2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, so I'm in a bind and I have a question I was hoping someone can answer for me. Are matriculation agreements binding? Like do I have to attend the school and start in 2021 if I signed the agreement or can I still withdraw/defer because of unforeseen circumstances?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I'm in a bind and I have a question I was hoping someone can answer for me. Are matriculation agreements binding? Like do I have to attend the school and start in 2021 if I signed the agreement or can I still withdraw/defer because of unforeseen circumstances?
You can withdraw. You'll lose the 2K, but you don't HAVE to go here. Each school will have different rules about deferral. Why are you walking away? What happened?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Well, someone in my family was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness and I got accepted to a school which is 35 mins from home so I'd like to stay closer to home in case of emergencies. So if I couldn't walk away, I planned to defer a year and attend next year if possible...
You can withdraw. You'll lose the 2K, but you don't HAVE to go here. Each school will have different rules about deferral. Why are you walking away? What happened?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice. Well, someone in my family was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness and I got accepted to a school which is 35 mins from home so I'd like to stay closer to home in case of emergencies. So if I couldn't walk away, I planned to defer a year and attend next year if possible...
No, you do lose the money, sadly, but you can definitely still go to a different school. Congratulations on the other acceptance. Sending prayers for you and family. May you and your family find peace in this difficult time.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! Good luck to all that are applying this cycle! I am an OMS 2 at ARCOM and I am an Ambassador for the school! Please feel free to ask any questions regarding applications, student lifestyle, and experiences, housing, or any details you might be wondering about the school. I hope to see you guys here at interviews or visiting as future student doctors!
Hi I am going to be a first year next year and was wondering what off campus housing options most students lived in? Any recommendations for 1 and 2 BR housing/apartments?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I am going to be a first year next year and was wondering what off campus housing options most students lived in? Any recommendations for 1 and 2 BR housing/apartments?

+1

Need something for me, my wife, our two dogs, and maybe a baby soon...

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
A good number of students live at The Reserve! It’s about 5 minutes away from campus. I love living there.

First time poster on this forum, here we go.

I sent in my primary on November 7th, secondary on November 15th, and now I received an Email that an interview invite is coming. I'm extremely excited and wondering how warranted this excitement is. Do I have a real shot at getting in here?

I don't know how competitive I am, my CARS are 70+ percentile, so is my biology, but my Psychology is 123 and my chemistry was average. (501) (OOS) I've been working with my body instead of brain for a long time and my extra circulars in regards to healthcare were average at best.
I was accepted with a 502:)

Interviewed 12/15, accepted today just now!

Secondary received 12/3
Secondary submitted 12/5
Interview 12/15
Accepted 12/17

Stats-uGpa 3.0, sGpa 3.0, masters GPA 3.56, MCAT 508

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: After talking to admissions and a few emails that actually told me I wasn't going to be moving forward, I was able to receive a secondary application after telling more of my story.

You will more than likely receive an II then. Congrats on getting your voice heard! Continue being yourself and good luck!

A good number of students live at The Reserve! It’s about 5 minutes away from campus. I love living there.

The Reserve is good overall. 2 br is $750 which includes water. 1 br is closer to $1k.

Many students live in the on-campus housing at either The Residents (2 br $950/ 1 br $1200) or The Village. The Village is newer and has stores beneath the units. I believe The Village is more expensive than the rates I just listed - please correct me if I am mistaken. You can apply for on-campus housing at that link.

One thing that annoyed a lot of the Class of 2024 was that the college changed the housing deposit from ~$350 to $800+ after students had already paid it. This is a small detail but I figured it was worth mentioning. I haven't heard anything negative otherwise.

For other off-campus housing, I have friends who lived in rented houses. They are definitely paying less than any of the above options. Truthfully, you may think "oh, $750 isn't bad for a 2 br if you wanted to live in it by yourself!" You are correct, but I recommend getting a roommate 1st year if you can. It's nice to have the support system. Plus, you might get lonely living on your own but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, don't let Cox bully you into their internet. I'm not some internet service provider shill, but AT&T truly has better prices. You can get 1Gb fiber with ATT for $49.99. I think their prices go down to like $39.99 for 300Mb. Cox charges $49.99 for only 150Mb.

Last edited:
The Reserve is good overall. 2 br is $750 which includes water. 1 br is closer to $1k.

Many students live in the on-campus housing at either The Residents (2 br $950/ 1 br $1200) or The Village. The Village is newer and has stores beneath the units. I believe The Village is more expensive than the rates I just listed - please correct me if I am mistaken. You can apply for on-campus housing at that link.

One thing that annoyed a lot of the Class of 2024 was that the college changed the housing deposit from ~$350 to $800+ after students had already paid it. This is a small detail but I figured it was worth mentioning. I haven't heard anything negative otherwise.

For other off-campus housing, I have friends who lived in rented houses. They are definitely paying less than any of the above options. Truthfully, you may think "oh, $750 isn't bad for a 2 br if you wanted to live in it by yourself!" You are correct, but I recommend getting a roommate 1st year if you can. It's nice to have the support system. Plus, you might get lonely living on your own but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, don't let Cox bully you into their internet. I'm not some internet service provider shill, but AT&T truly has better prices. You can get 1Gb fiber with ATT for $49.99. I think their prices go down to like $39.99 for 300Mb. Cox charges $49.99 for only 150Mb.

