2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just finished my Interview at this school, everyone was really lovely and put a lot of effort into making us feel comfortable! One thing, all the girls who wore heels were seriously regretting that decision after the long interview (that involved standing and sitting) and the walking tour that included stairs. Plan your shoe choices wisely!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look at my post history for evidence of my interviews. I posted my own screenshot.
All your post history proves is that you have a LM of 70. Definitely not high enough to be yield protected. Congrats on your interviews but that does not mean you deserved an ii from vcu. They simply did not want you

Reactions: 16 users
Just finished my Interview at this school, everyone was really lovely and put a lot of effort into making us feel comfortable! One thing, all the girls who wore heels were seriously regretting that decision after the long interview (that involved standing and sitting) and the walking tour that included stairs. Plan your shoe choices wisely!!!
+1 tour was so long and involved a decent bit of walking outside, was genuinely sweating by the time it was over

Yield protection is more than just LM scores. Obviously you should know that as you try to insult my LM. Your LM is 78 and here you are spamming all the school specific threads about complete dates like a loser. Get @ my level, LM70 w/15 interviews and I'm not URM. I get the right to be salty and rant like a human being as I got rejected here.
Yikes. I hope you figure out whatever is making you so angry today to come at both @MemeLord and I. Have a good cycle!

Reactions: 4 users
But just out of curiosity, how would you know that you were rejected because of yield protection?

Did the rejection letter say that “I am sorry to inform you that we can go forward with your application because we want to do some yield protection?”

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
GUYS AND GIRLS STOP ENGAGING... seriously. Thats what they want. Just don't engage.

Reactions: 3 users
I speculate this because I have interviews at much higher tier schools (UCLA/UCSD/Yale/Pitt, etc.) , but have been getting rejections from schools I thought were matches based on stats like VCU. It's all speculation of course and I'm honestly just salty, and more salty some premed thinks they represent VCU and their admissions committee

I can understand the frustration because getting rejected is tough. No one likes it. But regarding this yield protection stuff, schools reject us sometimes not because of our stats but because we are not the type of students they look for. We just dont fit with their mission. And that’s ok. No one is a fit for every school.

Reactions: 11 users
Today I got an email from them to check my application portal. I logged into the portal and it said "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." I'm assuming they rejected me, but am not sure. Is this a R?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I got an email from them to check my application portal. I logged into the portal and it said "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." I'm assuming they rejected me, but am not sure. Is this a R?
No, this showed up for me and I got an II two days later. This is their generic "wait for our committee to convene and discuss your app to determine II" status.

When were you complete? My portal has been on "The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application" status for 5ever.

No, this showed up for me and I got an II two days later. This is their generic "wait for our committee to convene and discuss your app to determine II" status.
Thanks. I'll wait a few more days.
When were you complete? My portal has been on "The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application" status for 5ever.
That's weird. I was complete 8/15. OOS

Last edited:
Got rejected today, R #2 of the cycle.... Good luck to everyone still waiting! For those who are curious, I was complete on July 23rd

• Sad
Got rejected today, R #2 of the cycle.... Good luck to everyone still waiting! For those who are curious, I was complete on July 23rd
the process is mysterious im sure you will get one somewhere

Hi everyone,

Just got an II today (9/13). Was completed on 8/29/19.

Good luck to everyone! Does anyone know if they are rolling admissions or a big release?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Just got an II today (9/13). Was completed on 8/29/19.

Good luck to everyone! Does anyone know if they are rolling admissions or a big release?
1) big release sounds funny

2) Did your portal say your file complete?

3)Is or OOS

4) They release acceptances on 4 dates.

II just now. Scheduled for 10/15.

Do you know roughly which dates they release acceptances?
Did ur status go to file review complete? And October 15 December 15 feb 15 March 15

1) big release sounds funny

2) Did your portal say your file complete?

3)Is or OOS

4) They release acceptances on 4 dates.

Haha my bad man! I didn't know how else to say it but you're right. Big release does sound funny. Truth be told, I did not pay attention to it but I think it might have? (once again, I wouldn't weigh anything on this) and I am OOS!

I was completed mid August and have had the under review message since then. Should I be concerned that people with later complete dates are getting IIs??

I was completed mid August and have had the under review message since then. Should I be concerned that people with later complete dates are getting IIs??

