2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called admissions this morning, confirmed that it is a glitch in their system and if you were previously marked complete that it has no effect on your status! theyre working on fixing it now

My application was never marked complete because I had an X for the tertiary MD app. Did you have this issue as well and speak to them about it? Thanks!

My application was never marked complete because I had an X for the tertiary MD app. Did you have this issue as well and speak to them about it? Thanks!
That’s probably not why you aren’t complete. You don’t need to fill out the tertiary app, and it will stay with a red X, but you can still be marked complete. Might have to just wait a bit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify: is the tertiary only for those interested in 3-year MD? Or is it one of those "optional" but everyone does it thus it isn't truly optional? lol

Or is it one of those "optional" but everyone does it thus it isn't truly optional?
It is only if you are interested in the 3-Year MD. If you are not interested in the 3-year, don't enter to be in the three year.

On the note of the "but everyone does it" optionals.....there really aren't that many like that across all schools, are there? Like, if there is an "anything else?"essay, I think most people fill it out but the general advice is to just leave it blank.

On the note of the "but everyone does it" optionals.....there really aren't that many like that across all schools, are there?

Now that I about it...I don't think there are many, I guess the first "Michigan Monday" is making me extra neurotic. Though I believe I saw WUStL. Columbia(?), USC(?) with an "optional" question but it was "describe a time you failed"

Now that I about it...I don't think there are many, I guess the first "Michigan Monday" is making me extra neurotic. Though I believe I saw WUStL. Columbia(?), USC(?) with an "optional" question but it was "describe a time you failed"
WUStl is a good example of this. That “failure” essay is def not optional.

Also, join the pact. We speak not of Michigan Monday until Michigan has Monday-ed

• Haha
Just a generic question - why does anyone want to go to a T10 school which guarantees free tuition and try to finish in 3 years and expect to be competitive for a competitive residency?

Just a generic question - why does anyone want to go to a T10 school which guarantees free tuition and try to finish in 3 years and expect to be competitive for a competitive residency?
Because the 3-year MD guarantees a residency of your choice.

You don't have to worry about the match or moving in 4 years - you stay at NYU doing the residency you want.

Yes, they can reject you, in which case you just stay in the 4 year pathway and apply for the match like everyone else.
Do most people apply to the 3 year? Do you need clinical research experience in the specialty you’re applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s probably not why you aren’t complete. You don’t need to fill out the tertiary app, and it will stay with a red X, but you can still be marked complete. Might have to just wait a bit

I never got the complete email since submitting early last week. Perhaps I'll give it a couple more days before contacting them. Thanks!

Do most people apply to the 3 year? Do you need clinical research experience in the specialty you’re applying to?

I'd say about a quarter of my class (incoming MS2s) are in the 3-year program, with more to be switching in soon at the next opt-in. In terms of what you need to get accepted, there isn't really a checklist. You need to show that you have an interest in that particular specialty, and for some people, that is through having done clinical research. There is no single thing that needs to be done-- you simply have to convince the residency program why you want to do the chosen specialty and why you're a good fit for the 3-year (easier said than done, of course).

Hi Everyone!

I am posting on behalf of the NYUSoM Ambassadors who will be monitoring this thread for questions/comments/concerns and anything that we can do to help make this process easier for you all!

Reply to this (so we get the little notification) if you have any questions or @ us, and we'll do our best to answer them as quickly as possible!

In terms of what NYU looks for in applicants, it's the same as most medical schools — it's less about checking boxes and more about standing out in some way. We have people who have focused heavily on research, some who dedicated themselves more to community service, and others who have taken less traditional paths to medical school. There’s no one way to do it. It’s about finding what you’re passionate about and pursuing it.

A bit about the things that are unique to NYU:

Financial Aid:
-
Every MD student who is accepted to NYUSoM and chooses to matriculate receive a FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP, no strings attached! A percentage of the class also receives full cost of living scholarships.

3-year MD:
The Three-Year MD Degree Pathway provides an accelerated track for a select group of eligible students. All students graduating from the Three-Year MD Degree Pathway will participate in the NRMP Residency Match and will be offered acceptance into an NYU Langone Medical Center residency program of their choice at the time of admission.

