2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlist peeps... are you planning on attending the webinar?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
~200 (out of 250 originally) remaining on the waitlist, ~35-50 expected acceptances on May 1 and then acceptances rolling afterwards through summer, 1 week to decide if accepted off waitlist

Does anyone have any thought on how the extent of Covid's impact in NYC could negatively influence our education and training in NYC versus a school in another city? I'm worried that clerkships being pushed back could be a reoccuring theme, especially if there are multiple waves of Covid as accepted... even other things like shadowing in first year might be difficult...

Does anyone have any thought on how the extent of Covid's impact in NYC could negatively influence our education and training in NYC versus a school in another city? I'm worried that clerkships being pushed back could be a reoccuring theme, especially if there are multiple waves of Covid as accepted... even other things like shadowing in first year might be difficult...
I live in New York and work in healthcare here. I think the question is not really about NYC vs. another city, it's about NYC vs. a more rural place. Just because the outbreak has hit New York in this way does not mean that exposure in other cities will not increase exponentially as it did here. I think clerkships are just as likely to be changed around elsewhere as they are here

I live in New York and work in healthcare here. I think the question is not really about NYC vs. another city, it's about NYC vs. a more rural place. Just because the outbreak has hit New York in this way does not mean that exposure in other cities will not increase exponentially as it did here. I think clerkships are just as likely to be changed around elsewhere as they are here
Got it - thank you. I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't you think that the fact that NYC was so heavily impacted, even if you're comparing to another city, could have more of an influence on education? For example, there are 584 deaths in Baltimore versus 11,500 in NYC... and the hospital systems in NYC seem to have been hit much harder than Baltimore.

Reactions: 1 user
^ To add to the above:

110 people were accepted for the 92 spots. 250 were placed on the waitlist, which is down to just under 200 now. As accepted students withdrew, NYU dipped below 92 and already accepted a few (seems like ~5) off of the waitlist already. It seems like Dean Rivera expects 35-50 people to ultimately get off of the waitlist.

Dean Rivera said it is not worthwhile to send any updates/letters of interest as it will not impact your ultimate decision (unless you have a truly major update). The main determinants of who gets off of the waitlist are the committees' existing appraisals of your application and who drops their acceptances (as they want a balanced class in terms of demographics). NYU does not make decisions based on intent and cannot tell where you already 'Planned to Enroll' (and does not care if you have 'Commit to Enroll' elsewhere in order to secure a scholarship, as there is a lot of confusion regarding the current process).

The majority of those taken off of the waitlist will be notified in early May. May 1st, in particular, is a noteworthy date as currently-accepted students who chose elsewhere would need to forfeit their NYU acceptance by April 30th (thus leaving NYU with a handful of empty spots). Dean Rivera hopes to whittle down the waitlist as May progresses in order to not provide false hope to those who are still waiting (although no guarantees as to a 'closure date').

If accepted, you have one week to accept your spot off of the waitlist. I hope this helps.

Got it - thank you. I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't you think that the fact that NYC was so heavily impacted, even if you're comparing to another city, could have more of an influence on education? For example, there are 584 deaths in Baltimore versus 11,500 in NYC... and the hospital systems in NYC seem to have been hit much harder than Baltimore.
I think you're taking for granted current statistics when we have no idea what future statistics will look like. Hospitalizations are steadily on the rise in every other major city EXCEPT New York at this point (we have now started the downward slope). Yes, New York has been impacted more heavily as of today April 24th, but you have no evidence to dictate that will be true as of August 24th.

Good luck to everyone on the WL!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone! It was around 2-3 hours ago

Do we think they are done with calls for today?

Any possibility that the class is full and they’re no longer sending out notifications? I can’t remember when dean Rivera said there would be WL movement after May 1st, but I’m guessing that the chances are p slim right now, correct?

Any possibility that the class is full and they’re no longer sending out notifications? I can’t remember when dean Rivera said there would be WL movement after May 1st, but I’m guessing that the chances are p slim right now, correct?
I got in off the WL, when he called he said that there were less open spots than he predicted and most of the calls would go out may 1st with maybe a few more the following week if any of us turned it down. Not sure of exact numbers, but sounded to be almost full with maybe a little more movement depending on how people responded to offers

Reactions: 3 users
Is it allowed and how common is it to live in Vilcek Hall all four years for the subsidized housing?
Also, under NYU cost of attendance, it shows room and board costs for corresponding number of months of schooling. Are students given the option to remain in Vilcek for twelve continuous months?

There will be housing and campus tours during (virtual) revisit! Additional housing information can be found here: Housing for MD & MD/PhD Students | NYU Langone Health. If you scroll to where it says "Jan and Maria Vilcek Hall" and then click on the "Learn more about Vilcek Hall" link, it will download a PDF with more information and sample floor plans (although all the doubles are a little different).

If I remember correctly, the housing registration/assignment process takes place in late May.

A withdrawal doesnt always result in a pick from the WL. depends how oversubscribed the class is.

A withdrawal doesnt always result in a pick from the WL. depends how oversubscribed the class is.
Since April 30, the NYU class has not been oversubscribed as indicated by the WL meeting held by Dean Rivera just prior, as well as WL acceptance offers that started on May 1.

Since April 30, the NYU class has not been oversubscribed as indicated by the WL meeting held by Dean Rivera just prior, as well as WL acceptance offers that started on May 1.
And yet there have only been a very few offers and all the first week of May as he indicated at the WL meeting on zoom.

Is it allowed and how common is it to live in Vilcek Hall all four years for the subsidized housing?
Also, under NYU cost of attendance, it shows room and board costs for corresponding number of months of schooling. Are students given the option to remain in Vilcek for twelve continuous months?

It's very common to live in Vilcek all four years! Those who move off campus tend to move in with significant others, but I would say a majority will stay in Vilcek. It's a full 12 month lease; I think the billing is by semester/billing period, but you definitely can stay in your apartment for the full calendar year.

Hi guys, I'm sorry to ask in this thread but I am applying to the upcoming 2020-21 cycle and pre-writing my secondaries. I was wondering if NYU lets you apply to both MD and MSTP? The information wasn't clear on the website. Thanks!

did anyone get in here without publications? interviewed this cycle recently. thanks!