-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 NYU
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
9
907914
The tertiary application is open and available for submission after you submit the secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9
907914
I am gunning for Interventional Radiology with the tertiary - do y'all think "I like working with my hands, I enjoy a field in which there is a balance between clinical and procedural, I like needing to know total body anatomy, my favorite physiology is vasculature, my experiences as a phlebotomist led me to want to deal with diseases of lifestyle, my father required a stint at 14" is all sufficient? Obviously tying in relevant experiences/values/anecdotes etc.
Is there a certain character/word count they are looking for in the first and second question?
9
907914
It is not listed so feel free to copypasta your whole Vandy life story in there of you want. However, shorter is better.Is there a certain character/word count they are looking for in the first and second question?
Are you guys answering the main question as if it were a diversity essay?
9
907914
Copypasta of my WUSTL diversity essay with a little bit of NYU flair....Are you guys answering the main question as if it were a diversity essay?
Copypasta of my WUSTL diversity essay with a little bit of NYU flair....
Looks like we have a similar school list! And good to see you brought Hellmo back haha
9
907914
Anyone else have CASPer showing as incomplete? My other CASPer schools have it registered as complete. Taken 6/13
Mine shows up as complete but I took CASPer in May. Are your letters marked as complete?Anyone else have CASPer showing as incomplete? My other CASPer schools have it registered as complete. Taken 6/13
9
907914
They are in the system but not marked as complete for some reason.Mine shows up as complete but I took CASPer in May. Are your letters marked as complete?
Same hereThey are in the system but not marked as complete for some reason.
I believe it takes a period of time for AMCAS to send it to the school and for processing. I had the same issue with some other secondaries, but within a week it was showing as complete in the portal.Same here
9
907914
Nah, most schools say complete alreadyI believe it takes a period of time for AMCAS to send it to the school and for processing. I had the same issue with some other secondaries, but within a week it was showing as complete in the portal.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schrodinger's Chat
Full Member
+1, taken on 6/14 and on CASPer it says my score has been delivered to all my schools but in the NYU portal it says not received. Hopefully there's just some lag between when they receive it and when it updatesAnyone else have CASPer showing as incomplete? My other CASPer schools have it registered as complete. Taken 6/13
Everything on my application is complete but the tertiary application. I may have accidentally clicked interested...How do I remove my interest so I can be complete? Or does everyone just say tertiary isn't submitted?
Everything on my application is complete but the tertiary application. I may have accidentally clicked interested...How do I remove my interest so I can be complete? Or does everyone just say tertiary isn't submitted?
Also wondering this because my app is showing as not completed and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't submitted the tertiary. I do not want to submit it at this time and don't recall indicating that I want to anywhere.
9
907914
The tertiary application is optional. If you were able to submit the secondary I believe you are GTG But probably reach out to admissions if you are genuinely concerned.Also wondering this because my app is showing as not completed and I'm wondering if it's because I haven't submitted the tertiary. I do not want to submit it at this time and don't recall indicating that I want to anywhere.
The tertiary application is optional. If you were able to submit the secondary I believe you are GTG But probably reach out to admissions if you are genuinely concerned.
I'll mostly likely give it a day or two before being that person to call admissions since everything else is checked off on my status page
I called admissions yesterday, and they said to give it till Friday and if it's not complete, to give them a call.I'll mostly likely give it a day or two before being that person to call admissions since everything else is checked off on my status page
I called admissions yesterday, and they said to give it till Friday and if it's not complete, to give them a call.
Awesome, thanks for the tip!
23LeGoatJames23
Full Member
For the second essay, if we plan to graduate in December, would that qualify as having taken time off? Or does that essay prompt only apply in the past tense?
9
907914
You will have taken time off by matriculation so I would include it.For the second essay, if we plan to graduate in December, would that qualify as having taken time off? Or does that essay prompt only apply in the past tense?
Good to know that I am an anomaly then, hopefully!
Nah, most schools say complete already
9
907914
6/14 CASPer updated as completed now.
My letters of reference still haven't been marked as received, though the site acknowledges their receipts and dates. Anyone else?
