-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 TCU & UNTHSC
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think you'll be fine.Is it worth applying to this school with ECs that probably wouldn't fly at another Christian school (like Liberty)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worth applying to this school with ECs that probably wouldn't fly at another Christian school (like Liberty)?
We invite applications from all backgrounds and experiences!
I would really like to attend here, but I don't know if I have a good chance. I'm IS with a LM of 70. My cGPA and sGPA are above 3.95 and my MCAT is nothing too special (508-509 range).
Academically, you more than meet our minimum scores as posted online. We give as much attention to your professional and personal readiness as lived and learned.
Is this school completely private unlike Baylor where instate has lower tuitions?
Yes - all private.Is this school completely private unlike Baylor where instate has lower tuitions?
CaramelBrulee
Full Member
@SOM Admissions - How does this school view re-applicants who applied/were interviewed last cycle but ultimately rejected?
@SOM Admissions - How does this school view re-applicants who applied/were interviewed last cycle but ultimately rejected?
Reapplicants must demonstrate significant improvement - updated coursework, experiences, new application and letters - you can’t submit the same application and expect a different outcome.
That’s to say - all applications are welcomed that meet our minimum requirements.
D
deleted804295
Anyone have the secondary essay prompt from last year? Trying to pre-write secondaries.
Last year their secondary was a live web-cam response to questions. Can't pre-write that! They will take some time to read apps and then invite folks for secondaries in time.Anyone have the secondary essay prompt from last year? Trying to pre-write secondaries.
Last year their secondary was a live web-cam response to questions. Can't pre-write that! They will take some time to read apps and then invite folks for secondaries in time.
Thank you! So applicants are screen before receiving a secondary?
according to their website they screen GPA and MCAT. I think it's 3.0 GPA and 497 MCATThank you! So applicants are screen before receiving a secondary?
I have few questions about the medical school (regular MD program)
Thanks a lot
- Is school scheduled to start in July 2020 for the first time? (I can't find any stats for school for any previous year)
- Is school fully accredited for regular MD program?
- It says on your website that first year tuition is free for all 60 students. What about other years? Or is tuition free for all 4 years of MD program?
Thanks a lot
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pHDole
Full Member
I have few questions about the medical school (regular MD program)
- Is school scheduled to start in July 2020 for the first time? (I can't find any stats for school for any previous year)
- Is school fully accredited for regular MD program?
- It says on your website that first year tuition is free for all 60 students. What about other years? Or is tuition free for all 4 years of MD program?
Thanks a lot
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Only the first year, I think it's about $58,000 per after that
First class starts in two weeks. They just haven't updated the website yet. Best of luck in your application cycle!I have few questions about the medical school (regular MD program)
- Is school scheduled to start in July 2020 for the first time? (I can't find any stats for school for any previous year)
- Is school fully accredited for regular MD program?
- It says on your website that first year tuition is free for all 60 students. What about other years? Or is tuition free for all 4 years of MD program?
Thanks a lot
Actually, the school's very first class starts in July 2019, and it is the only class who gets freshman year free.1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Only the first year, I think it's about $58,000 per after that
pHDole
Full Member
Actually, the school's very first class starts in July 2019, and it is the only class who gets freshman year free.
Oops, sorry. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me
@SOM Admissions I have the following questions for you.
1- I have a cGPA and sGPA of 3.96, and MCAT of 498. I read on your website that you require minimum GPA and MCAT in order to consider the applicant for a secondary application invitations. However, my question is: do you use the GPA and MCAT score for your evaluation of interview selection after submitting the secondary application? Or you do use them for the prescreening process before sending secondary application and then you will focus on the extracurricular activities?
2- I have 4,000 hours of shadowing and volunteering inside the U.S. and 10,000 hours of community service in Africa and Asia. Do you honestly consider those extracurricular activity as strong points to strengthen my situation given my low MCAT score?
3- I have submitted AMCAS app for your school in May 30th. However, I have not get any correspondence from you regarding receiving my primary app. When will you start notifying applicants about their secondary applications?
1- I have a cGPA and sGPA of 3.96, and MCAT of 498. I read on your website that you require minimum GPA and MCAT in order to consider the applicant for a secondary application invitations. However, my question is: do you use the GPA and MCAT score for your evaluation of interview selection after submitting the secondary application? Or you do use them for the prescreening process before sending secondary application and then you will focus on the extracurricular activities?
2- I have 4,000 hours of shadowing and volunteering inside the U.S. and 10,000 hours of community service in Africa and Asia. Do you honestly consider those extracurricular activity as strong points to strengthen my situation given my low MCAT score?
3- I have submitted AMCAS app for your school in May 30th. However, I have not get any correspondence from you regarding receiving my primary app. When will you start notifying applicants about their secondary applications?
bluerock
Full Member
Wow, I wish they all did this. I think I'm going to probably write close to 25,000 words, before I'm done with these secondaries.Last year their secondary was a live web-cam response to questions. Can't pre-write that! They will take some time to read apps and then invite folks for secondaries in time.
bluerock
Full Member
MSAR says "no" to Canada, International, or DACA.Do you know if TCU & UNTHSC accepts International/Canadian applicants? Thank you.
I didn't realize that this school requires 3 LOR, even if you have a committee letter. Do you think they would still send a secondary without this letter? I can get another one, but I'm just hoping that this wont delay the process of my application. Does anyone have any insight?
I didn't realize that this school requires 3 LOR, even if you have a committee letter. Do you think they would still send a secondary without this letter? I can get another one, but I'm just hoping that this wont delay the process of my application. Does anyone have any insight?
Most Committee Letters require at least 4 LORS (for the pre-health committee) so I feel like you would be good.
