2019-2020 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone not receive a secondary from this school? This is the only school I haven't gotten one from so I am confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who is interviewing here soon, does anyone have any tips on how to prepare.

Just have the classic questions prepared and be yourself. They heavily screen before handing out secondaries and before interview invites. If you're interviewing that means they already want you at their school. I don't know how accurate this will be later on in the season, but they told us that approximate 90% of the students they interview are accepted. So just try to shake off the nerves and enjoy your time there. You'll do great! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all, current first year student here. I know this can be an incredibly discouraging process, but it pays off to keep trying. Initially I was not offered a secondary application at WCUCOM due to my GPA. However, after calling and expressing continued interest, Dr. Weir sent me a follow up email and offered a secondary. I interviewed in April and was accepted in May. It felt like the faculty were genuinely engaged during my interview and it was honestly the easiest one I’ve done, since it was so laid back. Let me know if you have any questions! You guys rock and you’ve got this!

What’s one good thing and one bad thing about WCUCOM? How is your daily schedule? Are their research opportunities? How have the upperclassmen commented in regards to board prep/rotations?

II, OOS (but a neighboring state). Complete 8/5. I am digging the number of Emergency Med matches. Good luck all.

II received! OOS. Assigned for September 20!

Reactions: 1 user
Most relaxed interview ever? Interviewed here yesterday and I can't say enough about how easy it was and calmed your nerves. It's 3 on 1, but the whole time they don't stare you down and ask really general questions; and I got the vibe that they didn't really want a long response. If they bring you for an interview, and you have an answer, they seemed to be okay with it. Professors here seem practically oriented and have experience in the field as being actual doctors not so much research focus which seemed great to me. Facilities looked nice from what we could see (we didn't get to see the simulation lab yesterday), but the architecture of the campus was cool with the red bricks like a lot of others in the South. Was surprised at how much I liked this school.

negatives: 80% of lectures are mandatory, no pass fail curriculum and they have a class ranking, and a student said half her class has a cutthroat attitude but the other half gets along. BUT other students said they don't see that cutthroat culture so you never know. Dress code is eh, but doesn't bother me too much.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who interviewed, which airport did you guys fly into? hotels? do I need a car rental or is uber available? .... recommendations.

For those who interviewed, which airport did you guys fly into? hotels? do I need a car rental or is uber available? .... recommendations.
Flew into Hattiesburg which is the Laurel airport I believe. I stayed at the Courtyard but there’s lots of hotels around and mine didn’t have a complimentary breakfast so I do not recommend. I got around my entire three day trip with uber and lyft so I don’t believe that a rental is necessary.

Flew into Hattiesburg which is the Laurel airport I believe. I stayed at the Courtyard but there’s lots of hotels around and mine didn’t have a complimentary breakfast so I do not recommend. I got around my entire three day trip with uber and lyft so I don’t believe that a rental is necessary.

Did you fly into PIB? The Laurel-Hattiesburg airport? I noticed it’s a town called Moselle of 18,000 people. I was hoping there was some Lyfts or Uber’s around since I don’t want to rent a car either!

Did you fly into PIB? The Laurel-Hattiesburg airport? I noticed it’s a town called Moselle of 18,000 people. I was hoping there was some Lyfts or Uber’s around since I don’t want to rent a car either!
Yeah PIB and it wasn’t a super far drive to my hotel or the school. I found ubers and lyfts my entire stay so hopefully you’d be fine!

I had the interview yesterday and honestly the nicest medical school interview experience youll prob get

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, current first year student here. I know this can be an incredibly discouraging process, but it pays off to keep trying. Initially I was not offered a secondary application at WCUCOM due to my GPA. However, after calling and expressing continued interest, Dr. Weir sent me a follow up email and offered a secondary. I interviewed in April and was accepted in May. It felt like the faculty were genuinely engaged during my interview and it was honestly the easiest one I’ve done, since it was so laid back. Let me know if you have any questions! You guys rock and you’ve got this!
What is the gpa requirement for a secondary

I recieved an interview invitation today as well. Very excited!

II just now as well! Complete 8/15
Also does anyone know what the cheapest airport to fly to is?

Hey Guys! Silly question, I know, but for the secondary app, did you all just type out your answer to the essay question, and then glue it on to the paper, or type directly on the form?

Hey Guys! Silly question, I know, but for the secondary app, did you all just type out your answer to the essay question, and then glue it on to the paper, or type directly on the form?

No such thing as a silly question.

I typed onto the form, printed it, signed in the requisite space, scanned all forms back to a device (I used my fax at work to send it to my email) and then sent the completed app via email.

Unless you are using dermabond, we should never use glue in a professional capacity again. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I typed into a word doc and then transferred over.

For accepted students we will receive the packet/instructions for the next steps on October 1st right? And the deposit is due prior to December 14th?

For accepted students we will receive the packet/instructions for the next steps on October 1st right? And the deposit is due prior to December 14th?
I heard we have two weeks after October 1st to place deposit. That’s what a current student told me but that could be wrong.

I heard we have two weeks after October 1st to place deposit. That’s what a current student told me but that could be wrong.
I Think as long as were accepted before Nov. 15 then we have until Dec. 14 to make the deposit. If accepted between Nov.15 and Jan.14 then we have thirty days. If accepted afterwards then it’s almost an immediate deposit I think.

I Think as long as were accepted before Nov. 15 then we have until Dec. 14 to make the deposit. If accepted between Nov.15 and Jan.14 then we have thirty days. If accepted afterwards then it’s almost an immediate deposit I think.
Sucks that it's non-refundable, I have an interview on Jan 9th :(

This is my first interview and I will not have a car... do they provide spaces for a small bag?

Do you guys mind sharing your stats? Also region?
I'm from New England, interested in rural medicine. 3.2 ug gps, 3.7 postbac, 504 MCAT (126s), 2 years full-time research with 4 publications.

I got an interview invite! I received it September 4th. I submitted my application August 1st and it was completed on August 6th. I'm so excited and happy, this is my first interview to medical school!

Reactions: 5 users
Just cancelled my interview here, hope it goes to one of you all!

Ugh, so they sent me a secondary and after I submit it they say I need a LOR from a physician. I have 3 from professors. Does anybody know if they will still look at my application?

Ugh, so they sent me a secondary and after I submit it they say I need a LOR from a physician. I have 3 from professors. Does anybody know if they will still look at my application?

That happened to me a few years ago. They did not interview me without a physician letter. When I talked to them about it, they told me that a teacher with an MD / DO degree would suffice. If that isn’t an option for you, try to shadow a physician before the cycle closes and see if they would be willing to submit a letter for you.

That happened to me a few years ago. They did not interview me without a physician letter. When I talked to them about it, they told me that a teacher with an MD / DO degree would suffice. If that isn’t an option for you, try to shadow a physician before the cycle closes and see if they would be willing to submit a letter for you.

Ah, that sucks. Thanks for the info.

Called WCUCOM for my application status post interview...had a very nice talk with Dr. Weir and gave me the good news of an acceptance!! Interviewed on the 9th. I was very impressed with what this school has to offer and it is definitely a school I can see myself going to!

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's a weird question, but did you guys indent paragraphs in your essay?

Anyone interviewing 09/23 want to meet up the night before?