2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone speak to EDP numbers of accepted and waitlisted? Worth it or not?
I’ve heard from friends that went there that it isn’t worth it

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone speak to EDP numbers of accepted and waitlisted? Worth it or not?

I’ve heard from friends that went there that it isn’t worth it

Eh, I guess it depends. It was very much worth it for some of my friends who did EDP (and were able to get in)--paid very little on applications, felt less burnt out, and had an early acceptance. Some EDP advice: The key is to make your application very Wayne-centered. Make it clear that you want to work and learn in Detroit (maybe evident through volunteering experience in urban settings, doing research on topics pertinent to the locale, etc.). Also mention it in your personal statement. Then make it shine through on interview day--have lots of specific examples as to why you want to go to Wayne State.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, I guess it depends. It was very much worth it for some of my friends who did EDP (and were able to get in)--paid very little on applications, felt less burnt out, and had an early acceptance. Some EDP advice: The key is to make your application very Wayne-centered. Make it clear that you want to work and learn in Detroit (maybe evident through volunteering experience in urban settings, doing research on topics pertinent to the locale, etc.). Also mention it in your personal statement. Then make it shine through on interview day--have lots of specific examples as to why you want to go to Wayne State.
careful mentioning anything specific to wayne state in your personal statement or activities -- in the chance that you still don't get accepted in EDP, you will not be able to change your personal statement or activities, which will be bad if you decide to still apply to other schools afterward.

Members don't see this ad :)
careful mentioning anything specific to wayne state in your personal statement or activities -- in the chance that you still don't get accepted in EDP, you will not be able to change your personal statement or activities, which will be bad if you decide to still apply to other schools afterward.
Yes I agree! I meant things that would pertain to Wayne and its mission, not explicitly saying "Wayne is my top choice"

Reactions: 1 user
There was a post by a current student on the Facebook group last week regarding an optional scholarship info meeting. Did anyone receive a follow-up on this? Also does anyone know when Wayne starts giving out financial aid award letters? Thanks!

There was a post by a current student on the Facebook group last week regarding an optional scholarship info meeting. Did anyone receive a follow-up on this? Also does anyone know when Wayne starts giving out financial aid award letters? Thanks!
Can you estimate as to how many in that chat are incoming M1s?

Can you estimate as to how many in that chat are incoming M1s?
Hmm..it wasn't a chat per se but a Facebook post on the class page by an M2 who linked a google docs survey on a scholarship info zoom meeting to gauge how many people would be interested. I don't have an estimate unfortunately!

Hey guys,

Okay question. So I was accepted at msucom, which starts in June. I'm also on the waitlist for wayne and I on the waitlist email it says if you're accepted into any MD or DO school, then you wouldn't be considered at wayne. How should I proceed? I really want to go to wayne, but don't know what to do.

"4) Applicants who have matriculated into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine. Matriculation at most allopathic medical schools occurs in July or August."

Do I just not contact them? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Okay question. So I was accepted at msucom, which starts in June. I'm also on the waitlist for wayne and I on the waitlist email it says if you're accepted into any MD or DO school, then you wouldn't be considered at wayne. How should I proceed? I really want to go to wayne, but don't know what to do.

"4) Applicants who have matriculated into any U.S. allopathic or osteopathic school of medicine during the present application year will be withdrawn from any further consideration for admission by Wayne State University School of Medicine. Matriculation at most allopathic medical schools occurs in July or August."

I am in the exact same boat as you. In at MSUCOM but waitlisted at Wayne. I sent a letter of intent a while ago and just hoping for the best. At the end of the day, I am happy with MSUCOM and still get to be a physician. It just sucks how Wayne takes their sweet time and I'm hoping for an answer before I matriculate at MSUCOM (whether its an acceptance or rejection).

Hey guys,

As long as you get accepted into Wayne before school starts for MSU, Wayne shouldn’t have a problem. They just don’t want you to start school somewhere and leave when another acceptance rolls around

But would they ever know? How would they even find out?
Yikes.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm in the same situation too. Do you think Wayne will automatically know if we matriculate to MSUCOM or should we reach out to Wayne and tell them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, not sure. I asked some friends that are at wayne and they said that they never had that stipulation.

Honestly, not sure. I asked some friends that are at wayne and they said that they never had that stipulation.

But this is also the first year that they mention that last part in the email right ? That’s my guess though .. About if you matriculate, you will be removed from further consideration or something .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But this is also the first year that they mention that last part in the email right ? That’s my guess though .. About if you matriculate, you will be removed from further consideration or something .

Yeah, apparently it's their first time.

Figured I’d ask on here before contacting Wayne directly...

Does anyone know if we can submit titers that we’re drawn previously? I got them done for my job about 8 months ago, and I’d rather not get them done again if I don’t need to.

Still wondering if anyone who got the additional skype interview was ultimately accepted. Seems like such a weird thing to do if they aren't even extending offers to some of those people

Hey guys,

I go to Wayne. If you tell another school on AMCAS that you are going to MSUCOM, it will withdraw you from all other schools, including waitlists. I know this really sucks but at the end of the day you will be a doctor
you can contact them, but honestly they probably won't do anything. Hold out as long as you can and then make a choice.

