2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I'm an incoming OMS-1 from Texas! I was wondering if any 3rd/4th years know any details on rotations in Texas? During interviews I was told that KCU does do rotations in Texas - but I didn't know how that works! Thanks!:)
They don't have any rotation sites in Texas, but you can set your own up if you have connections in Texas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the WL survey from KCU. Idk I want to withdraw but the only thing holding me back is potential scholarships (if offered anything). For accepted students, how much were you initially offered? Does KCU continue scholarship programs through the 4 years? If not, I’m just going to withdraw! (Other A is at ACOM)
I received a half-tuition scholarship. It varies based on student stats.

So just to confirm. If we are on the WL we are just collecting everything needed of us so that we can submit it to KCU if they do end up accepting us. We don't have to upload any of this ahead of time. I just don't want to pay money for the service if I don't even end up attending.

Reactions: 1 user
So just to confirm. If we are on the WL we are just collecting everything needed of us so that we can submit it to KCU if they do end up accepting us. We don't have to upload any of this ahead of time. I just don't want to pay money for the service if I don't even end up attending.
Yes. You don't need to pay anything until you get accepted and plan on attending.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by collecting everything needed? I’m wondering if I missed something lol

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by collecting everything needed? I’m wondering if I missed something lol
Basically I just went through the health form to make sure that I have the records for everything. This way if I get off the WL I just have to actually upload everything to the portal or whatever, but I would presumably be uploading things after their May 1st deadline. I think that makes sense based on the WL email they sent out earlier this week.

You don't need to pay for anything yet, but it is a good idea to have all of your health records/vaccinations/etc. filled out and ready to go, maybe make a list of potential apartments, and take care of any other details that you can. This way you are prepared in case you do get pulled off the waitlist! You never know when you could potentially be pulled off.
Basically I just went through the health form to make sure that I have the records for everything. This way if I get off the WL I just have to actually upload everything to the portal or whatever, but I would presumably be uploading things after their May 1st deadline. I think that makes sense based on the WL email they sent out earlier this week.

Ahhh got it. Smart plan ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
This matriculation paper work is harder than the MCAT :greedy::arghh:

Are there any online tours for KCU? I am going to tour the school in mid-May but want to get an idea of how it is before I go.

Last edited:
Can you tour the school (Joplin campus) without officially booking a campus tour? (curious because I'm out of state and the tour dates don't work with my schedule)
:(

When are we going to hear back from the leadership scholarship? I'm getting contradictory information.

Can you tour the school (Joplin campus) without officially booking a campus tour? (curious because I'm out of state and the tour dates don't work with my schedule)
:(
At this time, I believe they are only allowing tours if you’ve scheduled one through their workday portal (from the given dates).

Are there any good Powerlifting / Bodybuilding style gyms around campus? Not trying to get tiny in Med. school :rofl:

Are there any good Powerlifting / Bodybuilding style gyms around campus? Not trying to get tiny in Med. school :rofl:
theGYMKc (river market and crossroads locations) and onelife (power and light district) seem to be popular ones that are right downtown/near downtown

For those on the WL, how are you going about preparing the matriculation documents in case you get off the WL? Are you already going out and getting titers/immunizations done and having the doctor fill out the KCU paperwork OR do you just have your immunization records from the past handy? Also, does anyone know what the expedited deadline to submit all the health records is if you're accepted off the waitlist?
I'm on waitlist and I went and had my doctor fill out the form they gave me and order me the vaccine titers. Might as well get that out of the way in case, especially if you're on more than one WL.

Can any current 3rd year chime in with regard to how KCU has their clerkship years set up? Do you guys take the COMAT or NBME shelf exams?

Third year here. KCU has clinical coordinators that set up your third year Core clerkships with your input on 2-3 electives (not as many choices if you’re in an honors track). Regions will vary on types of Clerkships but they will try to have you do at least one rotation with residents.

We take the COMAT shelf exams. They are currently self-proctored due to Covid.

Reactions: 2 users
they're not reviewing the waitlisted applicants until mid to late May!

Do you mind if I ask where you heard this from? This seems later than previous years. (I’m a third year at KCU but know someone on the waitlist)

Do you mind if I ask where you heard this from? This seems later than previous years. (I’m a third year at KCU but know someone on the waitlist)
I emailed them directly to ask about their waitlist process and this is what I was told. They’re reviewing waitlisted applicants beginning mid to late May.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get their "accepted student welcome box" yet and wanna share what goods lie within?

They told me in an email that they're reviewing the waitlisted in mid-late May

So no one is a KCU student here from Canada? I had some questions about logistical concerns.

So no one is a KCU student here from Canada? I had some questions about logistical concerns.
You should try the school-specific threads for other years to get your question seen by more current students

Chances at KCUMB this cycle? 500-503 MCAT, 3.96 GPA, heavy research, some volunteering (meaningful experiences), leadership with external school orgs, has a doctorate in another field? Thanks in advance....

Chances at KCUMB this cycle? 500-503 MCAT, 3.96 GPA, heavy research, some volunteering (meaningful experiences), leadership with external school orgs, has a doctorate in another field? Thanks in advance....
If you mean for this cycle as in starting in 2021- I'd say save your money

Yes, you have a good chance. With all that it might be worth retaking the MCAT for a higher score cause you could probably get into a couple MD schools with the rest of your stats

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, you have a good chance. With all that it might be worth retaking the MCAT for a higher score cause you could probably get into a couple MD schools with the rest of your stats

I second this notion. If I had had that GPA, I would have fought tooth and nail for an MD acceptance. go all in on the MCAT and push it up around ~511 or so and, assuming all else is good with you application, you can avoid ever having to learn OMM!

DM me if you want to talk about MCAT prep. I took it several times and increased my score quite a bit (humblebrag much?).

Reactions: 3 users
I second this notion. If I had had that GPA, I would have fought tooth and nail for an MD acceptance. go all in on the MCAT and push it up around ~511 or so and, assuming all else is good with you application, you can avoid ever having to learn OMM!

DM me if you want to talk about MCAT prep. I took it several times and increased my score quite a bit (humblebrag much?).
Can I do you I am a multiple retake person