2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It might have already been asked/answered, but curious if AT-SOMA is sending out II without MCAT scores? Anyone receive one w/o MCAT this cycle? Their website says preferred but not required so just curious what that exactly means. Thanks!

Also, they said they prefer to see a score, but not required. So, if you dont have a score on file, it shouldnt hurt you.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, they said they prefer to see a score, but not required. So, if you dont have a score on file, it shouldnt hurt you.

Ok thanks. The thing is I DO have scores on file but they are very low.. so wondering if what their website says means they are blinding themselves To MCAT scores?

Ok thanks. The thing is I DO have scores on file but they are very low.. so wondering if what their website says means they are blinding themselves To MCAT scores?
Im in the same boat as you, but pretty sure they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any M3 or above able to speak on how rotations work at this school? How plentiful are spots? Is it a lotto? Do you have to set up your own rotations?

Any M3 or above able to speak on how rotations work at this school? How plentiful are spots? Is it a lotto? Do you have to set up your own rotations?

I interviewed here. You spend one year in Mesa and three years in location that is selected based off of a rank list. Once accepted, you’re given the ability to rank all of your locations (there’s 10 or so). Those accepted earlier have the best chance of getting your preferred location.
No you don’t find your own rotations.

On the website, it says we need one letter from a physician we shadowed.

I have a letter from a physician (MD) that I worked for as a medical assistant. Will that be okay? Did anyone else submit a letter from a physician that they worked for?

1600031774462.png

I have a letter from a physician (MD) that I worked for as a medical assistant. Will that be okay? Did anyone else submit a letter from a physician that they worked for?

View attachment 318261

I submitted an MD letter from a physician I scribe for and got an II

View attachment 318261
Yes, it's fine. I double checked with AT Still about this a few months ago. They said they'd accept letters from physicians (MD or DO) even if you don't have 20+ hours of shadowing. They understand the challenge applicants are facing with getting shadowing and clinical exposure due to Covid-19, and are trying to accommodate accordingly.

Just received an email saying my application got put on hold, any hope for them to reconsider and get an II from them?

Just received an email saying my application got put on hold, any hope for them to reconsider and get an II from them?
I was previously put on hold a few years ago and eventually did not hear back until late spring with the rejection, but others who were put on hold did come off at varying time points of the cycle with an II. Your chances at an II are non-zero, but they have gone down. You are likely a borderline candidate in their eyes and so they will revisit your application at a future date and depending on need may / may not offer you an II. Perhaps send them a non-academic update letter in a month or so letting them know what you've been up to since submitting your secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
I was previously put on hold a few years ago and eventually did not hear back until late spring with the rejection, but others who were put on hold did come off at varying time points of the cycle with an II. Your chances at an II are non-zero, but they have gone down. You are likely a borderline candidate in their eyes and so they will revisit your application at a future date and depending on need may / may not offer you an II. Perhaps send them a non-academic update letter in a month or so letting them know what you've been up to since submitting your secondary.
Thank you very much! This actually made me feel a bit better regardless of my chances going down.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was placed on hold too but for my MCAT but since they changed their system to not require an MCAT they moved my application to complete and it has been sitting there since then lmao

I was placed on hold too but for my MCAT but since they changed their system to not require an MCAT they moved my application to complete and it has been sitting there since then lmao
Unfortunately, my hold came after all the other things were marked as complete and my late MCAT verified/submitted already. I think the biggest bummer is that one of my LoRs came from an ATSU alumnus.

Unfortunately, my hold came after all the other things were marked as complete and my late MCAT verified/submitted already. I think the biggest bummer is that one of my LoRs came from an ATSU alumnus.

Haha regardless we will end up in the same wait pile

Damn. its been all silent for me since 7/29...... do they do silent R's or.....?

Damn. its been all silent for me since 7/29...... do they do silent R's or.....?

There were a few people earlier in the thread that received the R so I don't think they do silent rejection but probably keep us low stats people as a potential backup to fill the void once higher stats get into their top choices.

I was complete 8/18, stats are above their average, still haven't heard anything

I was complete 8/18, stats are above their average, still haven't heard anything

I was complete 8/4 and got an II last week, so assuming they are going in chronological order, you should hear back soon! Good luck!