Me! did you ever resolve this issue? Wondering if I'm complete or not
Me! did you ever resolve this issue? Wondering if I'm complete or not
Give it another day or two. They will eventually be marked as complete.
helpmeout441
Full Member
This three year MD with residency placement is crazy. So I can basically tell them I want to go into neuro or ortho before even entering med school? Do they take people for competitive specialties, or is the three year program to get more people into primary care? If I apply and select ortho/neuro, how would I explain my decision. Is it enough to have simply shadowed in these field or do i need to have done clinical research in either neuro or ortho? I just don't see how NYU can pick people for these specialties at such an early stage.
This three year MD with residency placement is crazy. So I can basically tell them I want to go into neuro or ortho before even entering med school? Do they take people for competitive specialties, or is the three year program to get more people into primary care? If I apply and select ortho/neuro, how would I explain my decision. Is it enough to have simply shadowed in these field or do i need to have done clinical research in either neuro or ortho? I just don't see how NYU can pick people for these specialties at such an early stage.
I believe the program is for primary care only.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's for all specialitesI believe the program is for primary care only.
Are both NYU and NYU Long Island offering 3 year programs?It's for all specialites
D
deleted972488
YesAre both NYU and NYU Long Island offering 3 year programs?
Idk about that. nyu isAre both NYU and NYU Long Island offering 3 year programs?
This three year MD with residency placement is crazy. So I can basically tell them I want to go into neuro or ortho before even entering med school? Do they take people for competitive specialties, or is the three year program to get more people into primary care? If I apply and select ortho/neuro, how would I explain my decision. Is it enough to have simply shadowed in these field or do i need to have done clinical research in either neuro or ortho? I just don't see how NYU can pick people for these specialties at such an early stage.
Hi @helpmeout441 , yes, you can say that you want to go into neuro or ortho before entering medical school! Some people have done research or worked in certain speciality fields before arriving at medical school, and know that field is for them! Other people (like myself), come in having no idea what they want to do. They are able to take people for any speciality, although it differs based on class and interest. In my year, there are people in Dermatology, OB/GYN, Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, Interventional Radiology, Primary Care track in internal medicine, Neurology, Ophthalmology, and Otolaryngology 3-year programs(that I can think of off of the top of my head). Keep in mind that a separate interview with the residency director of that program and additional essays are required, and the decision ultimately lies with them. Also, even if you do not know what you are interested in right now or are not accepted to the program upon matriculation, there are opt-in pathways during the first and second year of medical school! I hope this helps to clarify things, let us know if there are any more questions!
D
deleted972488
When I submitted it was showing my CASPer scores as received, but now it shows them as not received.
How did they get unreceived?
How did they get unreceived?
Maybe they didn't like what they sawWhen I submitted it was showing my CASPer scores as received, but now it shows them as not received.
How did they get unreceived?![]()
(jk ofc)The last secondary essay says "The following question is designed to assess the ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit your answer to a maximum of 2500 characters." Does anyone know of a place where they explicitly state their core values?
sadpremed121
Full Member
It’s gonna be the same as most other schools I.e diversity, research, leaders in medicine. I just treated it as a diversity essay.The last secondary essay says "The following question is designed to assess the ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit your answer to a maximum of 2500 characters." Does anyone know of a place where they explicitly state their core values?
When I submitted it was showing my CASPer scores as received, but now it shows them as not received.
How did they get unreceived?![]()
+1! don't know what happened, when did you take yours?
D
deleted972488
May+1! don't know what happened, when did you take yours?
Oh hm! Yeah that is weird, I took mine recently so I was surprised when it originally showed as received since I thought it would take a few weeks anyways. Not sure what is going on but hopefully it gets sorted out soon!
Awesome, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the idiot that missed the "Core Values" page on their website.It’s gonna be the same as most other schools I.e diversity, research, leaders in medicine. I just treated it as a diversity essay.
Anyone uploading to the "Additional Information" tab?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sadpremed121
Full Member
It’s for stuff like CV or update letters. I’m not uploading anythingAnyone uploading to the "Additional Information" tab?
+1! don't know what happened, when did you take yours?
+2
I took mine on June 25th at the later time
Anyone's CASPER also marked as incomplete still? Also, my visa status & previously applied info is blank on the first page that contains the essays. My "Application File Complete" is checked but not sure if this will delay processing...
+1
When I submitted it was showing my CASPer scores as received, but now it shows them as not received.
How did they get unreceived?![]()
Did you ever get this resolved? I had the same issue and it's still showing up missing