2019-2020 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For the first question on the secondary, do you think we should specifically and explicitly mention which of the paths we want to pursue? I am pretty sure I want to pick one certain one.

For the first question on the secondary, do you think we should specifically and explicitly mention which of the paths we want to pursue? I am pretty sure I want to pick one certain one.
It couldn’t hurt. They even reference their pathways, so they want you to at least look at it.

Reactions: 1 users
It couldn’t hurt. They even reference their pathways, so they want you to at least look at it.

That said, the way the question is phrased, it doesn't seem like you need to. I read it more as "if you need ideas for what kinds of things we're talking about, see here." I ended up going somewhere in between. I discussed interests that matched up with their pathways, but never explicitly said anything like "...and that's why I want to pursue X pathway."

Reactions: 3 users
That said, the way the question is phrased, it doesn't seem like you need to. I read it more as "if you need ideas for what kinds of things we're talking about, see here." I ended up going somewhere in between. I discussed interests that matched up with their pathways, but never explicitly said anything like "...and that's why I want to pursue X pathway."
Sounds about right! I put something like “this is why I wanna do this, this is what I want to do, just as I have done this I believe the XXX PoE will allow me to accomplish this through X Y Z.” Pretty straight forward

Yup, been delivered for awhile. Just getting neurotic :D

Don't worry about it. Takes some time for them to download CASPer results, and I assume they only do it during the weekdays.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds about right! I put something like “this is why I wanna do this, this is what I want to do, just as I have done this I believe the XXX PoE will allow me to accomplish this through X Y Z.” Pretty straight forward
Wrote “University of Michigan School of Medicine” instead of “University of Michigan Medical School.” FML.

Apparently triple checking that you out the correct school name is not sufficient...will put a fourth check in there next time...

I doubt this will have a significant detriment...but will this have a significant detriment?

Wrote “University of Michigan School of Medicine” instead of “University of Michigan Medical School.” FML.

Apparently triple checking that you out the correct school name is not sufficient...will put a fourth check in there next time...

I doubt this will have a significant detriment...but will this have a significant detriment?

I feel like that’s super inconsequential. Sometimes even within schools people don’t get the full name completely correct. Also, at least you didn’t put Ohio State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not received a secondary despite being verified (June 20 for me) and submitted to UM?

Has anyone else not received a secondary despite being verified (June 20 for me) and submitted to UM?
Yup, just hold in there, it's frustrating, but still early.

Just got the secondary, definitely above 25th percentile for MCAT (517) so they must be getting sent in waves (verified 6/4).

Does your entire application need to be done within the two week window of getting the secondary? I just got it but I take CASPer this weekend and don't know if they'll have it in two weeks.

Does your entire application need to be done within the two week window of getting the secondary? I just got it but I take CASPer this weekend and don't know if they'll have it in two weeks.
I believe I read somewhere that University of Michigan only requires CASPER to send you an interview, but not to review your application once submitted. I would still try to submit as early as possible! They will not mark you complete until they receive your CASPER, but I am pretty sure they might review it without the CASPER score

Any advice on how to structure the first secondary question? I don´t know if its because this is the first secondary I am writing, or what, but I´ve been staring at a blank page on my computer for the past hour and a half.

Any advice on how to structure the first secondary question? I don´t know if its because this is the first secondary I am writing, or what, but I´ve been staring at a blank page on my computer for the past hour and a half.
I talked about my ideal situation as a provider. What id be doing, what kinds of patients id be seeing, etc

I talked about my ideal situation as a provider. What id be doing, what kinds of patients id be seeing, etc
I talked about the kind of career I want to pursue and the things I would do in it. Like do you want to do private practice, academia, health policy, underserved communities, etc..

I talked about the kind of career I want to pursue and the things I would do in it. Like do you want to do private practice, academia, health policy, underserved communities, etc..
Pretty much same.

Anyone else still on "secondary submitted" since 6/28? My letters and CASPer score have been ready since May, so I'm waiting for it to be marked as complete at this point. For some reason the portal shows the LOR section as blank now...

Anyone else still on "secondary submitted" since 6/28? My letters and CASPer score have been ready since May, so I'm waiting for it to be marked as complete at this point. For some reason the portal shows the LOR section as blank now...
Same exact boat here. I'm trying to be patient and assume its a glitch. I'm going to give it another day and then maybe call to make sure its a glitch lol.

I was marked complete today. So if its blank, just be patient. Blank screen is just a glitch!

Just received the secondary this morning in my spam.

• Haha
MemeLord has a “complete” status on the portal so I’m assuming if you have everything in you will too. I’m still waiting on one LOR. Do you only have one letter assigned? I think you need at least 3...
I do not have my LOR on AMCAS yet (committee letter), but I do have it as an assigned letter to Michigan (it just hasn't been uploaded to AMCAS yet) and I was complete a couple days ago. I don't think they require LOR to start reviewing your application for IIs.

I do not have my LOR on AMCAS yet (committee letter), but I do have it as an assigned letter to Michigan (it just hasn't been uploaded to AMCAS yet) and I was complete a couple days ago. I don't think they require LOR to start reviewing your application for IIs.
This is good news for me, but at the same time it makes me annoyed that I haven’t been marked complete yet (submitted on Friday within an hour of the secondary coming out)

Application submitted!

+1 marked complete today without having my letter in. Submitted 6/28.

About to hit submit but I still am unsure how to answer the "average hours worked" question. I only worked for one year, so should I average it using that one year or all 4 years (since it says "over the course of your undergraduate...")? maybe my CARS skills just suck lol

About to hit submit but I still am unsure how to answer the "average hours worked" question. I only worked for one year, so should I average it using that one year or all 4 years (since it says "over the course of your undergraduate...")? maybe my CARS skills just suck lol

Average it over 4 years

Submitted 7/3 and complete 7/4. Never got an email for it, so check portals!

submitted 6/30, complete 7/1. When do michigan mondays start?!?!?! July 15th?

WTF is a Michigan monday?

They send out interview invites every monday starting mid-july. They even say on their twitter how many interview invites they have sent out.

GOOOOTCHA. That is why they emphasize to follow them on Social media. Do they do it on facebok? I do not do the twitter.
I think it’s just Twitter unfortunately

GOOOOTCHA. That is why they emphasize to follow them on Social media. Do they do it on facebok? I do not do the twitter.
Realistically though, the main updates they post are how many interview invites are going out, but since it’s on a predictable schedule anyway (every Monday) not a big deal if you don’t follow it

Sorry to go back to the secondaries, but I'm kinda struggling with #1 because I feel strongly about both the Medical Humanities PoE and the Scientific Discovery PoE... my primary focuses on research (which would imply Scientific Discovery) but my response to #2 (the diversity essay) is about my interdisciplinary study of English & Science in undergrad (more closely tied to MedHum). In an ideal world, I'd love to do research, teaching, and humanities but WORD COUNTS.

Would it be okay to talk about Scientific Discovery in #1 and tack on a mention of the medical humanities PoE for #2 as well? Or should I somehow attempt to squeeze in both in #1? I can make it coherent given more characters, but 1500 isn't enough for me :lol: Thanks guys!