You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Michigan
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
9
907914
Only if they use it somewhere on their website and if you use the full name the first time you say itAre we allowed to say UMMS in our secondaries in place of the University of Michigan Medical School? Need to save them characters
Are we allowed to say UMMS in our secondaries in place of the University of Michigan Medical School? Need to save them characters
Yeah that's fine. Honestly you could save more if you wanted to say UM.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
Only use abbreviations if the school officially recognizes it. Don’t call them by their initials if they don’t go by their initials anywhere.Yeah that's fine. Honestly you could save more if you wanted to say UM.
Only use abbreviations if the school officially recognizes it. Don’t call them by their initials if they don’t go by their initials anywhere.
I'm not trying to be snarky, but that's my undergrad. The abbreviations for Michigan are very, very chill. UM, UMich, U-M, UofM, Michigan are widely recognized here.
9
907914
Based on their financial aid page UMMS looks appropriate. I am just saying this as a general rule, regardless of how the ugrad is, the culture of the medical school may be different and it is always best to check the website and see if the school goes by that name/acronym at all.I'm not trying to be snarky, but that's my undergrad. The abbreviations for Michigan are very, very chill. UM, UMich, U-M, UofM, Michigan are widely recognized here.
hello! current M1 here and happy to answer questions 🙂
9
907914
Hi, thanks for helping out! Do you know what portion of your class has kids and do you feel there is good “work life balance” afforded at UMich?hello! current M1 here and happy to answer questions 🙂
Hi, thanks for helping out! Do you know what portion of your class has kids and do you feel there is good “work life balance” afforded at UMich?
hi! there definitely are a couple parents in the class, with kids ranging from toddler to newborn baby to baby-on-the-way! I think there definitely are ways to make your day work for you. We have some required activities throughout the week, but recorded lectures means that I can usually sleep in and study late like the night owl that I am, and I spend time with friends, work out, etc. Of course, time is limited so you do need to plan your day carefully, but I think that's true anywhere. I can't speak as much to the M2 (clinical year) schedule, but it seems that the M2s still can and do get involved in student life events such as the Biorhythms dance show.
YerAWizardKhalifa
Full Member
Does the first batch of interviews go out next week?
9
907914
Yah, On what is apparently deemed ‘Michigan monday’Does the first batch of interviews go out next week?
D
deleted972488
The tracker now reflects the current cycle. They have received 3,931 applications and have scheduled 0 interviews.
medicine.umich.edu
MD Admissions
Learn about admissions at the University of Michigan Medical School.
9
907914
That is half of the total applications they received last year. This is actually a pretty useful overall AMCAS-related date point. It seems that about half of all applicants are verified before mid-July. Wow, so submitting after late June really does make someone late. Sucks for students who wanted to wait for spring quarter grades...The tracker now reflects the current cycle. They have received 3,931 applications and have scheduled 0 interviews.
![]()
MD Admissions
Learn about admissions at the University of Michigan Medical School.medicine.umich.edu
Gotta really appreciate how transparent U. Mich is about the whole process!The tracker now reflects the current cycle. They have received 3,931 applications and have scheduled 0 interviews.
![]()
MD Admissions
Learn about admissions at the University of Michigan Medical School.medicine.umich.edu
Hey guys, I want to upload my publications, they are clinical research and the pdf contains both the abstract and the article.
However, in the "additional uploads" it says "If you wish to send a publication, only send the abstract." Is it ok to send the pdf files that have both the abstract and article?
I think it's ok but can anyone confirm?
However, in the "additional uploads" it says "If you wish to send a publication, only send the abstract." Is it ok to send the pdf files that have both the abstract and article?
I think it's ok but can anyone confirm?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
They literally tell you your answer, only upload the abstract not the whole article. It isn’t a trick question. Just follow directions...Hey guys, I want to upload my publications, they are clinical research and the pdf contains both the abstract and the article.
However, in the "additional uploads" it says "If you wish to send a publication, only send the abstract." Is it ok to send the pdf files that have both the abstract and article?
I think it's ok but can anyone confirm?
OK but I can't find anything online that has only the abstract, maybe I should copy the abstract from the pdf to a word document?They literally tell you your answer, only upload the abstract not the whole article. It isn’t a trick question. Just follow directions...
9
907914
That would be the simplest option. Or only save the first page of the PDF and upload that.OK but I can't find anything online that has only the abstract, maybe I should copy the abstract from the pdf to a word document?
D
deleted972488
OK but I can't find anything online that has only the abstract, maybe I should copy the abstract from the pdf to a word document?
My recommendation is to not submit this. But, if you really wanted to, copy the abstract from PubMed into a word document and save as PDF.
I'm applying MSTP, the first prompt is basically "why Michigan MSTP."
I spent the first couple of years of my life in Michigan while my mom was doing her fellowship in Detroit. would it be too much of a stretch to incorporate that as a tie to michigan into my essay? I would also incorporate some of the aspects of the program I am interested in.
