You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Vanderbilt
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete date? Seems like Vanderbilt is turning around these apps quicker than last year.
Within the second week of JulyComplete date? Seems like Vanderbilt is turning around these apps quicker than last year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1001426
My chances of getting accepted here are pretty slim but I’m just hoping for a pity interview so I have an excuse to make a weekend trip to Nashville lol
the_expert
Full Member
good luck!! have heard amazing things about nashvilleMy chances of getting accepted here are pretty slim but I’m just hoping for a pity interview so I have an excuse to make a weekend trip to Nashville lol
premedjulia
New Member
Interview- submitted 7/21
the_expert
Full Member
Anybody interview here yet? have mine coming up next week!
Interesting point to add here.. It is very random but I got my Vandy secondary invitation today lol. I know many of you are already getting ready for your interviews. Good luck!!! Primary verified May 31st. Non-Cadadian international applicant. I thought I was screened off long time ago b/c medical schools usually tend to have higher standard for international students with way lower acceptance rates. Looks like I got some work to do here over the weekend but can't complain lol.
For my fellow non-citizen applicants, keep your hope up. I know how hard it is to pursue medicine in America as non-citizen, non-permanent resident. But gotta catch every opportunity we got and make it count.
For my fellow non-citizen applicants, keep your hope up. I know how hard it is to pursue medicine in America as non-citizen, non-permanent resident. But gotta catch every opportunity we got and make it count.
Last edited:
Good luck! I was verified mid june and got my secondary early July (though I almost forgot to fill it out lol).Interesting point to add here.. It is very random but I got my Vandy secondary invitation today lol. I know many of you are already getting ready for your interviews. Good luck!!! Primary verified May 31st. Non-Cadadian international applicant. I thought I was screened off long time ago b/c medical schools usually tend to have higher standard for international students with way lower acceptance rates. Looks like I got some work to do here over the weekend but can't complain lol.
For my fellow non-citizen applicants, keep your hope up. I know how hard it is to pursue medicine in America as non-citizen, non-permanent resident. But gotta catch every opportunity we got and make it count.
II 😀
Congrats! Complete date?II 😀
7/24Congrats! Complete date?
+1!!!II 😀
II 😀
Same here!
D
deleted804295
Would it be disadvantageous to not put a part of medicine into the autobiography essay? I realize medicine is important to talk about for med school admissions but I feel like my why medicine journey is a blip in the radar compared to my entire life and I'd essentially have to change the thesis of my autobiography if I wanted to include why med.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be disadvantageous to not put a part of medicine into the autobiography essay? I realize medicine is important to talk about for med school admissions but I feel like my why medicine journey is a blip in the radar compared to my entire life and I'd essentially have to change the thesis of my autobiography if I wanted to include why med.
The main part of my autobiography does not address medicine or why medicine at all. I talked about the values that I learned to ... value, and then at the end, I plopped in a "summary paragraph" about why medicine and how medicine ties into those values.
(also got an II at UCSD, the other autobiography school, so I think it was fine to not talk about medicine in the autobiography)
D
deleted972488
I also have IIs to both the autobiography schools and also didn’t really talk about medicine in the autobiography. I wanted it to be very distinct from the personal statement.The main part of my autobiography does not address medicine or why medicine at all. I talked about the values that I learned to ... value, and then at the end, I plopped in a "summary paragraph" about why medicine and how medicine ties into those values.
(also got an II at UCSD, the other autobiography school, so I think it was fine to not talk about medicine in the autobiography)
Interesting point to add here.. It is very random but I got my Vandy secondary invitation today lol. I know many of you are already getting ready for your interviews. Good luck!!! Primary verified May 31st. Non-Cadadian international applicant. I thought I was screened off long time ago b/c medical schools usually tend to have higher standard for international students with way lower acceptance rates. Looks like I got some work to do here over the weekend but can't complain lol.
For my fellow non-citizen applicants, keep your hope up. I know how hard it is to pursue medicine in America as non-citizen, non-permanent resident. But gotta catch every opportunity we got and make it count.
Good luck and thank you for the encouraging words! Long-time lurker but figured I might chime in because I also thought I got screened out. Canadian applicant, LM 69 and somehow also got my Vandy secondary yesterday!
Hey guys! So I just received Vanderbilt's secondary after submitting my primary on July 30th. I'm not sure what to make of this? My stats are a below their average so I figured I had just been screened out. Ik it is already late to submit a secondary. Any thoughts on if its worthwhile to submit or do they just want my money? Thanks!
D
deleted804295
Submit. They're not one of the faster schools at screening apps so you're in no way going to be penalized as long as you're not a cookie cutter applicant.Hey guys! So I just received Vanderbilt's secondary after submitting my primary on July 30th. I'm not sure what to make of this? My stats are a below their average so I figured I had just been screened out. Ik it is already late to submit a secondary. Any thoughts on if its worthwhile to submit or do they just want my money? Thanks!
Hey guys! So I just received Vanderbilt's secondary after submitting my primary on July 30th. I'm not sure what to make of this? My stats are a below their average so I figured I had just been screened out. Ik it is already late to submit a secondary. Any thoughts on if its worthwhile to submit or do they just want my money? Thanks!
