2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just turned in my secondary and got this message. I am confused because I haven't actually taken my casper yet, so idk how I'm complete. For people applying MD/PHD, did you do casper for vcu?? It's also concerning that it says MD file and not MDPHD...
1566865693586.png

Members don't see this ad.

I just turned in my secondary and got this message. I am confused because I haven't actually taken my casper yet, so idk how I'm complete. For people applying MD/PHD, did you do casper for vcu?? It's also concerning that it says MD file and not MDPHD...
View attachment 277902
I've been offered an II for MD/PHD at VCU. I completed Casper prior to submitting my secondary. Don't worry about it saying MD File, it said the same thing for me.

I've been offered an II for MD/PHD at VCU. I completed Casper prior to submitting my secondary. Don't worry about it saying MD File, it said the same thing for me.
hmmm ok I think I'll email them tomorrow to see why it says that I am complete. Also, did you have a research mentor fill out their specific reference form?? I've already had all my research mentors write rec letters for me, so this reference form would be redundant...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm ok I think I'll email them tomorrow to see why it says that I am complete.
Probably best, their admissions office is really good about responding. Best of luck!

Anyone how long it took from submitting the secondary to be marked complete? I had everything in two weeks ago but am still not marked complete

Anyone how long it took from submitting the secondary to be marked complete? I had everything in two weeks ago but am still not marked complete
Sooo I had everything submitted almost a month ago and still wasn’t marked complete and I just called them today because it seemed kind of odd and they ended telling me they haven’t received my LOR’s even though AMCAS had dispersed them and didn’t have this issue with any of my other schools. It looks like it was an IT issue on their end that they’re going to try to fix so maybe give them a call as well and make sure you don’t have the same problem as me! Wish I called them sooner!

Sooo I had everything submitted almost a month ago and still wasn’t marked complete and I just called them today because it seemed kind of odd and they ended telling me they haven’t received my LOR’s even though AMCAS had dispersed them and didn’t have this issue with any of my other schools. It looks like it was an IT issue on their end that they’re going to try to fix so maybe give them a call as well and make sure you don’t have the same problem as me! Wish I called them sooner!

Yup, seems like they consistently update to complete status within a day after submitting as long as you have everything in. So if you don’t hear anything after mire than a couple days definitely give them a call.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Did you end up getting it sorted? When I called the office two days ago it seemed like they didn't know it was a problem

Did you end up getting it sorted? When I called the office two days ago it seemed like they didn't know it was a problem
Yeah they definitely didn’t know it was a problem, they asked me to call AMCAS at first but when I called AMCAS and they said it would be on their end because they dispersed it I called them back and they said it might take a week for IT to figure it out but they wrote my name down to look out for my letters after they fix the issue on their end so I would definitely give them a call again if you didn’t have letter issues with other schools!

interview was really pleasant this school is amazing

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know when you hear back from VCU post-Interview?

Yes they will tell you on your interview day there are 4 dates.
Do they send out acceptances, rejections, and waitlists? Or do they just sends acceptances and wait til the end of the cycle for rejections and waitlists?

Do they send out acceptances, rejections, and waitlists? Or do they just sends acceptances and wait til the end of the cycle for rejections and waitlists?
The way it works is the committee meets every week or two to vote on all applicants. At that stage you are "put on hold for possible acceptance" or rejected. A few people but not too many are rejected outright and that means you failed the interview. Everyone put on hold is eligible to be accepted on those four dates. The top x number of students from that pool are accepted. Your best shot based on what we have seen on SDN is to get in that first time. Everyone on-hold that is not accepted in pushed to the next acceptance date. Again, a few people are accepted in subsequent acceptance dates but if you aren't -- in march after the 4th date they make the waitlist which is about 250 candidates and more people are rejected at that step.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah they definitely didn’t know it was a problem, they asked me to call AMCAS at first but when I called AMCAS and they said it would be on their end because they dispersed it I called them back and they said it might take a week for IT to figure it out but they wrote my name down to look out for my letters after they fix the issue on their end so I would definitely give them a call again if you didn’t have letter issues with other schools!

I'm having the same issue. Hopefully they can get it resolved soon.

I'm having the same issue. Hopefully they can get it resolved soon.
Oof I’m glad they’re aware now, I thought it might have just been my app but seems like many others might have been affected too. They told me to check in with them again next week

Oof I’m glad they’re aware now, I thought it might have just been my app but seems like many others might have been affected too. They told me to check in with them again next week

Yeah hopefully they are fixing it so it doesn't affect other applicants. They told me they'd e-mail me with an update, but I'll call again if I don't hear anything in the next week. VCU is one of my state schools so I'm feeling extra neurotic about it haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like it has been very slow with II invites on here...

Reactions: 5 users
Finally marked complete after submitting 7/31! I had issues with letters that I didn’t know about until I called last week, nothing happened since then so I called again today and someone followed my case and they had to reimport my application which fixed it and just got the complete notification. So if anyone else had issues with, definitely give them another call and they will likely have to reimport your application like they did with mine!

Finally marked complete after submitting 7/31! I had issues with letters that I didn’t know about until I called last week, nothing happened since then so I called again today and someone followed my case and they had to reimport my application which fixed it and just got the complete notification. So if anyone else had issues with, definitely give them another call and they will likely have to reimport your application like they did with mine!
Mine was also marked complete yesterday!

if your file is withdrawn for vcu, will you get a status update?

I didn't submit my capser, but I just got a notification that my MD file is complete and is under review. Is CASPER optional then?

I did not have this issue with VCU, but I recently received an email from AMCAS saying that a LOR was uploaded...when that letter was sent back in June (I also received an email from AMCAS then). I called AMCAS and they said they have been having a lot of trouble with Interfolio. If I am in the position where I need to apply again next cycle I am definitely not using Interfolio again...that $50/year was such a waste! Luckily all of my schools were marked as complete prior to this email, but I am just confused as to whether this will delay my application getting reviewed because adcoms believe the letter was submitted way later than it actually was...

I did not have this issue with VCU, but I recently received an email from AMCAS saying that a LOR was uploaded...when that letter was sent back in June (I also received an email from AMCAS then). I called AMCAS and they said they have been having a lot of trouble with Interfolio. If I am in the position where I need to apply again next cycle I am definitely not using Interfolio again...that $50/year was such a waste! Luckily all of my schools were marked as complete prior to this email, but I am just confused as to whether this will delay my application getting reviewed because adcoms believe the letter was submitted way later than it actually was...
I’ve heard a lot of people had issues with interfolio this year! Thankfully I didn’t use interfolio so my issue was specifically on VCU’s end

hey all I'm a current M1 at VCU- feel free to message me if you have any questions about VCU or the Richmond area in general (I'm a Richmond native as well). Good luck with the cycle!

I didn't submit my capser, but I just got a notification that my MD file is complete and is under review. Is CASPER optional then?

Can't really speak to why you got that notification, but CASPER is DEFINITELY required for VCU.

Anyone else been on sub committee review for three weeks?

Reactions: 3 users
If it has been 5 weeks on the Sub-committee status with no change do we just assume soft-R at this school? Wave of rejections prob coming up soon?

Does anyone have that their file review is complete? And how long have you had it?

I just got a status update about the post-interview committee review. I've been placed in the "hold" category.

II received today. Had the subcommittee message for 5 weeks. Went from the file compete message last Thursday to II today. OOS. ORM LizzyM:72

Reactions: 3 users
@rasputinc

When did you get your II? My file has been under review for 7 weeks now :(
Received the II about a month after submitting my secondary. After review I received it within a few days I believe.