I spent the first couple of years of my life in Michigan while my mom was doing her fellowship in Detroit. would it be too much of a stretch to incorporate that as a tie to michigan into my essay? I would also incorporate some of the aspects of the program I am interested in.
D
deleted972488
I'm applying MSTP, the first prompt is basically "why Michigan MSTP."
I spent the first couple of years of my life in Michigan while my mom was doing her fellowship in Detroit. would it be too much of a stretch to incorporate that as a tie to michigan into my essay? I would also incorporate some of the aspects of the program I am interested in.
I think it's fine.
D
deleted962973
Any idea if this is primaries or completed secondaries? I would be amazed if 4000 people have already finished the secondary by the 10th day in JulyThe tracker now reflects the current cycle. They have received 3,931 applications and have scheduled 0 interviews.
![]()
MD Admissions
Learn about admissions at the University of Michigan Medical School.medicine.umich.edu
D
deleted972488
Any idea if this is primaries or completed secondaries? I would be amazed if 4000 people have already finished the secondary by the 10th day in July
Yeah I’m guessing primary
Yes, this is one of the only schools that doesn’t require letters to be considered complete.They marked my application complete but my letter packet hasn’t been sent to AMCAS yet. Do they review applications without letters of rec?
genieinaflask
Full Member
Anyone excited for Michigan Monday
D
deleted972488
Excited to be disappointedAnyone excited for Michigan Monday
Trying to avoid getting my hopes up, but anyone happen to know if there’s a specific time that they generally go out?Anyone excited for Michigan Monday
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sadpremed121
Full Member
When do interviews come out?
D
deleted972488
MondaysWhen do interviews come out?
sadpremed121
Full Member
Holy crap do they usually come this early?Mondays
Holy crap do they usually come this early?
They started on the 16th last year, and even earlier in years before, so most likely will be starting this Monday
9
907914
Next week is when like 35% of schools usually send out their first wave of invites. The next three weeks make up like 80% of school’s first Invites. If you are tippity toppity, the invites come like the secondaries did a few weeks ago....Holy crap do they usually come this early?
Last edited by a moderator:
Next week is when like 35% of schools usually send out their first wave of invites. The next two weeks make up like 80% of school’s first Invites. If you are tippity toppity, the invites come like the secondaries did a few weeks ago....
eh I don't quite know about 35% being next week. Looking at the timeline for my schools at least, 5/33 sent their first II by the 3rd week of July last year, 8/33 sent them anytime in July, and the rest were all in August.
Edit: and of all those August schools, it doesn't look particularly weighted towards early August either. They were pretty evenly spread throughout the month.
sadpremed121
Full Member
I’m high stat lm=83 but my schools committee letter just got submitted last week so I wasn’t complete at schools till a few days ago. Hopefully I’ll get some interviews soon.Next week is when like 35% of schools usually send out their first wave of invites. The next three weeks make up like 80% of school’s first Invites. If you are tippity toppity, the invites come like the secondaries did a few weeks ago....
9
907914
Just double checked, I was being overzealous. Looks like it is like 51/160 that do anytime in July. Still a good chunk though.I’m high stat lm=83 but my schools committee letter just got submitted last week so I wasn’t complete at schools till a few days ago. Hopefully I’ll get some interviews soon.
9
907914
Just double checked, I was being overzealous. Looks like it is like 51/160 that do anytime in July. Still a good chunk though.
It is higher among T20s?
9
907914
Good luck to all for our first #MichiganMonday
Get ready for your day-in-blue, y’all! (Watch it be next week...)
Get ready for your day-in-blue, y’all! (Watch it be next week...)
D
deleted972488
Lol.. and it's just a repost of something they posted 5 days ago.Did anyone else get a notification for their latest tweet and have their heart rate increase dramatically?
WORST MICHIGAN MONDAY EVER 😡 


9
907914
Lol.. and it's just a repost of something they posted 5 days ago.
Do we know when they normally do it?WORST MICHIGAN MONDAY EVER 😡![]()
pagingdocopp
Full Member
I've never had such a love/hate relationship with anything as much as I do with this forum
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yah i dumb f---ed joining this forum ... bad for my stress levelsI've never had such a love/hate relationship with anything as much as I do with this forum
9
907914
I got an interview!yah i dumb f---ed joining this forum ... bad for my stress levels
Is what we will see on this forum in a couple hours from a few people #michiganmonday
Edit: I had my fun hahaha I am done. Just an anxiety coping mechanism
i got really excited for you 😡I got an interview!
Is what we will see on this forum in a couple hours from a few people #michiganmonday
sadpremed121
Full Member
Every time I get a notification here I **** myself thinking that they already sent out interviews
sadpremed121
Full Member
Not funny!I got an interview!
Is what we will see on this forum in a couple hours from a few people #michiganmonday
Edit: I had my fun hahaha I am done. Just an anxiety coping mechanism