No this time last year they were scheduling into December and January. They have to significantly slowed down their II distribution this year. They’re only scheduling into October — patience our time will come.

No this time last year they were scheduling into December and January. They have to significantly slowed down their II distribution this year. They’re only scheduling into October — patience our time will come.
Thank you! Def needed to hear that

First rejection of the season! Stats above their median so I'm a bit clueless as to why.

My only idea is that my essays helped bring me up at other schools and since this school didn't have traditional essays mine didn't help me meet the cut off.

First rejection of the season! Stats above their median so I'm a bit clueless as to why.

My only idea is that my essays helped bring me up at other schools and since this school didn't have traditional essays mine didn't help me meet the cut off.

People told me VCU cares about the fit a lot so I think that’s the only reason why. I wish the best for you!

People told me VCU cares about the fit a lot so I think that’s the only reason why. I wish the best for you!
How do they determine fit if they only had an ethical based secondary essay?

Also thanks for letting me know!

probs from your primary (extra-curriculars, personal statement, most meaningful activities) :)

They also have the wealth of experiences you reported in your primary. Between your response to the ethics question, experience reported in your primary (including volunteer work, community health, research, etc.), and personal statement, they can probably gleam a lot from fit. The cycle isn't transparent however, and the best thing to do is not look to far into it. Best of luck!

Also for the 4 decision dates for A/R/WL, does anyone know if MD/PhD interviewers are notified on the same days? The website states that applicants are reviewed by both the MD/PhD and MD committee post-interview, but curious if the final decision announcement process is the same.

I've been complete for a month and a half now. It still says "A member of the committee will do a review of your application". Nothing about a subcommittee or anything like that. It's kind of pissing me off lol.

I have a friend whose stats are well above the school average and another that has just above average and both got rejections. Fit matters a lot in this school. I can attest because last cycle I was rejected here and this cycle i got an interview lol

I have a friend whose stats are well above the school average and another that has just above average and both got rejections. Fit matters a lot in this school. I can attest because last cycle I was rejected here and this cycle i got an interview lol

What made them interview you this time?

WOOO GOT PLACED ON HOLD POST INTERVIEW LETS GET ITTTTTTT, II 8/28 :)

• Haha
WOOO GOT PLACED ON HOLD POST INTERVIEW LETS GET ITTTTTTT, II 8/28 :)
Wow, I'm surprised they made a decision so quickly. Thought they would at least wait until October 15th. Now I'm worried about getting placed on-hold or rejected from my schools I've interviewed at :(

Wow, I'm surprised they made a decision so quickly. Thought they would at least wait until October 15th. Now I'm worried about getting placed on-hold or rejected from my schools I've interviewed at :(
getting placed on hold here is a good thing ahah, it means youre gonna get accepted or WL, but they cant make a decision yet until Oct.15.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
getting placed on hold here is a good thing ahah, it means youre gonna get accepted or WL, but they cant make a decision yet until Oct.15.
Ah, good to know! In that case, CONGRATS :p

Ah, good to know! In that case, CONGRATS :p
Just FYI almost everyone gets put on hold for acceptance. if you fail at that stage that means you egregiously failed the interview. It is incorrect to state that people put on hold for acceptance are either accepted or waitlisted. That pool of on hold candidates is shrunk for the waitlist. So you can still be rejected post-II but later in march when the waitlist is formulated. All it means is that you did not fail the interview.

Reactions: 2 users
i
Just FYI almost everyone gets put on hold for acceptance. if you fail at that stage that means you egregiously failed the interview. It is incorrect to state that people put on hold for acceptance are either accepted or waitlisted. That pool of on hold candidates is shrunk for the waitlist. So you can still be rejected post-II but later in march when the waitlist is formulated. All it means is that you did not fail the interview.
it says on their update as well as was mentioned throughout the interview day that its either a waitlist or acceptance lol, i dont think it's incorrect to state that.

it says on their update as well as was mentioned throughout the interview day that its either a waitlist or acceptance lol, i dont think it's incorrect to state that.

Nah, one of the last sentences in the post-interview “hold” portal message is “Your application will no longer be under consideration if you do not receive an invitation to be on the alternate list.” I’m sure most people end up A or WL but they do leave the possibility open that you will get neither and thus no longer be under consideration