2019-2020 University of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what waitlist movement is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
According to last year's thread, someone heard on a Pritzker podcast that 200-300 are waitlisted with 0-30 admitted

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
They said 15-20% of the class comes from the WL, and with such a small class size to begin with, the numbers seem even more dismal...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
According to last year's thread, someone heard on a Pritzker podcast that 200-300 are waitlisted with 0-30 admitted
They need to stop playing games. Why waitlist that many people?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Feel like I’m gonna get mugged off here :( they were super nice interviews and during the day but probably hurling daggers at my app afterwards lol
Looks like my gut was right, WL. Student host M1 said "know quite few people got in off the waitlist". Staying on it for now but happy with my current options. It's been a rough week with unfavorable decisions and don't see upcoming decisions getting any better :| Good luck to folks on the WL/Rejected, and congrats to accepted peeps

Reactions: 5 users
WL. you GUYYYYYYYS. I have been unwell the entire day waiting for this BUT we shall stay positive best wishes to everyone!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Weird that they take a classmates photo of each group to act so homey and welcoming when meanwhile such a high percentage gets WL
Yea, I wasn't a fan of the idea of taking a photo with the group. Seemed kinda odd.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Weird that they take a classmates photo of each group to act so homey and welcoming when meanwhile such a high percentage gets WL

This didn't happen at my interview in Jan but if it did I would've thought it to be super fake lol.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who interviewed for the MSTP heard anything after receiving the "continued review" letter? Unsure if this is the same as the waitlist, or if they plan to review all apps again now that interviews are over.

Hey y'all how important do you think revisit weekend is? Plane tickets are around $250 for me and after spending so much money on interviewing I'm feeling hesitant, especially because I feel like I got a great feel for the school and the student body on interview day. I know a big plus of revisit is getting to know your class and finding potential roommates, esp bc I was almost set on going to Pritzker but I recently got into Penn and now am feeling like it's more and more likely I'll end up there instead.

Sorry this was super rambly, I'm just hoping for some insight on how other people are making decisions about revisits thank u friends

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all how important do you think revisit weekend is? Plane tickets are around $250 for me and after spending so much money on interviewing I'm feeling hesitant, especially because I feel like I got a great feel for the school and the student body on interview day. I know a big plus of revisit is getting to know your class and finding potential roommates, esp bc I was almost set on going to Pritzker but I recently got into Penn and now am feeling like it's more and more likely I'll end up there instead.

Sorry this was super rambly, I'm just hoping for some insight on how other people are making decisions about revisits thank u friends
Others will disagree and probably roast me but I think it's a waste of time and money if you're pretty sure you're going to go elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
For revisit, is anyone planning to bring a significant other, or is UChicago's revisit mostly just for students?
I would email the school and ask. Schools seem to vary on how they design their second looks and handle this differently.

I called the admissions office and they do allow significant others to come, but it wasn't clear if that's the norm or not.

I was encouraged by admissions to bring my spouse so we are both going. They said they have specific events planned for SOs so I would definitely bring them along

Hey y'all, current M1 here. Is there any interest in an AMA type thing about Pritzker given that revisit is cancelled? Social distancing means I've got quite a lot of time on my hand rn so if y'all want, hit me up with any questions about Pritzker (post or PM, whatever you prefer) and I'll try my best to answer!

Hey y'all, current M1 here. Is there any interest in an AMA type thing about Pritzker given that revisit is cancelled? Social distancing means I've got quite a lot of time on my hand rn so if y'all want, hit me up with any questions about Pritzker (post or PM, whatever you prefer) and I'll try my best to answer!
Thanks for reaching out! When deciding what school to attend, did you have a difficult choice to make between Pritzker and any other similarly ranked schools? And if so, aside from really personal factors (proximity to home, cost, etc.), what about Pritzker ultimately led you to choose it over those other schools?

Also, what has surprised you the most about Pritzker since you’ve been there (i.e. something that you couldn’t or didn’t glean from pamphlets, the website, interview day, 2nd look, etc.)? This can be something good and/or bad. Thanks!

Thanks for reaching out! When deciding what school to attend, did you have a difficult choice to make between Pritzker and any other similarly ranked schools? And if so, aside from really personal factors (proximity to home, cost, etc.), what about Pritzker ultimately led you to choose it over those other schools?

Also, what has surprised you the most about Pritzker since you’ve been there (i.e. something that you couldn’t or didn’t glean from pamphlets, the website, interview day, 2nd look, etc.)? This can be something good and/or bad. Thanks!

