2020-2021 TCU & UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone attending the "Assessment, Curriculum, and YOU" session tomorrow morning?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if class attendance is mandatory?
For any upcoming applicants / anyone reading this thread in the future: curriculum is taught in small group, case-based/problem-based format. No traditional lectures. So attendance is mandatory, but if you're more of a study at home/watch-pre-recorded-lectures-at-your-own-pace person, this might not be the program for you.

Reactions: 3 users
For any upcoming applicants / anyone reading this thread in the future: curriculum is taught in small group, case-based/problem-based format. No traditional lectures. So attendance is mandatory, but if you're more of a study at home/watch-pre-recorded-lectures-at-your-own-pace person, this might not be the program for you.
About how many hours/days a week do you guys spend in these small groups?

I'm not a current student, just an applicant on the waitlist! This is info I've gathered from research and the curriculum deep dive sessions. On the Curriculum page of their website, they do say that they limit structured classroom time to less than 20 hours/week.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if some of us on the waitlist may be getting calls tomorrow if some students have already declined their acceptances?

MS1 here. Here’s a breakdown of our class schedule. It varies a bit depending on classes that don’t meet every single week, your LIC assignment, and your clinical skills day (Tuesday or Wednesday).

Monday: class 9 am-12 pm

Tuesday: I have clinical skills 1 pm-5pm

Wednesday: class 9 am- 12 pm and sometimes SPT from 1 pm- 3pm.

Thursday: class 9 am - 12 pm and I have LIC every other Thursday from 1 pm- 5 pm.

Friday: class 9 am - 12 pm.

again this varies based on your clinical skills day, if you have SPT that week and if one of the monthly classes is meeting. This is a general feel for the schedule though. No promises it’ll be the same for you next year, but I’m assuming it’s pretty similar!

Reactions: 5 users
Praying all of us on waitlist get good news this week. #StayingHopeful #Relentless

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the alternate list!

Reactions: 6 users
For those on the waitlist-what are you doing about work? I have several great healthcare leadership job offers on the line, but I don't want to keep them waiting for too long. Are you all delaying job opportunities for July, or planning to quit if you get accepted? I've been transparent with all of them that there's a possibility I get in off of the alternate list.

For those on the waitlist-what are you doing about work? I have several great healthcare leadership job offers on the line, but I don't want to keep them waiting for too long. Are you all delaying job opportunities for July, or planning to quit if you get accepted? I've been transparent with all of them that there's a possibility I get in off of the alternate list.
I would take the job, get started, and be okay with walking away if necessary. You haven't misled them, so they understand the possibility That's what I'm doing with the possibility of getting into a different school off the waitlist rather than the school I'm signed up to attend. I've even had conversations with my possible future landlady at my place that I might not actually move in. Good luck!

If you miss the call to get off the waitlist, do you have a certain time you have to reply by before they move on to the next person? I can't always answer my phone at work.

Does anyone know when the drug screening is due? Is it by June 1st (along with all other prematriculation tasks) or is it done on campus before the start of class?

the reason why I ask here is because the link for this information on their website does not work, I think it’s an outdated page

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m a non-trad with a wife and a kid. We are looking at buying a house in Mansfield which means I’ll be commuting to campus. I was wondering if any current student or anyone familiar with the area can give me an insight into this commute. How feasible is a 30 minute to campus?

Hi all, I’m a non-trad with a wife and a kid. We are looking at buying a house in Mansfield which means I’ll be commuting to campus. I was wondering if any current student or anyone familiar with the area can give me an insight into this commute. How feasible is a 30 minute to campus?
Hey there. I have classmates who have been just fine commuting from Dallas and Ennis. I will say it has been easier for them because our first year was a good chunk online. For your class, you may want to think about the commute more because you may be coming in person 3 or 4 times a week. Reach out to the school and see if they have a rough estimate of when you will need to be in person. My class was in person basically once a week.

The point is that it is totally doable!

I'm not sure about the traffic coming from that side of town, but I commute about 25 min to campus. Your year will likely be in person 5x a week MHD lecture: M,W,Th,F. Clinical Skills will either be on Tuesday or Wednesday for you. SPT will be on the other day. I would expect to be on campus every week day. You would run into "rush hour" for clinical skills, which ends at 5, and possibly for morning lectures, which start at 9. I suggest you throw the two addresses into Waze and look at the predicted traffic for various days and times. For fun, I put in the SOM and Mansfield into Waze and tested morning and evening commute... looks like the traffic isn't typically too bad. (If you don't know how to do this, type in an address and select "view more times." You can then select any location instead of your current location, along with the day and time.)

I think 30 min is doable. If you have a rotation in Dallas during MS2 , it might be a little bit of a drive (think 40+ min), but that's a future you problem and certainly not a permanent thing. We aren't on campus much because of COVID, but I don't mind the commute. You can always play some study material to listen to while you drive haha.