Last edited:
I go to Wayne. If you tell another school on AMCAS that you are going to MSUCOM, it will withdraw you from all other schools, including waitlists. I know this really sucks but at the end of the day you will be a doctor
you can contact them, but honestly they probably won't do anything. Hold out as long as you can and then make a choice.
so this applies to any MD school, not just Wayne, is what you are saying? Am I getting that right? =/

Wanted to clarify...what do you mean by "hold out"?

so this applies to any MD school, not just Wayne, is what you are saying? Am I getting that right? =/
I can't speak for other medical schools and you all probably know better than me if rules have changed.

Just as an example for Wayne, last year when I started, every student, waitlisted or accepted straight-out, had to select commit to enroll by June 24th (probably similar this year) and withdraw all other acceptances and waitlist. I'm sorry I can't help with other schools!

Wanted to clarify...what do you mean by "hold out"?
Sorry for being vague! I just mean when I was in your shoes with a similar situation last year, I waited until closer to the final date I had to make a final decision before deciding! I don't know what MSUCOM's dates are, but then sound pretty early compared to other schools.

Folks on the waitlist, how do we feel about further acceptances? Still more going to be given out or are we pretty much done for this cycle?

Folks on the waitlist, how do we feel about further acceptances? Still more going to be given out or are we pretty much done for this cycle?
I honestly only heard good things about wayne’s WL - “its a good WL to be in, a lot of WL movement, so many people accepted off the WL” but it’s been a while since anyone’s posted an acceptance, but then again their class size is near 300 so I’m not really sure. All we can do now is to have faith!

Reactions: 3 users

I know multiple people from different years who have been accepted only a week or two before classes start. There's still hope!

Sorry for being vague! I just mean when I was in your shoes with a similar situation last year, I waited until closer to the final date I had to make a final decision before deciding! I don't know what MSUCOM's dates are, but then sound pretty early compared to other schools.

MSUCOM starts next week I believe. They’re one of the few schools that starts in early June .

I just got accepted off the waitlist last night!! Does anyone know if I still need to use the choose your medical school tool on AMCAS?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just got accepted off the waitlist last night!! Does anyone know if I still need to use the choose your medical school tool on AMCAS?
congrats! I believe you need to still use it to CTE to WSU and then withdraw from other programs assuming you have acceptances at other schools. If you don't mind sharing, when did you interview?

congrats! I believe you need to still use it to CTE to WSU and then withdraw from other programs assuming you have acceptances at other schools. If you don't mind sharing, when did you interview?
Thank you! I interviewed 12-2-19 and was basically immediately waitlisted around 4 days after. The reason I am asking is because the CTE tool on AMCAS is not showing up for me for some reason. My portal is updated with the acceptance so I think I'm just being a little paranoid. Any info on this issue would be much appreciated.

Same thing happened to me and I got equally paranoid lol. Just took a few days to show up. You’ll be good :)
Thank you! I interviewed 12-2-19 and was basically immediately waitlisted around 4 days after. The reason I am asking is because the CTE tool on AMCAS is not showing up for me for some reason. My portal is updated with the acceptance so I think I'm just being a little paranoid. Any info on this issue would be much appreciated.

Did anyone get waitlisted then rejected from Wayne? Like I know a lot of medical schools have started to reject students from the waitlist.

Does anyone know how to contact WSU Admissions, aside from the number provided on their site? They are closed, and I don't know if the COVID situation changed things and created new ways to reach them? Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how to contact WSU Admissions, aside from the number provided on their site? They are closed, and I don't know if the COVID situation changed things and created new ways to reach them? Thanks in advance!
email

Just accepted off the waitlist, do we have to do anything else beside accepting the offer through the portal?

Reactions: 2 users
Portal got updated, lot more admissions offers than last year, does this mean there will be less waitlist movement?
Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 1.15.00 PM.png

Reactions: 4 users
Would you guys know how this would affect WSU? I have been hearing that WSU has been struggling with their affiliations lately.
The dean said in the town hall today that WSU and Henry Ford still have an established relationship, with HF faculty on Wayne's leadership team, students guaranteed to rotate there, etc. Also, the MSU/HF relationship is a non-binding letter of intent from what I read, pertaining mostly to primary care only. I think we as current or prospective students in the near future shouldn't have anything to worry about

The dean said in the town hall today that WSU and Henry Ford still have an established relationship, with HF faculty on Wayne's leadership team, students guaranteed to rotate there, etc. Also, the MSU/HF relationship is a non-binding letter of intent from what I read, pertaining mostly to primary care only. I think we as current or prospective students in the near future shouldn't have anything to worry about

I agree with Chocolover777’s assessment here. From what I hear, Henry Ford is still guaranteeing to take the same number of WSU med students for rotations as they have been, for the “foreseeable future”. I sincerely doubt anything will change significantly for anyone starting this year or applying now.

Reactions: 2 users