2019-2020 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed yesterday through Zoom. Would it be beneficial to upload a letter of intent right now, or is this only something I should do if I am waitlisted?
You can email Lyman if you want. He responded to me fairly quick.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe they have sent all their interview invites out.

I wouldn't lose too much hope!! they may have sent out all their interviews, but with corona virus it might have been delayed with figuring out how to proceed with this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there anymore interview invitations being extended from MSUCOM?
I wouldn't lose too much hope!! they may have sent out all their interviews, but with corona virus it might have been delayed with figuring out how to proceed with this cycle!

Any 3/6 people hear back today?

Hi, I had a question for current MSU students or anyone else who knows.
I am accepted to MSU. I applied for the optional specific programs. I have an interview lined up. However, I was hoping to decline to be part of the program. I still want to go through the interview in case I change my mind. My question is can I decline to join the program even after the interview?

Has MSUCOM released their match list for 2020 yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I had a question for current MSU students or anyone else who knows.
I am accepted to MSU. I applied for the optional specific programs. I have an interview lined up. However, I was hoping to decline to be part of the program. I still want to go through the interview in case I change my mind. My question is can I decline to join the program even after the interview?
Going to assume that like med school acceptances, that they will OFFER you an acceptance. You can reject that offer if you want.

I saw that but am surprised nobody said they were accepted.
2/20 interviews heard back last week. I am also on the tier 1 waitlist. Surprised about that because I thought my interview went really well. I have not heard of anyone getting an acceptance from that day, yet at least...I'm going to guess that they're holding back on acceptances for now because of COVID. Pretty sure that the waitlist will move when they know more about the upcoming year and after May when people start rescinding their acceptances.

I know several MSU students who are learning and doing their exams from home, so who knows if they'll even start by June.

Reactions: 1 users
2/20 interviews heard back last week. I am also on the tier 1 waitlist. Surprised about that because I thought my interview went really well. I have not heard of anyone getting an acceptance from that day, yet at least...I'm going to guess that they're holding back on acceptances for now because of COVID. Pretty sure that the waitlist will move when they know more about the upcoming year and after May when people start rescinding their acceptances.

I know several MSU students who are learning and doing their exams from home, so who knows if they'll even start by June.
I really hope that's not true and probably people just haven't reported back with As. I remember several of the interviewers and Lyman himself assuring us seats still remained and that we're not merely interviewing for WLs alone. Can't say for sure though

I really hope that's not true and probably people just haven't reported back with As. I remember several of the interviewers and Lyman himself assuring us seats still remained and that we're not merely interviewing for WLs alone. Can't say for sure though
Hope that's the case! But this is uncharted territory, so who knows. I guess we'll find out soon. :nailbiting: Good luck!

Where do you think you heard this (the 3/27 part)? I’m also waiting :/ WL tier I.
Somehow through creeping I had come upon the list of things needed for orientation and I believe that it said that the items should be bought by 3/27. But again, if you haven’t heard anything yet, I don’t imagine that they would expect for you to by buy then. Someone fell free to correct me if I’m wrong!

Yeah it says to order by March 27th and "If accepted to MSUCOM after this date, please place your order as soon as possible." It can be found on the MSUCOM website here, under: "Orientation Order Information: Please order by Friday, March 27, 2020"

I've tried contacting a few people from the school wondering if any changes will be made to the timeline of enrollment compliances due to COVID19 last week. Unfortunately, haven't heard back from anyone yet. I bought only the things required to be purchased from MSU. It ended up totaling to ~$500. A few of the other things, like anatomy probe, scrubs etc. I'll just get on Amazon or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know which sites are full? I know Macomb was still open at this time last year, but just trying to figure out where I would be located if I end up getting accepted.

Does anyone know which sites are full? I know Macomb was still open at this time last year, but just trying to figure out where I would be located if I end up getting accepted.
At the 3/6 interview, they said that Detroit and Macomb were full. Only EL has spaces. However, Macomb has a short waitlist. Detroit's waitlist on the other hand... lol

At the 3/6 interview, they said that Detroit and Macomb were full. Only EL has spaces. However, Macomb has a short waitlist. Detroit's waitlist on the other hand... lol

Thank you! Do you think getting into Macomb would be likely?

Thank you! Do you think getting into Macomb would be likely?
I mean, I honestly have no idea. All that I know is that they said that the waitlist is relatively short so if you go ahead and put your name on, you should have a pretty good chance

Let’s hope this is the week for 3/6!

Rejection pre-II just now. Was hoping for some love from my own school. I feel like I built up so much false hope as in I thought I would have the opportunity to interview virtually, honestly heartbroken

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if MSUCOM offers merit or need-based scholarships? If so, how do we go about applying for them? Thank you!!
So this is what it says on their website about scholarships available to incoming students:

"The MSUCOM Scholarship Committee awards scholarships to incoming students based on their admission application materials, taking in to account evidence of financial need, academic prowess, service to community, etc. There is not a separate scholarship application to complete"

So I believe they just look at all your information and go from there. Also, it also said if you receive a scholarship you will know prior to matriculation. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Which location would be better if I want to be more involved in clinical research, the Detroit or EL site? I just assumed the Detroit one because of its vicinity to numerous hospitals and health care networks but wanted to get a second opinion.

Which location would be better if I want to be more involved in clinical research, the Detroit or EL site? I just assumed the Detroit one because of its vicinity to numerous hospitals and health care networks but wanted to get a second opinion.
Not sure about “better” but I was told during my interview that all campuses offer clinical research. However, wet research is EL only.

R, pre-II. No worries! MSU just missed out on a great applicant. Best of luck to everyone here :)

I was added to Macomb waitlist last week and just got offered a spot there today! So there is definitely movement for Macomb waitlist at least

3/6 interviewer.... just got placed in the tier 1 waitlist. I know that they’re supposedly a lot of waitlist movement on this tier, so I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed!

edit - read through threads and answered my own question lol

Last edited:
Did anyone else not hear back from 3/6 interview?

Rejection pre-II just now. Was hoping for some love from my own school. I feel like I built up so much false hope as in I thought I would have the opportunity to interview virtually, honestly heartbroken

I feel this on a spiritual level

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received their financial aid package, am worried as I am OOS

Has anyone received their financial aid package, am worried as I am OOS
Did you receive the email that they are reducing OOS tuition by 25%? So 87K will go to roughly 65K which is much more reasonable

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if this has been answered but does anyone have insight on Tier 2 WL chances or is it pretty much only Tier 1 that has a chance?

Is anyone accepted with OOS tuition and worried about cost?....any current med students with OOS tuition that can provide feedback?

I do hope the rest of 3/6 hear back today. It’s been one month.

Interviewed 2/20 also just accepted by phone!

And you were waitlisted Wednesday? I also interviewed 3/6 and have heard nothing. Hoping for a call soon.
Yep! I’m absolutely stunned by the turn around but so happy. I’m hoping for the best for you!

I also interviewed 3/6...waiting patiently but haven’t gotten any email or information besides being asked for my Fall grades.