2020-2021 Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! How fast do you typically hear back after the interview?
I interviewed on a tuesday and got the call on Thursday. So its anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was interviewed in August and was told by the ARCOM CEO that last year's class was full by December and no one unenrolled; therefore, none of the waitlisted applicants were accepted.
That is not a true statement.

Reactions: 1 users
I was interviewed in August and was told by the ARCOM CEO that last year's class was full by December and no one unenrolled; therefore, none of the waitlisted applicants were accepted.
You misunderstood what he meant. He meant that most accepted students kept their seats and decided to attend ARCOM. There is definitely going to be a movement in the WL even in top schools. Many people have multiple As especially this cycle because people applied to a greater number of school since there is no travel cost for II!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For people that interviewed virtually, how did they structure things via zoom?

For people that interviewed virtually, how did they structure things via zoom?
There was an info session for like 30 mins, then you leave the main zoom and join the individual zoom where your interviewers log in for 30 mins, then you join the group zoom again for the continuation of the zoom session for about an hour/hour and half...

Reactions: 1 user
That is not a true statement.
I’m just stating what he told us back in August. Not saying whether this is true. He said the class was full by December 2019

Last edited:
No way are you serious? Why couldn't they tell us that?? I would've made plans to do make my application better immediately. Thats brutal to hear a year later.
This is what he told us when we interviewed back in August 2020. As I said previously, I obviously can’t confirm whether this is true. This was in regards to the applicants from 2019 specifically. He explicitly said that everyone who accepted a seat back in December 2019 kept their seats, and no one was accepted from the WL

You misunderstood what he meant. He meant that most accepted students kept their seats and decided to attend ARCOM. There is definitely going to be a movement in the WL even in top schools. Many people have multiple As especially this cycle because people applied to a greater number of school since there is no travel cost for II!
No, he said that the class was full by December, this was in regards to the pool of applicants from 2019. He said that no one was accepted off the WL. Just sharing what he told us back when I interviewed last August. Obviously this doesn’t mean it applies for this cycle, and I can’t confirm whether what he said was true. Just sharing what he told us.

I’m just stating what he told us back in August. Not saying whether this is true. He said the class was full by December 2019
Last year the class was full by December 2019, however, people forfeited their deposits and people were accepted off of the waitlist. I can confirm that it is a false statement. Checking last year’s thread further proves it’s a false statement.

There was an info session for like 30 mins, then you leave the main zoom and join the individual zoom where your interviewers log in for 30 mins, then you join the group zoom again for the continuation of the zoom session for about an hour/hour and half.
Oo ok thank you!

If you haven’t received a secondary at this point, is it pretty safe to say it’s a no go?

If you haven’t received a secondary at this point, is it pretty safe to say it’s a no go?
I don’t think so. I know the primary deadline isn’t until 3/1/21 and I know they review applications weekly. Could be a chance.

I don’t think so. I know the primary deadline isn’t until 3/1/21 and I know they review applications weekly. Could be a chance.
Okay, thank you! They sent me the secondary waitlist email” we will continue to review your application” so just holding our hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you! They sent me the secondary waitlist email” we will continue to review your application” so just holding our hope!
I sent my primary in september, I got a soft rejection before the secondary, they emailed me inviting me to do the secondary last week and i got the interview invite today for next week! Definitely still a chance.

• Love
I sent my primary in september, I got a soft rejection before the secondary, they emailed me inviting me to do the secondary last week and i got the interview invite today for next week! Definitely still a chance.
Did you happen to update them or send a letter of interest to get off the pre II hold?

They also sent me a "no secondary right now" email in October I believe then got a secondary and II this past month! Don't lose hope :)

Hey that’s great!! This is good to hear. 👍🏻

I have an interview coming up here and I am quite nervous... I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice... Did anyone get asked questions about the pandemic? and I know this is a closed file interview but do they have access to your gpa and mcat? is it a bad idea to bring up either your gpa or mcat esp if it's not that great and you have an explanation behind it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated, I am just really nervous.... thank you guys!!

I have an interview coming up here and I am quite nervous... I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice... Did anyone get asked questions about the pandemic? and I know this is a closed file interview but do they have access to your gpa and mcat? is it a bad idea to bring up either your gpa or mcat esp if it's not that great and you have an explanation behind it? Any assistance is greatly appreciated, I am just really nervous.... thank you guys!!

Dont bring it up unless your interviewers specifically ask you, its closed folder interview, they dont have anything on you.

it's a closed file interview so they really don't know much about you other than your name. If it's something you don't want shared then leave it out of conversation. Try to relax and have a fun interview day. ARCOM was my first interview of many this cycle and definitely my favorite because of how warm and welcoming everyone was and also just how the day generally went. Hope that's helpful & best of luck!

I was not asked about the pandemic. They didn’t know my gpa/mcat but I told them because it was relevant to the conversation and one asked. I have some rough patches and upward trends so I was prepared to discuss it. What lead to this conversation? The question “let’s say you get into Med school and you fail your first exam. After you cry and sulk, what do you do?” I was just super honest and was like “hey I’ve been there!” And went on to talk about how I’ve struggled/overcome tough coursework but still acknowledged that I expect medical school to be more rigorous than what I’ve done. It was kind of terrifying but it was honest and it ended up working out in my favor. Failing is just part of the learning process and struggles make you stronger. You’re going to do great! They invited you because they know you’re capable.

I was not asked about the pandemic. They didn’t know my gpa/mcat but I told them because it was relevant to the conversation and one asked. I have some rough patches and upward trends so I was prepared to discuss it. What lead to this conversation? The question “let’s say you get into Med school and you fail your first exam. After you cry and sulk, what do you do?” I was just super honest and was like “hey I’ve been there!” And went on to talk about how I’ve struggled/overcome tough coursework but still acknowledged that I expect medical school to be more rigorous than what I’ve done. It was kind of terrifying but it was honest and it ended up working out in my favor. Failing is just part of the learning process and struggles make you stronger. You’re going to do great! They invited you because they know you’re capable.

Also, I get super nervous when I talk in front of groups of people (even though it was just 2) and I was shaking and stuttering the entire time so don’t worry, they’re super nice :)

The people who interviewed me did not have a list of questions to ask. The conversation was very organic and lasted around a half hour. If someone brings up a question about the pandemic, I would also assume that it would come up organically. In order to prepare, I would practice answers to popular questions such as "Why medicine? Why not nursing? What is your biggest failure? Tell me a little bit about yourself. What are your hobbies?" Practice your answers out loud. If you stutter, start over. Keep practicing until you perfect your answers. I understand if some people oppose this, but this helped me personally as someone who suffers from anxiety and panic attacks. It also helped me to practice in front of a mirror. In regards to the GPA/MCAT question, I was previously given very helpful advice, being "No one will know anything bad about you unless you bring it up." This holds true in regards to a closed file. During my interview, I was asked about my biggest failure, which was not studying enough during college because I was overconfident. I explained how I got a 2.1 GPA in orgo but retook the class and got a 4.0. I was able to flip the conversation into a positive outcome. If you are unable to do this, then don't bring it up. A half hour conversation is actually quite fast, especially if you're talking about something you're passionate about. Remember, your interviewers aren't out to get you. They genuinely want to know you as a person. If you get nervous during the interview, take a deep breath. You got this! Let me know if you need anymore help.

Reactions: 3 users

I interviewed here in October and had a post-interview rejection. I think getting that R was tough for a few reasons (using vacation time and driving 16+ hours for an interview in the middle of pandemic being one). But I know that the reason for an R versus a WL was my interview.

The interview is like a dance and we both wanted to lead but we both had two left feet and the song kept cutting out. I was nervous and came out of the gate all wrong. That was on me. But I recognized it, took a breathe, and recovered. My interviewer seemed to have no interest in our conversation and spoke with the community member more than me. It was off-putting. Still, in these cases, even if I called the school and said "wtf was that", they would side with the interviewer. I think my situation was a mix of my nervousness and his apathy. Regardless, the R will always fall on my shoulders.

