2020-2021 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: SUNY - Downstate

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone understand how to fill out the pre-requisite coursework page?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! These are all the components of the secondary app @vroom14
  • Time Abroad
  • Citizenship and Residency
  • Alumni of SUNY Downstate
  • Faculty of SUNY Downstate
  • Prerequisite Coursework
  • Breaks in Education and/or Employment
  • Post September 15 Plans
  • Living in NYC Previous
  • Applicants to SUNY Downstate Specific reason(s) for SUNY Downstate
  • Downstate's Admissions Policies and Procedures
  • MPH
  • Application Fee

• Time Abroad
  • Living in NYC Previous
  • MPH
  • Application Fee
+1 IS!

Is anyone not able to drag AP chem 2x for the pre reqs? Since getting a 5 placed me out of both gen chem one and two?

Is anyone not able to drag AP chem 2x for the pre reqs? Since getting a 5 placed me out of both gen chem one and two?
It should be able to let you (it let me). Could be a technical glitch? Maybe try using a different browser

Anyone else have Letters of Recommendation say not received under status but when you click on the link, my two letters say received back in May? My MCAT score also says not received but they should have that as well.

Anyone else have Letters of Recommendation say not received under status but when you click on the link, my two letters say received back in May? My MCAT score also says not received but they should have that as well.
Same here. It's probably just going to take a few days to update

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone that can speak on any initiatives that this school has for community outreach? I know they are a community-focused school, so I was wondering if there are any programs they have

• Time Abroad
  • Living in NYC Previous
  • MPH
  • Application Fee
How many words do we have for the "why downstate"

Were you able to submit it with that length? I also don't see a limit here, but see 150 words elsewhere.
Yes I was! The sections that explicitly had a 150 word limit were
  • If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below.
  • If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below.

i submitted my secondary but it says my LOR/MCAT score hasn't been received in the SUNY portal (but when click on the LOR for example, it says my letters have been received). Is anyone else having this issue or know how to trouble shoot?

i submitted my secondary but it says my LOR/MCAT score hasn't been received in the SUNY portal (but when click on the LOR for example, it says my letters have been received). Is anyone else having this issue or know how to trouble shoot?
I have the same thing appear on my end. I think they're just going to need a few days to be able to process everything, I wouldn't worry yet!

Are these the main secondary questions?:

1. Are there any periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full time or in college full-time?

2. If you are not from the 5 boroughs of New York City, describe what personal, urban experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below. (Limit 150 words)

3. If you had a completed application to the College of Medicine in a prior application cycle, please highlight any changes since your previous application in a list with dates. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below. (Limit 150 words)

4. If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. If this question does not apply to you, enter "not applicable" in the text box below.
Yes

Question for the "Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1"
Is it referring to 9/15/2020 to 7/1/2021, what you doing in your gap year??

Question for the "Please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1"
Is it referring to 9/15/2020 to 7/1/2021, what you doing in your gap year??
I believe the word "for" implies it is referring to the upcoming year, 2020-2021. That was how I interpreted it at least

I believe the word "for" implies it is referring to the upcoming year, 2020-2021. That was how I interpreted it at least
So it's one of those "whatcha gonna do in the gap year" question, yes?

Anyone else applying here with no "personal urban experience?" I'm wondering how to answer that secondary question when I have never lived in a city before. I do have a few friends in NYC and family in upstate NY (about 3 hours away) so maybe I'll just milk that for all it's worth? They almost make it sound like a disqualifier if you're not from NYC/don't have significant "urban experience."

Anyone else applying here with no "personal urban experience?" I'm wondering how to answer that secondary question when I have never lived in a city before. I do have a few friends in NYC and family in upstate NY (about 3 hours away) so maybe I'll just milk that for all it's worth? They almost make it sound like a disqualifier if you're not from NYC/don't have significant "urban experience."
I'm in the same boat. Talked with a student there and they advised that talking about short term urban experiences (like visiting cities) just highlights your inexperience there so I'm hesitant to approach that essay.

Anyone who already submitted but not have the letters in yet get this email? Kinda strange they are already messaging asking for materials and its only been like 2 days.

Attachments

• Down.jpg
    Down.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Wow
So just to confirm, this year's prompts and word limits are the same as last year's?

Last edited:
WL in 2020, moving from the 2020 thread to the 2021 thread, Hoping for better luck this year! secondary submitted

I'm in the same boat. Talked with a student there and they advised that talking about short term urban experiences (like visiting cities) just highlights your inexperience there so I'm hesitant to approach that essay.

Have you done this essay? I'm writing it now and I guess I'm just going to be upfront and say that I haven't lived in a city, but I've always wanted to and I have friends in NYC and family in upstate NY, etc. I'll probs get rejected, but that's half the fun right?

Anyone else's mcat score and letters still have a X in the portal even after u click on it and its there?

Submitted secondary a few days ago, does anyone know if they care about attending undergrad in NYC? Not from NY but attended undergrad in the city so was hoping that is helpful and I don’t get immediately rejected lol

Pretty standard, patients is certainly a virtue with Downstate but every in the admin office is very nice

My LOR and mcat are still marked as X at this school. Anyone else? I submitted Saturday

My LOR and mcat are still marked as X at this school. Anyone else? I submitted Saturday
same here. it does say to please allow time for them to process and review the letters and MCAT

Submitted secondary a few days ago, does anyone know if they care about attending undergrad in NYC? Not from NY but attended undergrad in the city so was hoping that is helpful and I don’t get immediately rejected lol
Also wondering this if anyone can answer. From a different state but attended undergrad in NYC and am now living here and claim NY as my state of residency. Do I count as “from the 5 boroughs of New York City?”

It seems to me they are asking about how you would cope with the hustle and bustle of a big city. Just explain how you may not be originally from NYC, but you do have experience living there. But that's just my interpretation of the prompt.

Finally got an email marking my app as complete