2019-2020 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe you failed CASPer. Jk. They seem to be rolling in at different times for everyone.
Exactly haha, just letting my paranoia get to me and trying to find an excuse to procrastinate at work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does the character count include spaces? 1500 characters with spaces is like 200 words... I realize this might be a moot point for some people, but would require some serious gutting for me...
I assume it is including spaces, since that's how it was for AMCAS. could be wrong tho.

Also I prefer writing less lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UMich not require letters to be in before you're considered complete? Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it only says "Your file will not be complete until your CASPer score, your Secondary Application and payment have been received."

Does UMich not require letters to be in before you're considered complete? Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it only says "Your file will not be complete until your CASPer score, your Secondary Application and payment have been received."

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just looked at last year's thread and nobody was marked complete until ~July 11th because it took them a while to download the CASPer scores, so you might have some time before your letters need to be in.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I just looked at last year's thread and nobody was marked complete until ~July 11th because it took them a while to download the CASPer scores, so you might have some time before your letters need to be in.

Haha, I'm dealing with a committee letter, so who knows when it'll be ready. I'd be thrilled if it was as early as the 11th!

Does the character count include spaces? 1500 characters with spaces is like 200 words... I realize this might be a moot point for some people, but would require some serious gutting for me...
It worked out to around 235 words for me for each essay. Maybe just use smaller words lol JK. Easy peasy prompts. Now when do we hear back..?

It worked out to around 235 words for me for each essay. Maybe just use smaller words lol JK. Easy peasy prompts. Now when do we hear back..?

First II go out around mid July. UMich is very transparent with the application process. They send out II out once a week and keep the numbers updated on their tracker on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
First II go out around mid July. UMich is very transparent with the application process. They send out II out once a week and keep the numbers updated on their tracker on their website.
Do you have a link to that? My googling skills are novice at best.

Right now it’s still last year’s tracker. Looks like they interview ~500 people. And based on last year’s thread they send out ~40 II per week starting mid July.

just got verified and received secondary within 30 seconds

Reactions: 2 users
So the first question feels like they're asking which of their Paths of Excellence you would fall into. I feel I could do either Global Health or Research. Do you think it's weak to talk about both? Or should I pick one and stick to it

So the first question feels like they're asking which of their Paths of Excellence you would fall into. I feel I could do either Global Health or Research. Do you think it's weak to talk about both? Or should I pick one and stick to it

1500 characters isn’t very much so I would choose one.

If you're an in-state resident prepare for many disappointing Mondays.

They generally interview OOS people first.

Reactions: 1 users
So if I didn’t receive my secondary yet. My MCAT is definitely above that 25th percentile they mentioned and as far as I can tell my processed primary doesn’t have any issues and it is all complete. If I don’t receive it in the next few days, is this cause for concern?

So if I didn’t receive my secondary yet. My MCAT is definitely above that 25th percentile they mentioned and as far as I can tell my processed primary doesn’t have any issues and it is all complete. If I don’t receive it in the next few days, is this cause for concern?
Just wait it out, my MCAT is definitely above the cutoff as well and I havent recieved a secondary. They're probably releasing in batches. Keep an eye on your inbox in Monday, and give it a few days.

If you're an in-state resident prepare for many disappointing Mondays.

They generally interview OOS people first.
Thankfully, the schools I am in state for don’t accept any OOS! Yay.

• Haha
Disclaimer: I don't speak for the UMich adcoms and this reflects my own view based on what I know of the admissions office.

With that being said, I see a lot of anxiety over the PoE secondary prompt. I don't think that they expect you to know exactly what path you want to do at this point. A bunch of us M1s didn't know what path we wanted to do until right before PoE applications were due. I think that this secondary question is trying to get you to speak about what you are passionate about and how that may look should you come to Michigan. They are really big on the idea of their students making an impact both in medical school and afterwards. If it were me, I would try to talk about my passions and how that might look in the future as a medical student and Michigan and as a Michigan MD grad, and perhaps tie in the idea of the paths as a way to help get there.