Hey there. I have classmates who have been just fine commuting from Dallas and Ennis. I will say it has been easier for them because our first year was a good chunk online. For your class, you may want to think about the commute more because you may be coming in person 3 or 4 times a week. Reach out to the school and see if they have a rough estimate of when you will need to be in person. My class was in person basically once a week.

The point is that it is totally doable!
Thanks for the insight. I will reach out to the school and see what they think.

I'm not sure about the traffic coming from that side of town, but I commute about 25 min to campus. Your year will likely be in person 5x a week MHD lecture: M,W,Th,F. Clinical Skills will either be on Tuesday or Wednesday for you. SPT will be on the other day. I would expect to be on campus every week day. You would run into "rush hour" for clinical skills, which ends at 5, and possibly for morning lectures, which start at 9. I suggest you throw the two addresses into Waze and look at the predicted traffic for various days and times. For fun, I put in the SOM and Mansfield into Waze and tested morning and evening commute... looks like the traffic isn't typically too bad. (If you don't know how to do this, type in an address and select "view more times." You can then select any location instead of your current location, along with the day and time.)

I think 30 min is doable. If you have a rotation in Dallas during MS2 , it might be a little bit of a drive (think 40+ min), but that's a future you problem and certainly not a permanent thing. We aren't on campus much because of COVID, but I don't mind the commute. You can always play some study material to listen to while you drive haha.
Thank you for your insight. I’ve put in both addresses in Waze and it looks like the commute ain’t so bad. I know some days will be worse than others. I will just have to organize my commute times.

Thank you for your insight. I’ve put in both addresses in Waze and it looks like the commute ain’t so bad. I know some days will be worse than others. I will just have to organize my commute times.
Also know that there are some rotations during 2nd year that are in Mansfield and you can inform the school that you live out there so they can match your rotations more to that area rather than FW!

Reactions: 1 users
Also know that there are some rotations during 2nd year that are in Mansfield and you can inform the school that you live out there so they can match your rotations more to that area rather than FW!
Thanks for that information. That’s definitely gonna make my rotations a whole lot better.

Does anyone know when alternate list applicants will get a final decision if they're not accepted?

Does anyone know when alternate list applicants will get a final decision if they're not accepted?
I believe the cutoff for acceptance is the first day of orientation which is July 12th

Withdrew my acceptance today! Hope my spot goes to one of you :love:

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know a rough estimate for their alternate list size?

Does anyone know a rough estimate for their alternate list size?
I emailed them a while back, they said they wouldn't disclose the number. So it could really be anywhere from 40 to 200 being that last year they interviewed 270 people and they take 60 students.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them a while back, they said they wouldn't disclose the number. So it could really be anywhere from 40 to 200 being that last year they interviewed 270 people and they take 60 students.
I will add that the number of people that get the post II R is probably an underestimate on this forum because I did talk to a few people who got into other schools that did get rejected here a long time ago after their interview but never posted. I still feel that the pool is pretty big this year...

Feel like it's about time to bring this bad boy back around.

View attachment 337208
(credit to last cycle's thread for OG meme usage)

Alternate list folks, I'm still pulling for us.

Attachments

• 1621439230209.png
    1621439230209.png
    240.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I'm obsessed with this school but scared there won't be much waitlist movement 😭 I'm losing hope :(
I know. It's painful. Their CTE date is June 1, but hopefully people who have yet to make a decision will do so before then 🙏

• Care
Also obsessed with this school, also concerned there won't be any waitlist movement 😭

• Care
Any waitlist movement this week?
The waitlist here has been suspiciously stagnant for over three weeks. Something tells me that people admitted to TCU currently (several of whom prefer a different school) couldn’t get off the waitlist elsewhere, which I wouldn’t be surprised by because threads I’ve read suggest that the waitlist is rather stagnant nationally at several schools. Thoughts anyone?

Edit: For all we know maybe people got calls recently and nobody even posted, but something feels off this year regarding the waitlist. I would guess the next major opportunity for acceptance is the June 1 CTE deadline but no one knows the answers here.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Praying those of us on the waitlist get good news today 🙏🏽

• Care
My dudes. My babes. I GOT THE CALL!!!

I am, quite literally, shook. Unbelievably excited and pulling so hard for all of my folks still hanging on. Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive in this insane cycle!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
My dudes. My babes. I GOT THE CALL!!!

I am, quite literally, shook. Unbelievably excited and pulling so hard for all of my folks still hanging on. Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive in this insane cycle!
YEEEESSSS!! I am so so SO happy for you!!!!

• Love
So hopefully my nearly 7 month wait will pay off? Yikes...

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I’ve been on hold since November and I just got pulled off the waitlist yesterday, so there’s still hope!
Did you interview 11/9? I thought I tied the record for most CCs here with one other fellow applicant lol