I must have misread their info haha. My committee letter has 4 and I have another letter so I should be good. Thank you!!Most Committee Letters require at least 4 LORS (for the pre-health committee) so I feel like you would be good.
Stats are finally out for the first class of Empathetic Scholars™
https://mdschool.tcu.edu/students/about-our-students/
60% women/ 40% men
52% from Texas
Average age 24
Average MCAT 508
Average cGPA 3.62
https://mdschool.tcu.edu/students/about-our-students/
60% women/ 40% men
52% from Texas
Average age 24
Average MCAT 508
Average cGPA 3.62
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@SOM Admissions
The class size is 60 this year, but I know that you hoped to increase it going forward. Do you have a size determined for the 2020 entering class?
Not sure where the message of a larger class has come because our plans have always been and remain to have a class of 60.
Our secondary will draw from experiences to discuss core competencies - there may be an opportunity to reflect on academic past, but your transcript and letters can address this.@SOM Admissions Will the secondary have a place to explain past academic performance, or would you suggest that it is included in the primary? Thanks.
@SOM Admissions I have the following questions for you.
1- I have a cGPA and sGPA of 3.96, and MCAT of 498. I read on your website that you require minimum GPA and MCAT in order to consider the applicant for a secondary application invitations. However, my question is: do you use the GPA and MCAT score for your evaluation of interview selection after submitting the secondary application? Or you do use them for the prescreening process before sending secondary application and then you will focus on the extracurricular activities?
2- I have 4,000 hours of shadowing and volunteering inside the U.S. and 10,000 hours of community service in Africa and Asia. Do you honestly consider those extracurricular activity as strong points to strengthen my situation given my low MCAT score?
3- I have submitted AMCAS app for your school in May 30th. However, I have not get any correspondence from you regarding receiving my primary app. When will you start notifying applicants about their secondary applications?
We just began receiving AMCAS applications in the last two weeks and will begin inviting for secondaries at the end of July. From what limited information you have shared, You meet the minimum threshold to receive a secondary.
Best of luck!
Has anyone received a primary application receipt or secondary yet?
Not yet. Excited to see the secondary prompts!Has anyone received a primary application receipt or secondary yet?
fishkitemedicine
Full Member
So no secondaries at all have went out yet?Has anyone received a primary application receipt or secondary yet?
See above, the poster @SOM Admissions is the actual TCU admissions contact here.So no secondaries at all have went out yet?
Hi! I am still a little confused on the LOR requirements of this school since it requires a committee letter accompanied by 2 additional letters. I did the committee process at my school and submitted 5 LORs to my pre-health college committee. Do I need an additional 2 letter writers to submit individual LORs?
No secondaries yet I believeSo no secondaries at all have went out yet?
Committee letters are usually considered as a single letter and but supercede all the usual other controls provided by indIvidual schools with a caveat - if school says a letter should be from a specific type of teacher or PI and your committee letter does not have one of them included, then that might pose an issue.Hi! I am still a little confused on the LOR requirements of this school since it requires a committee letter accompanied by 2 additional letters. I did the committee process at my school and submitted 5 LORs to my pre-health college committee. Do I need an additional 2 letter writers to submit individual LORs?
@SOM Admissions can clarify butHi! I am still a little confused on the LOR requirements of this school since it requires a committee letter accompanied by 2 additional letters. I did the committee process at my school and submitted 5 LORs to my pre-health college committee. Do I need an additional 2 letter writers to submit individual LORs?
I think as long as the committee letter also attaches 2 other LORs then you should meet their 3 letter requirement.
The way it's worded, it seems like committee letters don't usually come in with other letters attached so that's when you'll need 2 additional letters. https://mdschool.tcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/
They said end of July for secondaries. Tomorrow is August and I haven't heard of anyone receiving a secondary yet? Anybody out there received anything?See above, the poster @SOM Admissions is the actual TCU admissions contact here.
we've all been screened 😏
Don't poke the neurotic pre-meds!we've all been screened 😏
@SOM Admissions This is the greatest thing I've ever seen on a med school's website. Mad props (pun intended). Legendary.
Here's the link for everyone to check it out: https://mdschool.tcu.edu/empathetic-scholar/physician-development-coaches/
Here's the link for everyone to check it out: https://mdschool.tcu.edu/empathetic-scholar/physician-development-coaches/
Attachments
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is so funny. I'm sold, please accept me!@SOM Admissions This is the greatest thing I've ever seen on a med school's website. Mad props (pun intended). Legendary.
Here's the link for everyone to check it out: https://mdschool.tcu.edu/empathetic-scholar/physician-development-coaches/
Has there been any updates on when secondaries will be sent?They said end of July for secondaries. Tomorrow is August and I haven't heard of anyone receiving a secondary yet? Anybody out there received anything?
I've heard nothingHas there been any updates on when secondaries will be sent?
@SOM Admissions I am 1 year out of undergrad now, and by the time I matriculate to med school ill be 2 years out. I'm missing a prereq that you list on the website but I'm super interested in this school. Would I still be able to move forward in the application process without these reqs complete and I would take a summer classes or something to complete the requirements before matriculation?
From their website: Applicants can apply prior to having all courses completed; however, any outstanding courses must be completed and graded prior to the start of medical school. The final official transcript with graded coursework must be received no later than June 1 prior the start of medical school in July.@SOM Admissions I am 1 year out of undergrad now, and by the time I matriculate to med school ill be 2 years out. I'm missing a prereq that you list on the website but I'm super interested in this school. Would I still be able to move forward in the application process without these reqs complete and I would take a summer classes or something to complete the requirements before matriculation?
See: https://mdschool.tcu.edu/about-us/faqs/