I don't tell this story to scare you. On the contrary, I tell you to provide insight on possible events. All of us that interviewed had different experiences. Take them all, the good and the bad, and prepare based on the feedback provided here. The more you know, the more you plan for, the better your chances.

Good luck. I am rooting hard for you!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Ahhhh thank you so much- all of you wonderful people!!! All of you are such kind people and I appreciate your advice and I truly feel so much better! Hoping for the best and good luck to all of you!!!

When do we receive our loans? I submitted fafsa a long time ago and its been silent (except that initial confirmation that the app was received).
Also, will fafsa cover the entire estimated $80K?

When do we receive our loans? I submitted fafsa a long time ago and its been silent (except that initial confirmation that the app was received).
I believe med schools finalize their student lists at the end of April, so I’d assume that loans will be sent between June and July. I submitted my FAFSA and received an estimated approval for $20500

Loan dispersement occurs on the first Monday of school. So if the semester started on Friday 7/23, loans will be dispersed on 7/26. You’ll get more information about applying for the loans closer to May. You can choose to take out however much you need up to the cost of attendance.

They also sent me a "no secondary right now" email in October I believe then got a secondary and II this past month! Don't lose hope :)
How did you get the secondary? Did they just do it on their own, or did you update them? :)

How did you get the secondary? Did they just do it on their own, or did you update them? :)
To be honest, I didn't think they would invite me for an interview after receiving that initial email - so I didn't update them. I thought I was rejected until earlier last month haha So they definitely do go back and reread applications, and updating them would be a super good idea! Best of luck, and show interest!!

• Love
I have a few questions about ARCOM student life. Are there any OMS-III/IV that I can PM? Thanks

Waitlisted. Interviewed 1/29.

Keeping my fingers crossed for some movement!!

Stats: In-state, nontrad, cgpa 3.6, sgpa 3.6, 499 (balanced)

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well interviewed 1/
Waitlisted. Interviewed 1/29. Keeping my fingers crossed for some movement!!
I was waitlisted today and interviewed the same day

any idea when the first wave of movement will be ?

Did you happen to update them or send a letter of interest to get off the pre II hold?
I didn't! I called them after I received my soft rejection to ask for feedback, they told me my MCAT was 1 below their "sweet spot" but the rest of my application looked strong. From the phone call, I was under the impression to not hold my breath and they would only reach out if I updated my application, so I was surprised they sent me the secondary!

LOL. I got accepted in June. I'm class of 2024. This is completely not true.

sorry if this has been asked before Im a student at another school in the state but my wife is interested in applying here. Do you all think it is to late to submit an application? and does anyone know if the DO letter requirement still applies for this cycle?

sorry if this has been asked before Im a student at another school in the state but my wife is interested in applying here. Do you all think it is to late to submit an application? and does anyone know if the DO letter requirement still applies for this cycle?
I didn't submit my secondary until late february last year. It's not too late. I submitted my primary in October and got my secondary in January. If your wife has good stats it's probably not too late.

My interview is tomorrow, and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the interview format? I haven't been able to find any info on their website about it and I'm a little nervous! TIA :)

Loan dispersement occurs on the first Monday of school. So if the semester started on Friday 7/23, loans will be dispersed on 7/26. You’ll get more information about applying for the loans closer to May. You can choose to take out however much you need up to the cost of attendance.
I see tuition payment is due a couple of weeks before school starts. How much is this initial payment? How do people pay for it before they receive the loans from disbursement?

I see tuition payment is due a couple of weeks before school starts. How much is this initial payment? How do people pay for it before they receive the loans from disbursement?
If you receive loans, you do not have to pay tuition when it is due. The financial office will take it out of your loan disbursement once the loans are disbursed.

My interview is tomorrow, and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me the interview format? I haven't been able to find any info on their website about it and I'm a little nervous! TIA :)
Is it in-person?

Hey guys, has anyone been interviewed and/or accepted without taking the CASPer exam? I see it is highly recommended but not required so was just wondering

Has anyone received an official denial email? Do they send these types of emails or should you just assume you’ve been denied after April if you haven’t received an II by then?