Vandy prescreens at a certain GPA/MCAT cutoff, but also evaluates applicants who did not make the cutoff and then decides whether to send them a secondary. If they decided to send you a secondary, that's a good sign, imo. You should definitely submit!
Obligatory “Still waiting for my secondary I really chiseled my personal statement I hope they see That” post checking in
So I know we're not supposed to check our phones while driving, but when the subject headline is "MSTP Admissions" I can't help myself!!!
MSTP II today and I'm still screaming!!
+1 !!!!!! So excited—this is my top choice!
(Complete 9/4)
Does Vandy send secondary app reminders to everyone who doesn't submit after a while?
yeah I got one reminding me to submit my letters of rec!
croissant_lover
Full Member
Has anyone who hasn't heard about an II from Vandy sent in a letter of interest or updates? Wondering what the etiquette is on this, and whether it's still too early to send one.
the_expert
Full Member
+1Has anyone who hasn't heard about an II from Vandy sent in a letter of interest or updates? Wondering what the etiquette is on this, and whether it's still too early to send one.
Unless it’s something crazy, I would probs hold offHas anyone who hasn't heard about an II from Vandy sent in a letter of interest or updates? Wondering what the etiquette is on this, and whether it's still too early to send one.
the_expert
Full Member
at the interview didnt the dean say if we had a letter of interest to send it and she would add it to our file? a bit confused at what time would be the best to send something like thisUnless it’s something crazy, I would probs hold off
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dreamitmakeithappen
Full Member
do you guys think it's too late to submit a secondary here? i just got behind and sort of put it off, but i do love this school
gpa 3.89 and mcat 518 lots of research experience, non-trad, ORM
gpa 3.89 and mcat 518 lots of research experience, non-trad, ORM
9
907914
I will be waiting until October 15th at all schools. That will be when I can send a massive update that will probably inconsequential to the decision process but will make me feel better about myself like I am actually doing something despite really having no influence over the process. That oughta help.Has anyone who hasn't heard about an II from Vandy sent in a letter of interest or updates? Wondering what the etiquette is on this, and whether it's still too early to send one.
stressedout2019
New Member
I'm wondering the same thing!Does Vandy send you anything if they AREN'T going to send you a secondary? Any rejection notice or are you just ghosted?
They sent me an Email stating they want to meet me at UCD Pre-Health conference fair lolDoes Vandy send you anything if they AREN'T going to send you a secondary? Any rejection notice or are you just ghosted?
D
deleted972488
Will you be going to the social this evening?Hype for this interview tomorrow 😍
For those that already have interviewed, what did y'all think?
Of course! You?Will you be going to the social this evening?
D
deleted972488
I am planning on it!Of course! You?
fomo 🙁I am planning on it!
+1fomo 🙁
That social was nice! Very chill, even with the repeated table moving, lol.
Very casual. Wish there were a couple more med students though, a lot more interviewees came than they expected I think lolThat social was nice! Very chill, even with the repeated table moving, lol.
How strict is Vanderbilt with regards to IIs and MCAT avg? The general rule of thumb from what I understand is to be in the 25th-75th percentile range of a school's MSAR data. I got a secondary 2 days after my MCAT came in, but I'm only sitting at a 516, though I do possess a 4.00 cGPA (i seriously did not know till today how comparatively high Vandy's MCAT avgs were till today). Is this app worth writing essentially the final project for my Intro to Nonfiction course and a total waste of 100 bucks lmao?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do ittttt!How strict is Vanderbilt with regards to IIs and MCAT avg? The general rule of thumb from what I understand is to be in the 25th-75th percentile range of a school's MSAR data. I got a secondary 2 days after my MCAT came in, but I'm only sitting at a 516, though I do possess a 4.00 cGPA (i seriously did not know till today how comparatively high Vandy's MCAT avgs were till today). Is this app worth writing essentially the final project for my Intro to Nonfiction course and a total waste of 100 bucks lmao?
How strict is Vanderbilt with regards to IIs and MCAT avg? The general rule of thumb from what I understand is to be in the 25th-75th percentile range of a school's MSAR data. I got a secondary 2 days after my MCAT came in, but I'm only sitting at a 516, though I do possess a 4.00 cGPA (i seriously did not know till today how comparatively high Vandy's MCAT avgs were till today). Is this app worth writing essentially the final project for my Intro to Nonfiction course and a total waste of 100 bucks lmao?
Shoot your shot. Remember that you are still within their matriculant band. Don't look at accepted students but matriculants. That's what they are realistically shooting for.
I submitted w a 517 ... just shoot your shot if you got the $$$How strict is Vanderbilt with regards to IIs and MCAT avg? The general rule of thumb from what I understand is to be in the 25th-75th percentile range of a school's MSAR data. I got a secondary 2 days after my MCAT came in, but I'm only sitting at a 516, though I do possess a 4.00 cGPA (i seriously did not know till today how comparatively high Vandy's MCAT avgs were till today). Is this app worth writing essentially the final project for my Intro to Nonfiction course and a total waste of 100 bucks lmao?
I’m interviewing this week with a 517!!! Do it!!I submitted w a 517 ... just shoot your shot if you got the $$$
9
907914
I have a 521 and I am sure my autobio was at least a little bit more than half assed - do I still have a shot at an interview here?
Last edited by a moderator: