graduation.

Both of these appear and seem kinda redundant. I'm assuming I should leave the second one blank, if I'm answering the first one?

If you are re-applying, briefly (4000 characters max) summarize your activities since your previous application.

Both of these appear and seem kinda redundant. I'm assuming I should leave the second one blank, if I'm answering the first one?

Depends on how long it has been since you graduated.

Depends on how long it has been since you graduated.

I graduated in 2018, and applied in 2017 for the entering class of 2018 . For better or worse, most of the things that I've done since my last app (cycle finished ~last spring) are basically things I've done since graduating. Rather than be redundant, I'm thinking that I'll leave one blank.