2019-2020 Vanderbilt

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted primary June 6th and was verified June 25th. Just got my secondary from Vandy today (Jul 7th). Do they prescreen? My stats are below their average and it is a reach school for me so I am unsure if I should spend the time and money if I will just get automatically rejected...
 
I submitted primary June 6th and was verified June 25th. Just got my secondary from Vandy today (Jul 7th). Do they prescreen? My stats are below their average and it is a reach school for me so I am unsure if I should spend the time and money if I will just get automatically rejected...
Apparently they do prescreen but from what I’ve heard it’s a loose stat screen. If you have money to spare applying can’t hurt.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All Access: Med School Admissions Episodes | School of Medicine | School of Medicine | Case Western Reserve University

Anyone interested in the Vanderbilt admissions process should listen to episode 4 of Case Western's All Access: Med School Admissions. It's a very recent interview (May 31, 2019) with the Director of Admissions at the Vanderbilt SOM. I think I remember her talking about the screening process. The podcast hosts interviews with other school directors as well - super helpful.
Cool podcast!

My summary notes from listening:
  • 6000~ applications received
  • 3500~ secondaries sent
  • Pre-secondary screening: no cutoff MCAT or GPA, extracurriculars are looked at
  • Screening committee is separate from interview invitation committee which is also separate from the acceptance committee
 
Cool podcast!

My summary notes from listening:
  • 6000~ applications received
  • 3500~ secondaries sent
  • Pre-secondary screening: no cutoff MCAT or GPA, extracurriculars are looked at
  • Screening committee is separate from interview invitation committee which is also separate from the acceptance committee
I listened a while ago, but this is the only other thing I remember to add: when interviewing, they are trying to eliminate people who have negative attitudes or the “yeah, but...” type of people who are always contrarian.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@u_raptor’s secondaries will cost more than my entire application (flights and hotels included). He has success, be he pays the price lol
Unfortunately, but it is something that is worth it in my eyes. Been lucky and blessed enough to be able to afford it so far, although I am starting to hit my own limit on it.
 
I feel yuh. I budgeted for three interviews. Already surpassed that...
School provided hosts along with family in the big cities have been extremely helpful for me. Although I know some people prefer hotels as opposed to hosts.
 
School provided hosts along with family in the big cities have been extremely helpful for me. Although I know some people prefer hotels as opposed to hosts.
I am doing hotels because ever since having a daughter I haven’t been able to be naked in my own damn house and that is a privilege you don’t know you have until it is gone. I have that opportunity on the interview trail.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering how optional is the pre-interview social.

I'd love to attend but the plane ticket would cost $100 more.
 
I'm wondering how optional is the pre-interview social.

I'd love to attend but the plane ticket would cost $100 more.

So far I’ve been to one and missed one... didn’t feel it made a difference either way. Nice if u can make it but in no way did it diminish my experience at the other site to not go.
 
It's definitely optional. It will be led by two M1 students at a local pizza parlor. It's a good time to ask the M1s some questions, but it has no impact on a potential offer.