Wouldn't the one bedroom be cheaper? Or is it assuming you would get the roommate?

Wouldn't the one bedroom be cheaper? Or is it assuming you would get the roommate?
You can get a 2 br all to yourself for the listed price. If you had a roommate, each of you would pay half of the listed price. So, if you plan to live by yourself, the 2 br is cheaper.

+1

Need something for me, my wife, our two dogs, and maybe a baby soon...
My family and I bought a house in Greenwood. About 15 minutes from campus. Amazing town. It’s nice to consider school a full time job and be there until 5 and then I’m home with wife and kids and not worrying about anything else. Our monthly payment is only 850 (plus utilities, so less than 1k/month) for 3 bedroom and a nice yard. I highly recommend Greenwood. Plus, we need more friends in that town anyway 😜

My family and I bought a house in Greenwood. About 15 minutes from campus. Amazing town. It’s nice to consider school a full time job and be there until 5 and then I’m home with wife and kids and not worrying about anything else. Our monthly payment is only 850 (plus utilities, so less than 1k/month) for 3 bedroom and a nice yard. I highly recommend Greenwood. Plus, we need more friends in that town anyway 😜
My husband and I were thinking of buying if we end up in Fort Smith. I’m a little apprehensive to think about rotations that are farther away/what to do with it in a few years during residency...

but it’s just so much more cost effective and we’re tired of renting.

Hey everyone! Good luck to all that are applying this cycle! I am an OMS 2 at ARCOM and I am an Ambassador for the school! Please feel free to ask any questions regarding applications, student lifestyle, and experiences, housing, or any details you might be wondering about the school. I hope to see you guys here at interviews or visiting as future student doctors!
Hi! Thank you for doing this. I have a few questions.

1. What are some of the resources that ARCOM provides to prepare you for boards? Qbanks? discounts?
2. How much time is set aside for dedicated study?
3. Do they give you information to help you decide if the rotation site is the best fit for you? (I am interested in pediatrics at the moment)
4. Do they offer practice exams before you can sit for boards?
5. Do they provide you with laptops or you gotta buy it yourself?

Thank you so much!

Hi! Thank you for doing this. I have a few questions.

1. What are some of the resources that ARCOM provides to prepare you for boards? Qbanks? discounts?
2. How much time is set aside for dedicated study?
3. Do they give you information to help you decide if the rotation site is the best fit for you? (I am interested in pediatrics at the moment)
4. Do they offer practice exams before you can sit for boards?
5. Do they provide you with laptops or you gotta buy it yourself?

Thank you so much!
1) They provide Kaplan Qbank and books and COMBANK. There's no specific discount for other resources from the school, but your class government can work to get group discounts from those other companies if need be. My class president got us group discounts for sketchy, UWorld, Comquest ect...
2) You'll get done with finals by mid April of second year, and you will start rotations first week of July, so give or take 2 months and a half +/- 1 week.
3) You will have a Hospital day where all the Hospitals will send representatives on campus to talk to students about their sites. You can use that day to ask lots of questions. If you need more info, you can always reach to upperclassmen that are doing rotations at the Hospitals you're interested in, or even better look over their websites.
4) Yes, You will take a series of practice exams throughout 2nd year (about 3 or 4). All of them offered by either Kaplan or COMBANK. Then you will also have to pass COMSAE (practice COMLEX exam offered by the NBOME) before you're allowed to sit for COMLEX.
5) No, they don't provide a laptop, but money for a laptop is factored into the cost of attendance, so you'll get the loan money and you can buy it yourself.

Last edited:
1) They provide Kaplan Qbank and books and COMBANK. There's no specific discount for other resources from the school, but your class government can work to get group discounts from those other companies if need be. My class president got us group discounts for sketchy, UWorld, Comquest ect...
2) You'll get done with finals by mid April of second year, and you will start rotations first week of July, so give or take 2 months and a half +/- 1 week.
3) You will have a Hospital day where all the Hospitals will send representatives on campus to talk to students about their sites. You can use that day to ask lots of questions. If you need more info, you can always reach to upperclassmen that are doing rotations at the Hospitals you're interested in, or even better look over their websites.
4) Yes, You will take a series of practice exams throughout 2nd year (about 3 or 4). All of them offered by either Kaplan or COMBANK. Then you will also have to pass COMSAE (practice COMLEX exam offered by the NBOME) before you're allowed to sit for COMLEX.
5) No, they don't provide a laptop, but money for a laptop is factored into the cost of attendance, so you'll get the loan money and you can buy it yourself.
Thank you for your detailed answer!! Did you think that Kaplan qbank was useful? Do the schools support students taking both USMLE and COMLEX for those who are interested in competitive specialty? Also, have you heard anything regarding the Links apartment complexes?

