2019-2020 Vanderbilt

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II... dang, thought my autobiography was absolute trash....kind of out of interview funds though...

edit: for those interested. They are scheduling around mid november currently.
Congrats! Does anyone know when vandys ii season ends?

Also I’m SDN’s resident complete date wh*re so?
 
So I interviewed at Vandy about a month ago, and I honestly just loved it. On a sheet they gave us at the interview, it said to send them a Letter of Interest if this were the case, but I just now drafted it. Am I too far removed from the interview date to send the letter, or should I go ahead and send it?
 
So I interviewed at Vandy about a month ago, and I honestly just loved it. On a sheet they gave us at the interview, it said to send them a Letter of Interest if this were the case, but I just now drafted it. Am I too far removed from the interview date to send the letter, or should I go ahead and send it?
If you are interested, yes. Otherwise you dont stand a chance.
 
Vanderbilt wants to feel loved. Otherwise they put people on waitlist (actually they put everyone on waitlist and ask them for love letters).

I hear Mayo is the same...but they put you on the R list unless you send them a love letter before you're reviewed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vanderbilt wants to feel loved. Otherwise they put people on waitlist (actually they put everyone on waitlist and ask them for love letters).

Wouldn't sending a Letter of Interest hurt your chances of getting a merit scholarship? Excuse my cynicism, but those scholarships are tools for the school to matriculate candidates they want to keep in order to boost their yield, raise their MCAT median, snag from higher-ranked schools or schools in a more desirable location. Telling them "yo, I really really really want to come here" (Interest) or "yo, I will commit if you accept me" (Intent) tells them they don't need to pay you to come here.

Along similar lines, I believe Mayo does not give merit scholarships? I think that is because they only need to fill 46 spots and they specifically put a lot of effort into picking out applicants who would sell their soul to be at Mayo (makes me think why during the interview the literally told people to leave if they don't intend to be fully immersed in the Mayo process). Hence, love letters become part of their admission process.

Now the question is (probably more suited for last year's applicants), who got in Vandy without a love letter and who got a scholarship despite sending a love letter? I believe UChicago plays the same scholarship-to-increase-stats game and it seems like none of the early acceptances with scholarship sent a love letter.
 
I thought it was interesting that they told us here that they welcome letters of interest, but that we shouldn’t send a letter of intent unless waitlisted. If they value letters, you would think they’d take intent > interest at any time in the process.

Maybe the logic is just that letters of intent don’t seem as meaningful until your interview season is over, bc you might end up hearing from a school that changes your mind?
 
Ya’ll losing hope on II’s and I’ve still got my fingers crossed for a secondary! 😛 j/k j/k I’ve lost hope for a 2. Maybe not lost all hope because it’s still on my spreadsheet.
 
Rejected pre-II for MSTP today. Is it still worth it to forward my application to the MD admissions at this point in the cycle?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary received!!! Due on 11/01/2019. Is that tonight at midnight or tomorrow at midnight? jafj

I would assume 11:59 tomorrow! But maybe check with them in the morning, and if you can finish it tonight then just do that. but that would be crazy if they expected a couple hour turnaround. Not that this turnaround isn't already crazy... good luck and congrats!