When you can apply:
-Prospective students can apply at the time of their initial application. Deadline for applying is March 1, 2020.
-Matriculated students in our Four-Year MD program can opt in to the Three-Year MD Pathway either at the end of their first or second year of MD training. MSTP students can apply during the fall of the year they complete the PhD portion of their combined degree.
-Deadlines: Applications for the Three-Year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is March 1st by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through July.

MMI:
-Series of 8 interview stations consisting of timed interview scenarios
-One of our rooms is more like a traditional interview, which is double the time of a normal station and allows you to talk about your application.
-Scenarios may explore an applicant’s communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, problem solving capabilities, integrity, ethics and judgment. You will receive a prompt of the scenario or question you will address before entering the station. You will then have two minutes to gather your thoughts before you enter the room.

CASPer:
-For the upcoming year, students applying to NYUSoM will be required to take CASPer.

Admissions:
Is rolling this year, and will be sent out continuously after the first date that acceptances can be sent out.

Housing:
Approximately 90% of our students live in on-campus housing, and they are subsidized monthly rents that are way below market rents for the area. Shared apartments for example are approximately $1050/month. The rooms are either quads, doubles, or studios. Similarly sized apartments in the neighborhood are often double that or more, so the student housing is a fantastic deal.

NYUSoM Community:
NYUSoM has a robust student community. From formal community events supported by the University as a whole to informal gatherings, there are many ways in which the students here are able to come together. Official gatherings include events such as the annual Culture Show, at which students can showcase their musical and artistic talents, and Student Appreciation Week, where the administration puts on a week of events to help students come and destress together outside of the classroom (its actually really cool, they give us loads of free food and prizes). There are also lots of informal community events organized by students, such as trips to the MET and afternoons in Central Park. In addition, we are also part of the NYU community as a whole, and as such get free admissions to tons of events and museums throughout the city.

One of the nicest aspects of the student community at NYUSoM is how the students support each other. Because our classes are small (102 per class) and most students live together in the NYUSoM Housing, the first-year class quickly becomes a tight-knit group. An example of this sense of community is how readily students share their study materials to help ensure we all do well. Before every exam, many students post their study guides or flashcard decks to our class Facebook page/GroupMe/slack channel (we have all three) for everyone to use. There is a sense that we're all in this together, and that we have to help each other along the way. Having a supportive community of students has been one of the most important factors in making my medical school experience so enjoyable and successful.

New York City:
New York City is a great place to be for medical school, and NYU’s location in Midtown is perfect for taking advantage of all NYC has to offer. NYU has three private hospitals, the country's premier public hospital in Bellevue (also where NBC's show New Amsterdam is filmed), and a government hospital all within easy walking distance of each other-serving all aspects of our diverse patient community. The city is an incredibly vibrant place. Whether you want to spend a sunny afternoon in Central Park, enter a lottery for discounted Broadway tickets, or explore the MET or the Museum of Natural History, there is always something exciting to do only a short subway ride away. You can also get any type of food you want at any time of day delivered right to your apartment, which is pretty amazing.

One great thing about New York is that, despite its size, it’s still a very safe place to live. Statistically, it’s the safest large city in the U.S., and after living here for a year, I have yet to experience a situation in which I felt unsafe.

I love the excitement of the city, but on those occasions on which I want to get away from the hustle and bustle, there are many tranquil corners of the city to explore. From Central Park to Riverside Park to the Cloisters, there are plenty of places to relax surrounded by nature.

At the end of the day, NYC has something for everyone, which is what makes it such a special place. I can’t think of any other place I would rather be in medical school.

Of note:
-NYU has a group of current students that function as ambassadors and are available to help with questions/admissions process in general:
-Email: [email protected]
-Link for ambassador profiles in case you want to contact someone with specific interests: MD Student Ambassador Program | NYU Langone Health
-Dean Rivera will hold several Twitter chats where you have an opportunity to ask him any questions @RafaelRiveraMD
Social media:
-IG: NYU School of Medicine (@nyuschoolofmed) • Instagram photos and videos
-Student NYUSoM IG: NYU School of Medicine (@nyusomadmissions) • Instagram photos and videos
-Twitter:NYU School of Med (@nyuschoolofmed) | Twitter
-Facebook:
NYU School of Medicine

Good luck everyone!

