2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just logged into the portal and noticed my status changed from subcommittee review to this:

Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Does anyone know how long it takes to go from this status to II or rejection...??

Got this message late July and just got rejected yesterday haha

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
PSA for anyone running super late on secondaries like me: I never received an email from VCU or anything, but I tried logging into the portal just for the heck of it and apparently I received a secondary like a month ago

Reactions: 1 user
PSA for anyone running super late on secondaries like me: I never received an email from VCU or anything, but I tried logging into the portal just for the heck of it and apparently I received a secondary like a month ago
This is a great point - the same thing happened to me. I never received any notice that I had gotten a secondary or had any portal updates. I was lucky in that I happened to check the portal just a few days after receiving one, but for those still waiting on secondaries, I would recommend checking the portal at least once a week.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is really neurotic, but has anyone's status gone from subcommittee to review by a member of the committee and then stuck on that status?

This is really neurotic, but has anyone's status gone from subcommittee to review by a member of the committee and then stuck on that status?
mine has just been review by committee - it never went to sub comittee. I am guessing the sub-committee might be for in state applications because in the past they have had different statuses for IIS vs OOS

I think Dean Mission (the VCU adcom on SDN) said that they both mean the same thing in a previous VCU thread.

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I just sent my primary last Monday but thought that they sent secondaries to all applicants

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I just sent my primary last Monday but thought that they sent secondaries to all applicants
They do a holistic screen, so they absolutely do not send to all applicants.

In my experience, they sent me the secondary within 24 hours of AMCAS verification not submission. So if you "sent" your primary last Monday, but it's not yet verified, then you likely won't receive the secondary.

There was some mention of a baseline screen several posts ago (3.3+, 503+), but I can't verify that.

does anyone else still have the initial application complete message (i.e. no indication that the app has been reviewed by a member of the committee or sub-committee)? I was complete 7/11...

does anyone else still have the initial application complete message (i.e. no indication that the app has been reviewed by a member of the committee or sub-committee)? I was complete 7/11...

Yeahp, complete 7/05

Most people probably do :)

How long between your application being marked as reviewed and any feedback do we typically see?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long between your application being marked as reviewed and any feedback do we typically see?
There is NO way to know. Your applicant receives a score and status changes. Depending on your score u may get an interview or never get one.

There is NO way to know. Your applicant receives a score and status changes. Depending on your score u may get an interview or never get one.
LOL It turns out not too long b/c I got an II about 2 hours ago! Complete 8/13, in-state.

Reactions: 3 users
II earlier this evening! :) Submitted 8/7, complete 8/14. IS!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all II! Does anyone know if II's for VCU are sent first for IS?

LOL It turns out not too long b/c I got an II about 2 hours ago! Complete 8/13, in-state.
Congrats!! Was 8/13 when your app was marked as reviewed or when all materials were received?

Congrats!! Was 8/13 when your app was marked as reviewed or when all materials were received?
All materials in. I was waiting on a committee letter. It was marked as reviewed on 8/16.

mine has just been review by committee - it never went to sub comittee. I am guessing the sub-committee might be for in state applications because in the past they have had different statuses for IIS vs OOS

Mine went from review by committee to review by sub-committee and I'm OOS

thank you!! ((I picked up a pen, I wrote my own deliverance))
I literally just walked out of Hamilton, currently sitting in a parking garage waiting for traffic to move. So, funny that I get this notification right now.

Reactions: 3 users
I literally just walked out of Hamilton, currently sitting in a parking garage waiting for traffic to move. So, funny that I get this notification right now.
This is my favorite conversation thread on SDN lol

When I heard the song for the first time I thought about you.

I wish I was joking.
My dearest, (comma after dearest) tinfoilforests thank you for that wonderful compliment lolol good luck to you this cycle!

• Love
Eeep! Just got the MD/PhD II! Super happy about this one, I think the school is a great fit :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
You must check the portal to see if you have a secondary. They do screen btw

for those that are interviewing, does VCU do a "stay with a student" for the night before the interview? The cost of hotels in the area are significantly more expensive than what VCU indicated on their portal, even after the VCU SOM discount :(

for those that are interviewing, does VCU do a "stay with a student" for the night before the interview? The cost of hotels in the area are significantly more expensive than what VCU indicated on their portal, even after the VCU SOM discount :(
I know they were offering the option to MD/PhD interviewers.

I got an email saying to call them about an fmSTAT interview (I applied). But its probably 8 pm there and I was at work so I have to call Monday. anyone else get this?

Rejected post-secondary today. Unfortunate as I was hoping to continue with the VCU application process, but life goes on. Does anyone know if they provide feedback? Hoping CASPer didn't shoot my application down.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected post-secondary today. Unfortunate as I was hoping to continue with the VCU application process, but life goes on. Does anyone know if they provide feedback? Hoping CASPer didn't shoot my application down.

They do. I emailed last May and was given a time in June to speak at a member of the AdCom. I'm not sure if they'd give you feedback until the current app cycle is over though.

They do. I emailed last May and was given a time in June to speak at a member of the AdCom. I'm not sure if they'd give you feedback until the current app cycle is over though.

Thanks for the information, going to follow up with their admissions officers. Best of luck to all of y'all!

one of my friends was rejected pretty early in the app cycle last year (I don't remember if pre- or post-secondary, sorry) and was able to get feedback p quickly after so I'd def say contact them!

Sorry to hear about the R! Good luck with your other schools. Worried I might be next lol ... when where you complete?

Would you guys recommend including talking about patient experience in the secondary? The question didn't ask for it, but I feel like I have answered the prompt to the best of my ability with a lot of detail and am only at 1300 characters.

I included an example of where I experienced a similar situation while at work, but I tried not to talk about it too much because I didn't want it to look like extra fluff.