2019-2020 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: West Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

Just got their secondary!

Reactions: 1 user
different prompts than last year @Goro @PapaGuava

150 words
1. Why did you choose to apply to West Virginia University School of Medicine?
2. Statistics reveal that a large percentage of physicians will experience burnout at different points in their career. Stress levels can even start to rise early on in medical school. Physicians must take care of themselves optimally in order to take optimal care of their patients. Please describe how you will handle stress in medical school and your plans to prevent burnout.

CHOOSE 2: 150 words
3. Tell us one unique fact about yourself.
4. What is your theme song and why?
5. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.
6. Every accepted student to the Class of 2024 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates, and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

150 words
2. Statistics reveal that a large percentage of physicians will experience burnout at different points in their career. Stress levels can even start to rise early on in medical school. Physicians must take care of themselves optimally in order to take optimal care of their patients. Please describe how you will handle stress in medical school and your plans to prevent burnout.

5. Students are a crucial part of the medical team, and often students bring innovative ideas to challenging situations. Please provide a creative solution to a major health issue in West Virginia.
6. Every accepted student to the Class of 2024 will bring varied experiences to enhance the learning environment. If accepted, what can you teach your classmates, and in turn, what are you hoping to learn from them?
Do you have a question?

I'm not a moderator

150 words

Thanks for posting!

150 words

Ouf saved my life. I was JUST about to prewrite last year's WVU secondary essays

Reactions: 1 users
The secondary website said "Open PDF, select edit and then delete the last page of your AMCAS application that lists your designated schools". and then upload the new document. What if half of the last but one page also contains the school list...?

The secondary website said "Open PDF, select edit and then delete the last page of your AMCAS application that lists your designated schools". and then upload the new document. What if half of the last but one page also contains the school list...?
I opened my app as a PDF in adobe acrobat and simply deleted the school list out of the pdf and saved it

Also, should we delete the LOR information too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a committee letter and just deleted the # of schools I applied to

Gotcha - I have school-specific letters so figured they would want me to cut it out since that section wouldn't tell them explicitly how many letters to expect anyway?

Gotcha - I have school-specific letters so figured they would want me to cut it out since that section wouldn't tell them explicitly how many letters to expect anyway?
If you want a free way just search for an online PDF editor and you can delete pages/use whiteout through that.

yeah, that should work. I'd just nix it

I emailed them and they said we should delete any pages with the school list.
but one of the pages with my school list has 1/2 of my personal statement on it?? I'd assume they'd want to read that?

but one of the pages with my school list has 1/2 of my personal statement on it?? I'd assume they'd want to read that?
Edit the pdf and put a white box over your school list.

Current WVU MS4, been here since 2013. AMA.

I got in, so at least 1%. I know others that have no ties that also got in, so I'm doubling my estimate to say at least 2%.

Reactions: 2 users
I got in, so at least 1%. I know others that have no ties that also got in, so I'm doubling my estimate to say at least 2%.

Haha, thanks! You can answer one, two, or all of my questions:

What are your favorite things to do on campus?

What’s the emphasis of the DEAC clinic? I’m very interested in this student opp

How is the study time for Step 1? How is studying for the exam integrated within classes?

How are the faculty?

Woohoo first rejection of the cycle! Good luck to everyone else applying here.

• Wow
  • Sad
Haha, thanks! You can answer one, two, or all of my questions:

What are your favorite things to do on campus?

What’s the emphasis of the DEAC clinic? I’m very interested in this student opp

How is the study time for Step 1? How is studying for the exam integrated within classes?

How are the faculty?

1. I'm extremely introverted so I guess not be on campus? Also there's a mini-gym there so I'm going to say gym. In first and second year the classroom is your second home and outside of the study room and medical student lounge that's pretty much it.

2. DEAC clinic? If it's a delivery to underserved people, there are so many of them. MUSHROOM too I think. Probably good, I never did it, but I should have. Good way to practice your clinical skills and help people out.

3. I can talk about this one a LOT. It changes year to year. You can check out the calendar here MD Calendars | School of Medicine | West Virginia University . I remember taking 5 weeks for Step 1 but that was because my PhD started in August. Our school is a bit different in that they put you though NBME preclinical shelf exams every 3 days in a gauntlet at the end of second year. When other students say second year is brutal, just laugh in their face because unless they are doing what we're doing, it's no comparison. I can't remember exactly when the end of Block 11 is in second year but it's somewhere around mid-May. You then have Micro/Immuno, Pharm, Path, Clinical Skills shelves separated by 2-3 days, and then the end of the end is the practice Step 1 CBSE. then you start dedicated period. most students take 3-4 weeks, 1 week vacation, start bootcamp June 25.

Exam integration is pretty good. In 2014-2015 when I took MS2/Step 1, at least 80% of our curriculum applied directly to Step 1. I was using First Aid along with classes, of course there was more material from class but it wasn't the horror stories you read on the internet about faculty asking in-depth questions or questions on their research that has nothing to do with Step 1. I've heard similar things for the classes recently. Our classes use classic books as sources for lectures and questions (Robbins for Path best example) so it's really pretty good.

tl;dr: most students are going to UFAPS second year no matter where they go and you're going to do the same thing too.

4. I have no idea now, to be honest. Faculty turn around everywhere year after year, both preclinical and clinical, just like every other medical school. I liked the faculty second year, but I was also a home-stream student who woke up at 10 AM and did things on my own time.

OOS II as well! I was wondering why they emailed me about missing credit hours a couple hours ago :laugh:

Excuse me while I furiously refresh my email

Reactions: 5 users
when were you guys complete?
I received the secondary on June 28, submitted it on July 2, and got an email saying that they received it. I didn't hear anything else from them until they sent out the II today