2019-2020 Seton Hall

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Got an email stating my application has gone through preliminary review and has passed all requirements. My application is now in the "review" status until I get an interview or the admissions cycle closes. Guessing this is the official "complete" email
When did you submit/get the preliminary review email
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted secondary 9/6, was under preliminary review 9/9

That is exactly my timeline as well, 9/6 and 9/9. that is very interesting. My guess is that is the "complete" email. All of your materials are there and made it to them and you met minimum requirements (GPA, MCAT) if they have?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't speak for the medical school in particular, but as someone who has interned at Hackensack, I can say that Hackensack Meridian has extensive research opportunities. They were very big on interdisciplinary collaboration as well, and networking across different research departments. I would assume since the med school is affiliated with HM and it is in the same general area that research opportunities would at least be accessible.

Great, thanks for the info! Definitely nice coming from someone familiar with Hackensack even if not the school itself!
 
what I did was I called them and asked about the status of my app. They said they will review it and will get to it.
The next morning I got the email.
It doesnt hurt to call. They are super nice!
Ok awesome, I will do that! Thanks
 
Does anyone know if showing up to open house improves your chances. I’ll be in Newark already for an II and want to know if coming to open house will be worth it
It won't hurt your chances and might inform your decision whether to attend a later II, but traditionally going to something like that wouldn't really give you a leg up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hoping to hear something but it’s not looking good . I was told 2-4 weeks on September 9th and haven’t heard anything.
It may be a while longer the later you submit. Like how the AAMC tells you it’ll take a few weeks after you submit your primary, it can take longer if you submit in late June vs the first day. They have to individually verify your completion status before sending your app to committee.
 
If I already received the prelim complete email, would it be bad to call just wondering about interview invitations?
Probably not a great idea. I don’t see why it would hurt, but the prelim email just means you fit the requirements, then they evaluate if they wanna give you an II ( if my understanding is correct). My prelim complete email was 9/27
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The interview day was a positive experience! We first sat through a bunch of presentations and lunch. Their curriculum seemed pretty innovative. They have an accelerated three year curriculum, giving students the option to either graduate early (not just for primary care) or pursue a concentration their fourth year (e.g., research or community service). Interestingly, students go through clerkships before the Step 1 exam. The two interviews I had afterwards (each one on one, in person) were very relaxed and conversational. Apparently most applicants had one in person interview and one via Skype. The tour was interesting - I was particularly impressed by their standardized patient center. Overall I liked what I saw, though mandatory early classes and barely any breaks between the first three years are things to consider.
 
Last edited:
The interview day was a positive experience! We first sat through a bunch of presentations and lunch. Their curriculum seemed pretty innovative. They have an accelerated three year curriculum, giving students the option to either graduate early (not just for primary care) or pursue a concentration their fourth year (e.g., research or community service). Interestingly, students go through clerkships before the Step 1 exam. The two interviews I had afterwards (each one on one, in person) were very relaxed and conversational. Apparently most applicants had one in person interview and one via Skype. The tour was interesting - I was particularly impressed by their simulated patient center. Overall I liked what I saw, though mandatory early classes and barely any breaks between the first three years are things to consider.

Thanks for sharing!