Is there an LGBT student group? If so, how active is it? Are their leadership opportunities available within it? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted and received complete notification 7/16 despite glitch w/ CASPER scores. They were marked received previously

Is there an LGBT student group? If so, how active is it? Are their leadership opportunities available within it? Thanks!

Yes, we do have a group called LGBTQMed, and it is very active! They host many really fun events. I'll just list a few, but there are many, many more. At the end of the year, they hosted this dance called Prom, Take 2 at a really cool club in Brooklyn (rented out an entire dance floor for us). They also hosted a drag brunch for us at a local restaurant. There were a lot of LGBTQ movie nights (saw Bohemian Rhapsody when it was in theaters). Every month, there is also a town hall where people talk about the events of the previous months and plan future events (some professors even come to these). Additionally, I should mentioned that, like every NYUSOM club, events hosted by LGBTQMed are very heavily subsidized by the school-- the drag brunch was $5/person (which is INSANE for NYC).

In terms of leadership, there are opportunities available. About halfway through your first year, right before second years start on clerkships, the first years get a chance to apply to be the leaders of a club if they would like to (until then, the clubs are led by second years). If you want any more information or to be put in contact with someone involved in the club, feel free to DM me. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
Is the consensus that we should be directing our diversity essay specific to NYU?

Is the consensus that we should be directing our diversity essay specific to NYU?
Lmao I just used the same diversity essay for all my schools. I didn't really want to turn it into a why NYU essay. Rippp

Reactions: 6 users
How long did it take for you guys to get secondaries once you've been verified?

Sorry just to be clear. Your app can be complete without submitting the Tertiary app? My CASPer scores aren't sent in yetsince I took it yesterday, so it won't be complete until those are in?

Sorry just to be clear. Your app can be complete without submitting the Tertiary app? My CASPer scores aren't sent in yetsince I took it yesterday, so it won't be complete until those are in?

To my understanding, since the Tertiary application is optional, your application does NOT need it for it to be considered complete. Since your CASPer score hasn't been processed, your application will be incomplete without that score.

Your app will be marked complete when CASPer is in, regardless of whether you filled out the tertiary or not.

Yes, we do have a group called LGBTQMed,

I tried looking up NYU student groups on the website, but you have to have a special student login to view them. If it's kosher, could you please share a complete list of the current student groups at NYU School of Medicine?

Does anyone know how much of a connection we need to have to the specialty we want to pursue for the tertiary application? TBH I probably have the most connections to urology through my work and Ortho from my research, but I want to do IR because of a) working with my hands b) vasculature is my favorite piece of anatomy (learned this as a phleb) and c) it requires a total-body/whole-patient-physiology understanding d) it is an actively developing field with constantly changing technology.

Do y'all think that reasoning (if written in the right way) would suffice for the tertiary? @NYUAmbassadors any advice on what constitutes good'nuff reasoning for the tertiary/3 year program?

Got an II!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
First interview!! Totally psyched considering I was only complete on Friday.

Reactions: 7 users
Also just got an II! I am shaking!!!

NY Resident also

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
+1
Mine was complete... the 21st? Since that's about when my Casper sent.

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! For those with IIs, does your portal show that your CASPer was received already? I took it in early June but it still hasn’t shown up in the portal, don’t know whether I should be worried

I took it in May and it still doesn't show up in the portal for me either.

Congrats everyone! For those with IIs, does your portal show that your CASPer was received already? I took it in early June but it still hasn’t shown up in the portal, don’t know whether I should be worried

Check the bottom most check mark; I think it's an issue on the website, but not on the admin side. As of 2 am this morning at least CASPer wasn't showing up as received for me, but at the bottom it said my application was complete.

If we were complete like way before but no II does this mean gg?
Nope, you are still in the running. Looks like everyone who got an interview today thus far has at least a 3.7/520, may be URM, and likely has no IAs. Keep your head up, my guy.

And to the 8 or so of you with the II, congratulations!