2019-2020 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! MS1 from JABSOM here (honestly still shook I’m here, lol)! I’ve gotten a couple of you message me personally, so If you guys have any questions at all about JABSOM or the interview process, just lmk! Love helping fellow/future students out, so feel free to reach out to me :)
Hi I have II for Jabsom. How can I message you personally to ask for some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Uhhhhh what the heck. Just got an II from here!! So unexpected.

OOS, no ties to Hawaii, LM 74-75

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last night II. OOS but grew up in Honolulu for 8 years and both parents worked at UH.

A bit confused though. So JABSOM doesn't provide you interview dates like other schools? We have to contact our two interviewers and try to coordinate all of our different schedules to try and find a day we can all meet? lol

Last night II. OOS but grew up in Honolulu for 8 years and both parents worked at UH.

A bit confused though. So JABSOM doesn't provide you interview dates like other schools? We have to contact our two interviewers and try to coordinate all of our different schedules to try and find a day we can all meet? lol
Yep. Got an II last year and that's how it worked.

So JABSOM doesn't provide you interview dates like other schools? We have to contact our two interviewers and try to coordinate all of our different schedules to try and find a day we can all meet? lol
Let them know you don't reside in Hawaii and they're very understanding that you'll probably have to reply back and forth over email before dates are finalized. They're know you're coordinating with three interviewers so my first two interviewers sent me a bunch of dates/times in their first reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if there are cheaper accommodations to stay in while we're there for the Interview besides hotels? Anything like student hosts?

Anyone else still waiting to here back? The last email I received was on Sept 14 regarding the delay in reviewing secondary applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received II 10/25/19, complete 8/1, LM 68

Just Received an II! 11/12/2019. Complete in early August. LM 75.5, OOS. So excited! Just wanted to ask how am I supposed to introduce myself to interviewers in the email to schedule an interview?

Thank you!

Just wanted to ask how am I supposed to introduce myself to interviewers in the email to schedule an interview?

I basically said something along the lines of "my name is _____ and I am very excited to be interviewing with you for admission to JABSOM."
I also included why JABSOM is basically my top choice but it was a genuine and really brief intro.

For those who already interviewed, did you send a thank you note to Dr. Asano in addition to your two interviewers?

(for those who don't know, Dr. Asano's meeting isn't as much of an interview format. She does ask some questions but mostly discusses the process after the interviews)

I basically said something along the lines of "my name is _____ and I am very excited to be interviewing with you for admission to JABSOM."
I also included why JABSOM is basically my top choice but it was a genuine and really brief intro.
Thanks dude! Hope your interview went well!

So since interviews here are entirely scheduled individually, are interview days purely just on our own? Probably wont be any other interviewees/applicants there with us?

There is a campus tour where you will meet a few other interviewers (at least thats how it was last year) but other than that my interviews last time werent even on campus and they were all different days. I would just go to the doctors office or wherever.

So since interviews here are entirely scheduled individually, are interview days purely just on our own? Probably wont be any other interviewees/applicants there with us?
Yes the only time you will be interacting with other applicants is if you do the campus tour.

Just got accepted here!! Wow! I can’t believe it! All the hard work finally paid off. I guess I’m staying in HAWAII!! Yay!! So happyyyyyy. Thank you JABSOM!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted here!! Wow! I can’t believe it! All the hard work finally paid off. I guess I’m staying in HAWAII!! Yay!! So happyyyyyy. Thank you JABSOM!
CONGRATS THATS SO AMAZING!! I’m hoping to stay in Hawaii too!
Do you mind sharing your stats and interview date? You must have awesome stats/experiences to have heard earlier than March

CONGRATS THATS SO AMAZING!! I’m hoping to stay in Hawaii too!
Do you mind sharing your stats and interview date? You must have awesome stats/experiences to have heard earlier than March
I hope you can stay in Hawaii! I have average accepted students gpa and mcat. I do have three years of army medic experience tho, I think that helped. I am really surprised I got in already too. Good luck to you!!

• Love
Interviewed here awhile ago and during my last interview with Asano she gave me her business card and wrote the financial aid contact on the back. Does she do this for everyone interviewing? Thoughts?