Prepping for my interview in a few weeks... any tips on anything from anybody who has recently;y interviewed? Is it a one on one open file?

Prepping for my interview in a few weeks... any tips on anything from anybody who has recently;y interviewed? Is it a one on one open file?
Honestly just have fun with it. Be yourself. Out of interviews I’ve had from failed cycles *cries* and the ones I’ve had this cycle, this was one of my favorite because I enjoyed my interactions with everyone. Very easy to be myself so I would recommend the same. Just do the usual studying on yourself, osteopathy, and reflect on who you are. I’m sure you’ll do fine!

Honestly just have fun with it. Be yourself. Out of interviews I’ve had from failed cycles *cries* and the ones I’ve had this cycle, this was one of my favorite because I enjoyed my interactions with everyone. Very easy to be myself so I would recommend the same. Just do the usual studying on yourself, osteopathy, and reflect on who you are. I’m sure you’ll do fine!
Thank you!!

Has anyone been accepted yet?

I was in the first interview group and have not heard anything yet. It will be 3 weeks this Wednesday so hoping for news soon!

Are there any current ATSU students willing to message me and answer some questions I have about the school?

Yes, it's fine. I double checked with AT Still about this a few months ago. They said they'd accept letters from physicians (MD or DO) even if you don't have 20+ hours of shadowing. They understand the challenge applicants are facing with getting shadowing and clinical exposure due to Covid-19, and are trying to accommodate accordingly.
Are they also reviewing additional letters of recommendation submitted through AACOMAS or just the two that we stated in the secondary app?

Its been two weeks since submitting my secondary and I still have red exclamation marks for fee paid and submission. Anyone know if you get a complete email once these are checked? How long did that take?

Are they also reviewing additional letters of recommendation submitted through AACOMAS or just the two that we stated in the secondary app?
I am not sure. I had 4 letters sent to AACOMAS.

That's a good question. I didn't check with AT Still about this but I have called other schools about how letters of recommendation are handled, and they said they will evaluate only the letters that are required even if you have more than the required minimum. If you have 2 physician letters or 2 employer-based letters, perhaps they'd look at all of them. I'm not totally sure though.

Just got the complete email now. About how long from completion did people start hearing of II or hold or R? Just curious

Just got the complete email now. About how long from completion did people start hearing of II or hold or R? Just curious
I got an interview about 5-6 weeks after I was complete. But it's probably different for everyone so be patient! lol

took me 3 weeks to get the complete email, since then I'm just sitting silently on the complete stockpile for nearly 2 weeks now haha

took me 3 weeks to get the complete email, since then I'm just sitting silently on the complete stockpile for nearly 2 weeks now haha
Weird... for some reason I submitted my secondary this morning and got the complete email this afternoon. so maybe that's good news idk lol

At this point in the cycle is it still worth submitting? I was rejected after submitting my primary in July for not meeting the GPA requirement, but a summer class put me back in the running and just got the secondary. I've already got low stats working against me and figured without the early start it might not be worth the money

At this point in the cycle is it still worth submitting? I was rejected after submitting my primary in July for not meeting the GPA requirement, but a summer class put me back in the running and just got the secondary. I've already got low stats working against me and figured without the early start it might not be worth the money
I would just apply assuming you actually want to attend here. You definitely aren't early but by no means are you too late. I remember ATSU Adcoms told me back in May that as long as you are complete by mid/late September you're not late.

For those of you with IIs, did you email the confidentiality agreement back to the admissions email?

For those of you with IIs, did you email the confidentiality agreement back to the admissions email?

Is the agreement emailed to you? My interview is scheduled for early Oct. but I have not received any follow-up emails after the II.

Is the agreement emailed to you? My interview is scheduled for early Oct. but I have not received any follow-up emails after the II.
I think they will email it you a week or so before your interview. Thats when I got mine

They said we’d likely hear back 2-4 weeks after interviewing and it’s been 3 weeks today since the first group went! It’s getting down to crunch time excited to start seeing those A’s roll in!

They said we’d likely hear back 2-4 weeks after interviewing and it’s been 3 weeks today since the first group went! It’s getting down to crunch time excited to start seeing those A’s roll in!
Ugh I was in the second week of interviews and it is all I can think about!!! They told us 3-4 so maybe that means it has to be next week??? Im just finding different ways to build my anxiety lol