Of course! I did have some tough calls to make. In short, I was between Pritzker and similarly/higher ranked schools where I had more of a sense of familiarity (one was in my hometown, one was where I did undergrad, one was in an area with more family). In that sense, personal factors actually would have pushed me away from Pritzker (I have no family here, and had never been to Chicago before interview day). For one however, I've always been big on taking chances and leaving my comfort zone so the newness of Chicago actually really appealed to me. More importantly, what sold me about Pritzker was the emphasis on wellness and the sense of community/family within and between classes at the school itself. It was evident to me both on interview day and during revisit. I felt that at the other schools, community within the school was limited whereas people at Pritzker genuinely had a good time with each other. My experience thus far (and that of most of my classmates) has been that if anything, that sense of community was undersold by revisit/interview day. Because of how small the class is, everything we do is pretty much open to everyone so it's like we're one big friend group. I really love that type of environment.

The surprise is how the emphasis of wellness plays out here. Bc we have a 2 year preclinical curriculum with true pass/fail, first year has been surprisingly chill. The indications from literally everyone (faculty, peers, upperclassmen) is that taking care of ourselves comes first and even if we fail a test (I've failed a couple), we can retake with no judgment or consequences. I've honestly been surprised by how much free time I've had to explore Chicago and develop my own routine here...and all of this is really encouraged by faculty and admin.

I realize that paints a really really rosy picture but that's truly been my experience. For fairness sake, I'll mention that it's possible that if you're not self-motivated, you could fall behind in some sense because there's very little pressure to compete. Also like...Chicago is really cold in the winter, like no amount of being told that or looking at the weather forecasts can prepare you for how cold it is some days. But I'm from Texas and I survived so you can too!

• Love
uchicago just gave me that full tuition scholarship I am in love I might cri

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Thanks so much for doing this! What are research opportunities like outside the curriculum? Are you or your peers able to work on projects while being in class?

Thanks so much for doing this! What are research opportunities like outside the curriculum? Are you or your peers able to work on projects while being in class?

Of course! So outside of the curriculum, research is what you make of it. We have a running database of research projects that faculty are looking for student assistants on so in addition to the Summer Research Project (fully funded) and S&D components of the curriculum, some of my classmates have been working in labs already. Following anatomy (ends in October), we have a good month and a half chunk of limited class time where many students choose to seek out labs and then carry on with those projects throughout the rest of the year.

I have to be honest, I'm a bit of a slacker so I've just kind of been waiting for SRP to do research. But it's good to know that a) there's no real expectation I go above and beyond and b) if I want to seek out those opportunities, it'd be pretty easy to do so.

Does anyone have yesterday’s match list? Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything regarding when financial aid packages will be announced?

Has anyone heard anything regarding when financial aid packages will be announced?
Probably soon? I got mine last week and I was accepted at the end of February and submitted all my docs first week of March

All FA packages will be out by Thursday!

Does anyone know if Pritzker ever matches merit financial aid? Not sure how to approach asking.

Does anyone know if Pritzker ever matches merit financial aid? Not sure how to approach asking.
Definitely worth asking. I even sent in an update (do not have another merit offer) and talked with the director of admissions and they adjusted my scholarship from 75% to full about a week later!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If any of you superstars are sure that you aren't going to be attending Pritzker, please withdraw sooner rather than later for us small folk that are hoping to get off of the waitlist!!!!! :)

Congratulations on all of your success, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, I'm a Pritzker MS3 also popping in to answer any questions you might have since revisit is canceled. @BarryO43 has been doing a great job but if you have any questions about the clinical years or just want another perspective, please feel free to DM me or ask in this thread. Hope you're all staying safe!

Withdrew from MSTP, I love thinking that maybe in the next few days someone else will get the call and it'll be the perfect school for them :)
All the best everyone!

Withdrew from MSTP, I love thinking that maybe in the next few days someone else will get the call and it'll be the perfect school for them :)
All the best everyone!

Doing the good Lord's work, my friend. Good luck to you.

First post about WL acceptance in last year’s thread was later in May.
Not sure why.

Boy, this thread has really gone belly up!

I might as well share that I emailed Ms. Sharp-Kellar a few weeks ago about waitlist logistics and she said that the first waitlist offers typically go out the first week of May. However, it goes without saying that this year is not very typical, so we'll see what happens! Hoping for next week!

I think some people may have been accepted off the waitlist because we’ve had some new people join the Facebook group/GroupMes in the last couple days.