2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi guys, just got a random last-minute acceptance at another MD school in New York, but I'm on the alternate list at Downstate and would realllllly really love to go there instead. Any protocol on reaching out to them to feel out where I stand on the waitlist? I have to accept by July 5 and will then be taken off all other WL. Thanks in advance <3
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are an alternate and have your BLS checked off, like this pls

Im pretty confused about it’s requirement for July 1st… I didn’t want to take chances so I got trained, who else is on this boat?
I'm a little confused too, as it says medicine accepts only but they told me to upload my verification even though i'm an alternate. I didn't get trained yet though :/
 
I sent my health forms and lab slips to the student health office on Friday 6/25 but never received a reply confirming receipt and still not seeing the items checked off in my portal. For those that submitted the health forms -- did you guys get a reply back that they were received?
 
Last edited:
Yeah I feel you, everything is so jumbled. But in some places it looks like it says alternates need it. Scrambling to see if I can take a course tomorrow, lol.


okay here was my justification for not doing it as an alternate: they say that you can sign up for a course once you’re at Downstate through the school.
 
I sent my health forms and lab slips to the student health office on Friday 6/25 but never received a reply confirming receipt and still not seeing the items checked off in my portal. For those that submitted the health forms -- did you guys get a reply back that they were received?
I still haven't gotten a reply either, and my checklist is still showing as red under my portal. I was thinking about calling, but idk I sent the forms in twice so they really should have it. If we sent before the deadline I don't think we can be penalized.
 
I still haven't gotten a reply either, and my checklist is still showing as red under my portal. I was thinking about calling, but idk I sent the forms in twice so they really should have it. If we sent before the deadline I don't think we can be penalized.
I've called in. The nurse practitioner could not have been more rude about the process. Awful and shown me the attention they give students.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it seems like they aren't too picky about the July 1st deadline if that makes anyone feel better! I just called to let them know that some of my bloodwork still wasnt back and they said there are behind checking things off the list anyway

Mine is too lol. but then again i wasn’t complete by their October 1st deadline during the application process and still got an interview
 
so my school takes 3 business days to send the official transcript to them (I didn't realize that), should I send an unofficial transcript for now?
 
Basically they called and said they’re still expecting waitlist movement and then just proceeded to ask me questions about my health documents. Didn’t think calls were their choice communication so was thrown off
Did you have all your forms in? I sent mine yesterday but they aren’t checked off yet! Very exciting though that seems like good news!!
 
Basically they called and said they’re still expecting waitlist movement and then just proceeded to ask me questions about my health documents. Didn’t think calls were their choice communication so was thrown off
I saw your post just now and went back to check my call log and turns out I also got/missed a call from Downstate. However in the voicemail it sounds like it's the student health department who is calling me rather than anyone on the admission committee. I hope this means something good for all of us.
 
Have you sent in any updates or anything recently?
Did you have all your forms in? I sent mine yesterday but they aren’t checked off yet! Very exciting though that seems like good news!!
Yes I did have my forms in for quite a while and they were all checked off on my portal as well. Additionally no I have not sent any updates to them since being put on the alt list
 
Basically they called and said they’re still expecting waitlist movement and then just proceeded to ask me questions about my health documents. Didn’t think calls were their choice communication so was thrown off
Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but were they just confirming yours were in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you also have the BLS cert checked off too?
Yes; got my BLS back in May
Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but were they just confirming yours were in?
I take a controlled substance so they had questions about that and some of my lab values. Then I asked if they knew about any more alt list movement and they expressed there would still be some.
 
I saw your post just now and went back to check my call log and turns out I also got/missed a call from Downstate. However in the voicemail it sounds like it's the student health department who is calling me rather than anyone on the admission committee. I hope this means something good for all of us.
did you have all your health forms in ?
 
just feeling burnt out y'all. currently am on multiple waitlists, no acceptances. working on my reapplication but feeling burnt out y'all. anyone else reapplying atm?
Same situation. Took the MCAT in 2018, so I'm studying for a retake, and won't reapply until summer 2022.

It's affecting my MCAT studying; it's MUCH harder to take the test seriously when there's a (however miniscule) chance that at any moment the winged hussars might arrive and I may not need to take the exam. I'm way less efficient than I was last time.
 
Besides the few withdrawals, probably the same as before
They weren’t so set in stone with the July 1st pre-matriculation deadline. I doubt they took anyone off, unless people withdrew themselves.
I'm pretty sure on the portal it says that anybody who is CTE at a different school is automatically taken off the WL so as CTE deadlines keep coming, I feel like more and more ppl will be taken off the waitlist
 
Besides the few withdrawals, probably the same as before
They weren’t so set in stone with the July 1st pre-matriculation deadline. I doubt they took anyone off, unless people withdrew themselves.

it’s just weird that they randomly rejected people off the alternate list throughout June

i guess it gave me some false hope since i stayed on
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm pretty sure on the portal it says that anybody who is CTE at a different school is automatically taken off the WL so as CTE deadlines keep coming, I feel like more and more ppl will be taken off the waitlist
it’s just weird that they randomly rejected people off the alternate list throughout June

i guess it gave me some false hope since i stayed on

Actually yea valid points. I really hope that’s happening. All we can do is keep hoping.