Interviewed here awhile ago and during my last interview with Asano she gave me her business card and wrote the financial aid contact on the back. Does she do this for everyone interviewing? Thoughts?
Did it for me as well at least. Probably for everyone just to have a financial aid contact in case you have questions. Especially since JABSOM doesn't have a standard "Interview Day" with lots of info sessions that might have answered your financial aid questions while you were there.

They really make OOS students fly in three separate times to interview plus a possible fourth time to tour?? All for a 15-20% post-acceptance rate at most for OOS? Seems like an easy way to waste like 4 grand or more. Wish I could have attended but I just don’t have the money or time. Hawaii seemed nice besides the 420k sticker price too. Oh well.

Oh no absolutely not! Your interviewers will understand and will most likely accommodate their schedule to yours. You just have to mention the time you will be visiting Oahu. Scheduling all 3 within a couple days is totally doable. All in one day is possible too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They really make OOS students fly in three separate times to interview plus a possible fourth time to tour?? All for a 15-20% post-acceptance rate at most for OOS? Seems like an easy way to waste like 4 grand or more. Wish I could have attended but I just don’t have the money or time. Hawaii seemed nice besides the 420k sticker price too. Oh well.

Of course they don’t expect you to make more than one trip. My interviewers each provided a month’s worth of their availabilities when I told them that I still currently reside in California and I just coordinated what overlapped with my availability. I had one interview on a Wednesday and then the second one, Dr. Asano’s, and my tour all on the very next day. Everyone from Hawaii knows how expensive it is to fly in and for hotels

Just curious, has anyone not had Dr. Asano as the final interviewer?
I'm pretty sure everyone has her as the last interviewer since she's the Director of Admissions

I ask because I don't have her as my final interviewer lol
Wow, super interesting. Do you mean you don't have an interview with her at all (out of your 3)? Or she's just not your final one?

Wow, super interesting. Do you mean you don't have an interview with her at all (out of your 3)? Or she's just not your final one?
I don't have an interview with her at all lol. My third interviewer is instead with Dr. Lozanoff who is faculty at JABSOM. Maybe she's away that week?

I'm not interviewing with her either. This happened last year as well. It was sort of a last minute change

• Hmm
Maybe we're all due for the reject pile then.. :(

I don't think they would interview us unless there was a potential spot. It's just a super tiny school so every faculty member has to wear a ton of hats and they need to be flexible.

From what I understand, when decisions go out it's literally just one person manually sending out a hundred e-mails.

I know it's a little early, but for any current students lurking; does anyone know when they send out financial aid offers? I know their website says we can apply to scholarships AFTER the first semester starts, but will we know of any aid before July?

Anyone know JABSOM's policies on LOI's? Do they read them or take them into account? I feel like most Admission's Committees do not accept or pay attention to them, but figured I'd ask to check.

Anyone know JABSOM's policies on LOI's? Do they read them or take them into account? I feel like most Admission's Committees do not accept or pay attention to them, but figured I'd ask to check.

From what it said in the “closed file” email after my interview, they wouldn’t be accepting additional “documents, letters, or updates”. Probably wouldn’t look at anything until after they send out decisions ?

Yeah I emailed the Admissions Office about it, they said: "we are unable to accept any updates or letters of intent at this time. If you are placed on the JABSOM waitlist, you will be allowed the opportunity to provide updates and a letter of intent to be added to your application file"

Reactions: 1 users

She did the same for me as well!

Yeah I emailed the Admissions Office about it, they said: "we are unable to accept any updates or letters of intent at this time. If you are placed on the JABSOM waitlist, you will be allowed the opportunity to provide updates and a letter of intent to be added to your application file"

Got the same result from an update letter.

Just got a request from their financial aid office , but I’m wondering if they sent that to all applicants?

Just got a request from their financial aid office , but I’m wondering if they sent that to all applicants?
What kind of request was it? Also, anyone else excited but scared that it’s March!? :p

Reactions: 1 users
I did not get a request from Hawaii and I interviewed there so not sure if it is meant for everyone!

What kind of request was it? Also, anyone else excited but scared that it’s March!? :p

Mostly just scared. I really want to get in here but I'm mentally preparing for the worst.

How are you guys holding up?

Mostly just scared. I really want to get in here but I'm mentally preparing for the worst.

How are you guys holding up?
I am just sooooo scared and anxious! I want to and don't want to get an email from them at the same time.