What kind of Laptop do we need for medical school? Any recommendations? What other expenses do we have to pay-out-of pocket before beginning medical school?
Thanks for the insight

My husband and I were thinking of buying if we end up in Fort Smith. I’m a little apprehensive to think about rotations that are farther away/what to do with it in a few years during residency...

but it’s just so much more cost effective and we’re tired of renting.

Thank you for your detailed answer!! Did you think that Kaplan qbank was useful? Do the schools support students taking both USMLE and COMLEX for those who are interested in competitive specialty? Also, have you heard anything regarding the Links apartment complexes?
Different question Banks will have different styles and different difficulty levels, and you will find eventually that you like one more than the others, and that's OK, but I don't think it's about which one people thought was more useful because I think doing any type of questions is useful to you, easy or not. For me Uworld was the one I felt that I learned from the best and it was also the hardest, but I would definitely finish at least one of those other Qbanks before even touching Uworld.

I haven't heard much about the Links. I know more about the Reserve, the Haven, and on campus housing.

Last edited:
What kind of Laptop do we need for medical school? Any recommendations? What other expenses do we have to pay-out-of pocket before beginning medical school?
Thanks for the insight
Laptop, books if you want physical copies, rent, food, and other living expenses. For Laptop, you need a good and fast one because you'll use it not only for school but that's also what you'll use to take your exams. I recommend Apple laptops, or a Microsoft surface if you prefer windows. I know they're expensive, but it's worth it.

Hi all! I was accepted last week followed by an email saying I would receive student credentials to make my matriculation deposit (due by 1/15 I think, but feel free to correct me). Haven't received any of this info yet and my emails to Admissions are getting OOO auto-responses... time to freak out??

Hey everyone, I am a part of the Class of 2025. I have a 2 bedroom apartment and I am looking to have someone rent out the second bedroom. It's located 5 minutes from ARCOM. I am a male but I am open to living with either sex. If you're interested or know someone who may be interested, DM me! Lease lasts thru mid July.

For living on campus, I know that it is dog friendly under 20lbs... my dog would likely only be there part time at most. My spouse will likely live a couple hours away for school and have her most of the time.

Are they super strict on rules for dogs? I’m not trying to go through the hassle if she’d only be there occasionally.

Hey everyone, I recently got accepted to ARCOM and NYITCOM (Arkansas Campus). However, I am having trouble picking between the two. Do any of you guys have any advice?

Hey everyone, I recently got accepted to ARCOM and NYITCOM (Arkansas Campus). However, I am having trouble picking between the two. Do any of you guys have any advice?

Personally I’m a big fan of pros and cons lists including tuition + COL, environment, school specifics such as curriculum grading, resources, close to home if that’s a priority. However, I did get an II from NYITCOM and denied it because I favored ARCOM. My reasons: the tuition is less IIRC, Fort Smith and it’s surrounding areas have better job opportunities for my SO, the outdoors is a huge stress reliever for me and ARCOM is in a prettier part of Arkansas imo, and honestly seeing the ARCOM campus in person had a major part in my decision and I knew I wasn’t going to have that opportunity when interviewing with NYITCOM. I know people that go to both and both are fantastic schools. I think it comes down to which one you vibe with more. Regardless, congrats on the acceptances dude!!!

Check this out

I have withdrawn my acceptance to this school. Hopefully it goes to someone else here! Good luck guys!

How many days after the secondary did you get the interview invite?

I submitted my DO Waiver right before NYE and haven't heard anything still.

I was planning to go up there after NYE to see the housing and they said that campus was pretty much closed down until Monday and I bet they’re playing a bit of catch up now, so I wouldn’t sweat it too much!

Personally I’m a big fan of pros and cons lists including tuition + COL, environment, school specifics such as curriculum grading, resources, close to home if that’s a priority. However, I did get an II from NYITCOM and denied it because I favored ARCOM. My reasons: the tuition is less IIRC, Fort Smith and it’s surrounding areas have better job opportunities for my SO, the outdoors is a huge stress reliever for me and ARCOM is in a prettier part of Arkansas imo, and honestly seeing the ARCOM campus in person had a major part in my decision and I knew I wasn’t going to have that opportunity when interviewing with NYITCOM. I know people that go to both and both are fantastic schools. I think it comes down to which one you vibe with more. Regardless, congrats on the acceptances dude!!!
Thank you! I appreciate your input. I also had good experiences with the ARCOM community during my interview and school visit. So, I'm leaning towards ARCOM too.

Check this out
Thank you that was really useful!

Has anyone applied to this school with the January MCAT? I did not apply because I was unable to take the exam previously and thought it would be way too late. Website says they accept the January MCAT, but I’m not sure if it is worth it to apply if they won’t look at you until scores are back in February...

Has anyone applied to this school with the January MCAT? I did not apply because I was unable to take the exam previously and thought it would be way too late. Website says they accept the January MCAT, but I’m not sure if it is worth it to apply if they won’t look at you until scores are back in February...
i clearly remember that the admissions said your chance of getting in will be low if you are not from nearby states and applying late.

not to discourage you, but even for the DO cycle, it is VERY late to apply. I would say that if you have a 500+ as well as good stats perhaps you could just apply and take the chance, but if you have no mcat score then I would wait until next cycle.

II today! How fast do you typically hear back after the interview?