2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think in the past it has always been by email. Also, I called the office and was told that the first decisions should come out on the 19th! They also said that not everyone would receive a response on exactly 2/19, so we still need to be patient.
Good luck to everyone! Feeling both nervous and excited.
Well that’s upsetting but at least I can calm down now

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody briefly describe me the interview day here? for the morning interview- ending time, food, for writing assignment-is it couple of sentences or entire paragraph/essay, any advantage/disadvantage of attending financial aid and residence hall tour thing (when I say ad/disadvantage, I meant- is it likely to affect my decision?) and for the student phone interview- was it like peer-peer conversation or were they also asking standard interview questions?

Can anybody briefly describe me the interview day here? for the morning interview- ending time, food, for writing assignment-is it couple of sentences or entire paragraph/essay, any advantage/disadvantage of attending financial aid and residence hall tour thing (when I say ad/disadvantage, I meant- is it likely to affect my decision?) and for the student phone interview- was it like peer-peer conversation or were they also asking standard interview questions?

You spend most of the morning with other interviewees in the lobby of the admissions office. That’s when you would have time to write the paragraph (I think it’s 100-200 words). It’s pretty low stakes, it’s a creative writing piece about a picture. The dean comes in for his informal talk around 11-11:30 if I remember correctly, and then 2 med students will pick everybody up for a tour of the school. They have bag lunches (sandwiches) and granola bars in the admissions office. I can’t speak on the financial aid or residential tours because I didn’t go on them.

The peer conversation had some standard questions but for me ended up turning into more of a casual conversation after we got those out of the way. It lasted about an hour and a half over the phone.

Reactions: 2 users
You spend most of the morning with other interviewees in the lobby of the admissions office. That’s when you would have time to write the paragraph (I think it’s 100-200 words). It’s pretty low stakes, it’s a creative writing piece about a picture. The dean comes in for his informal talk around 11-11:30 if I remember correctly, and then 2 med students will pick everybody up for a tour of the school. They have bag lunches (sandwiches) and granola bars in the admissions office. I can’t speak on the financial aid or residential tours because I didn’t go on them.

The peer conversation had some standard questions but for me ended up turning into more of a casual conversation after we got those out of the way. It lasted about an hour and a half over the phone.

Thank you!!

your peer phone convo lasted 1.5 hours?! mine was an awkward 20 minute phone call lol

Reactions: 12 users
Mine was also a super awkward forced 30 minute phone call lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We were all kind of speculating 200 acceptances, not really sure of the number but it won’t be all of them

• Hmm
My peer phone call was close to an hour. I wouldn't say it was forced and awkward but it didn't seem like the student assigned to me really cared for the conversation

My peer to peer was an hour and half too, with the first 20-30 mins being those awkward scripted questions that they’re required to ask you, but then the rest of it was a lot of casual conversation. It was really easy going and just a good opportunity to talk about whatever i wanted to learn about the school. Everything after the initial 30 minutes was lead by me, and the student didn’t mind either, she was like I could talk about downstate for ever.

I'm really debating if I should just bite the bullet and call the admissions office

apparently first 200 acceptances released tomorrow, the 19th

Can anyone else verify this? I called the admissions office and they told me "once it's ready you'll get it, I can't give you any more information". F.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone else verify this? I called the admissions office and they told me "once it's ready you'll get it, I can't give you any more information". F.
someone called them on Friday and this is what the admissions office said

Edit: they said "first decisions" will be released; I don't know if they specified 200. actually, I don't even know where I got that from lol, but someone who contacted admissions def posted that here a while ago so it's not totally made up??

Based off of last years thread, I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt hear back tomorrow. But who knows

your peer phone convo lasted 1.5 hours?! mine was an awkward 20 minute phone call lol

I ended up having a lot in common with the student that was assigned to me We ended up talking a lot more about our outlook on medicine/public health and experiences scribing than the interview questions themselves.

Accepted an hour ago!!!
E-mail told me to check portal where a new tab titled "Pre-Mac" is shown!!

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Did anyone else besides dgnc get acceptance email?

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
has anyone called to see if they are done for admittance emails for today? will there be another wave before April?

Also accepted! Email told me to just check the portal which scared me so much lol (edit - i interviewed october!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Accepted via email saying to check portal!! Interviewed mid sept :)