Reactions: 7 users
What's an appropriate abbreviation for University of Michigan? lol

I'm OOS with very strong ties to Ann Arbor and I want to explain that somewhere in my app. Would the additional uploads be the most appropriate place to do so, or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Disclaimer: I don't speak for the UMich adcoms and this reflects my own view based on what I know of the admissions office.

With that being said, I see a lot of anxiety over the PoE secondary prompt. I don't think that they expect you to know exactly what path you want to do at this point. A bunch of us M1s didn't know what path we wanted to do until right before PoE applications were due. I think that this secondary question is trying to get you to speak about what you are passionate about and how that may look should you come to Michigan. They are really big on the idea of their students making an impact both in medical school and afterwards. If it were me, I would try to talk about my passions and how that might look in the future as a medical student and Michigan and as a Michigan MD grad, and perhaps tie in the idea of the paths as a way to help get there.
Are you allowed to pick 2 paths? I want to mention two different paths since they both relate to my future career goals.

I added this school to my primary last night and got the secondary within a couple of minutes

Are you allowed to pick 2 paths? I want to mention two different paths since they both relate to my future career goals.
You aren't allowed to join two paths as a student, but I don't see anything wrong with expressing interest in two at this stage if you have enough room.

Would anyone like to read/trade the diversity prompt? I'm having a harder time writing this than I thought...

Application marked "Application Complete" on their portal sometime yesterday. Primary verified 6/4 @ 3 PM PST, CASPer completed 6/13, Secondary received 6/28 @1230 PM PST, submitted 6/28 @440 PM PST.

Reactions: 2 users
Application marked "Application Complete" on their portal sometime yesterday. Primary verified 6/4 @ 3 PM PST, CASPer completed 6/13, Secondary received 6/28 @1230 PM PST, submitted 6/28 @440 PM PST.

Oh no! I’m “late” now. Still waiting on one LOR. Also, jk about being late.

Seems like CASper is working a lot faster this year.

Edit: Or maybe the school is.

6/13 Casper has been saying "results delivered" for a while now, I think at this point it's just up to individual schools to process them

Before I submit... When they ask if we have taken a formal post bacc, does that include taking UG courses a la carte (like DIY postbacc)? Or does "formal post bacc" mean a dedicated program that ends in a certificate?

Could someone link the secondary prompts for this year?

Before I submit... When they ask if we have taken a formal post bacc, does that include taking UG courses a la carte (like DIY postbacc)? Or does "formal post bacc" mean a dedicated program that ends in a certificate?

I think it means the latter.

For those who have submitted--- When you go to the portal and look @ checklist, is our LOR box blank? The letter I assigned to the school through AMCAS doesn't even show up there. There's no names at all.

For those who have submitted--- When you go to the portal and look @ checklist, is our LOR box blank? The letter I assigned to the school through AMCAS doesn't even show up there. There's no names at all.

For me sometimes it shows my letter writers and sometimes it is blank. Just a glitch I think.

For me sometimes it shows my letter writers and sometimes it is blank. Just a glitch I think.
Ok. I checked AMCAS and I did link my letter so I guess it's out of my control. Is there a separate way to check when they receive CASPER as well? Or am I just waiting for a complete email at this point :confused:

Ok. I checked AMCAS and I did link my letter so I guess it's out of my control. Is there a separate way to check when they receive CASPER as well? Or am I just waiting for a complete email at this point :confused:
I didn’t even get a complete email. Just checked their checklist manually.

Edit: Same with CASPer

MemeLord has a “complete” status on the portal so I’m assuming if you have everything in you will too. I’m still waiting on one LOR. Do you only have one letter assigned? I think you need at least 3...

MemeLord has a “complete” status on the portal so I’m assuming if you have everything in you will too. I’m still waiting on one LOR. Do you only have one letter assigned? I think you need at least 3...

I just see the green "Submitted" in the top right corner...
I'm using a committee letter, so all my letters go under one "packet".