2020-2021 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who has done the group information session video give an overview of how it is conducted? Do you introduce yourself and give a fun fact? Are there any opportunities to ask questions? Are you being evaluated for how you conduct yourself and ask questions? How many people are in the session for August 7? Do we just go to Zoom and enter the 10 digit number they gave us to sign in 10 minutes before the appointment? What is appropriate attire for females?

Anybody who can give any information on the group information session would be appreciated!!!!

No introductions. There are opportunities to ask questions. I would assume that you’re being evaluated. I don’t know about 8/7 but there were about 20-24 people in my session. Yep, just enter the code right before your scheduled time (remember it’s EST). Most of the women in my group wore blouses with jackets.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No introductions. There are opportunities to ask questions. I would assume that you’re being evaluated. I don’t know about 8/7 but there were about 20-24 people in my session. Yep, just enter the code right before your scheduled time (remember it’s EST). Most of the women in my group wore blouses with jackets.
Where do you find the code? IDK that I have one...?

Where do you find the code? IDK that I have one...?
There should just be a link in the email. I didn't enter the meeting ID, I just followed the link. My link was in the reminder email that I was sent the Monday before my information session on Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm.. I got a reminder email from them but I don't see a link for a zoom, just an attachment with info about PBL.

did you sign up for the zoom session on the portal?
Ya, on the portal I can see the interview date scheduled. But the only emails I received were instructions for completing the recorded interview and then a reminder about tomorrow's zoom (without a link to the zoom).

Ya, on the portal I can see the interview date scheduled. But the only emails I received were instructions for completing the recorded interview and then a reminder about tomorrow's zoom (without a link to the zoom).
If the email didn't look like this then Id call or email and figure out whats up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.44.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.44.53 AM.png
    315.1 KB · Views: 155
Yikes, definitely didn't get that one.. I'll call them. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have done the virtual interview, what are some tips for preparing for the questions we will get?

Can someone who has done the informational zoom session for the Seton Hill campus explain the PBL demonstration?

any new elmira II? Seems like they are having way less interviews than SH/erie and only sent 1 wave out so far.

Can someone who has done the informational zoom session for the Seton Hill campus explain the PBL demonstration?
The facilitators do a good job explaining it before it starts. Just be open-minded about it. No need to stress, its not too formal

The facilitators do a good job explaining it before it starts. Just be open-minded about it. No need to stress, its not too formal
Did you actually go over a PBL example where students participated? If so, do you feel we could benefit from practicing PBL style problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still under review and my secondary was processed 6/22....

did you get this immediately after you signed up for the " interview" from the portal or you received it couple days before the session?

I got mine three days before the session.

For those who have done the virtual interview, what are some tips for preparing for the questions we will get?

If you read back through the thread several of us posted how we prepared and the types of questions we were asked. If you have any specific questions (apart from of course exactly what the questions are), feel free to DM me (that goes for anyone).

Did you actually go over a PBL example where students participated? If so, do you feel we could benefit from practicing PBL style problems?
During my session the interviewees were split into two separate PBL sessions and then we participated while the facilitator helped walk us through the problems. No need to practice in my opinion.

Does anyone want to share some stats so those of us who have not received interview invites yet can assess our chances a bit more?

Does anyone want to share some stats so those of us who have not received interview invites yet can assess our chances a bit more?
My stats are in my signature (I also had a 4.0 pbGPA with 25 credits). I submitted my secondary 6/16, received my II on 6/26, interviewed on 7/4, and went to the info session on 7/9 (Erie Campus). If you have any questions about ECs or anything else, feel free to message me.

My husband got an II from Elmira this morning!

Congrats! I just got done with an interview with Elmira. He's gonna love it! Be sure to bring questions because they set a lot of time aside for them

Congrats! I just got done with an interview with Elmira. He's gonna love it! Be sure to bring questions because they set a lot of time aside for them
Heyy! just finished the Elmira info session too! what did you think?

Heyy! just finished the Elmira info session too! what did you think?

My favorite part was the last 5 minutes when "Darth Vader" was speaking lol I was resigned just to let it happen hahahaha.

I like how they addressed the less popular aspects of the school (Dress code food and drink) and how they intend on focusing on primary care. So I have some food for thought. I'm a little worried about how I would do with PBL in a situation where I struggled and had no recourse. Honestly, I was looking forward to meeting my fellow premeds in person but I understand that isn't possible at this time.

I'm trying to fact check everything I remember them saying. So far so good. Looks like a good place overall. Dr. Terry seems like a reasonable person

Can anyone who has done the group information session video give an overview of how it is conducted? Do you introduce yourself and give a fun fact? Are there any opportunities to ask questions? Are you being evaluated for how you conduct yourself and ask questions? How many people are in the session for August 7? Do we just go to Zoom and enter the 10 digit number they gave us to sign in 10 minutes before the appointment? What is appropriate attire for females?
Anybody who can give any information on the group information session would be appreciated!!!!

Just finished Erie's 7/31 session (though they say we can sign up for Seton/Elmira?). 60ish people in our session so stark increase from previous interview sessions it seems. 45 minutes of talking about school itself followed by a 1 hour Q/A with the preclinical dean and 1 hour Q/A with 6 students (2 from LDP, 2 from PBL, 1 DSP, 1 PCSP). You don't need to introduce yourself/give fun facts or whatnot. You should look professional/ blouses/blazers though.

Is there a benefit of PBL vs DSP styles of learning if anyone knows?
How they described each pathway. Everyone initially starts with a few weeks of basic courses (anatomy) that are fundamental and will all join together. Then, it breaks down into the different pathways for coursework.

LDP- 4-8 week hours of lecture. You have a professor right in front of you to ask questions and it's most similar to the typical undergrad style. Quizzes occur about once a week, you take all subjects at once and professors are typically good at staggering.

DSP- you have objectives/set of chapters to read and then will meet with a faculty/group 1-2 times a week to discuss the objectives.Because of that, you're learning on your own/finding resources on your own which helps a lot in the clerkship years where you have to find your own information. They also have an easier time with filtering out what's necessary/ the "high yield" info since they do it from day one. The DSP student from our call was a 3rd year and he said during his time, they were given the LDP videos to utilize as needed(but isn't sure if its the same now)

PBL- you meet about 2x/week with a group of 8 students+ 1 faculty facilitator for 3 hours at a time. One person acts as a patient (facilitator usually), one as a physician, one as a scribe. It benefits in terms of clinical patient interaction that you do weekly and in having a support group through other students. You are also utilizing clinical data/ learning in the same setting as the clinical cases you'd see on USMLE/COMPLEX which promotes the same type of thinking.

PCSP: is a 3 year pathway where you start rotations in spring of your second year. You get a week off for boards and then go immediately back into rotations, but you also graduate a year early.Highly competitive with 12 students and you basically have little breaks (3 days vs. 2-3 weeks for summer and no winter break I believe). You can only match into family medicine or general internal medicine.You're also not allowed to pursue a fellowship/specialization for 5 years as to keep you in the primary care specialties.

Reactions: 3 users
My favorite part was the last 5 minutes when "Darth Vader" was speaking lol I was resigned just to let it happen hahahaha.

I like how they addressed the less popular aspects of the school (Dress code food and drink) and how they intend on focusing on primary care. So I have some food for thought. I'm a little worried about how I would do with PBL in a situation where I struggled and had no recourse. Honestly, I was looking forward to meeting my fellow premeds in person but I understand that isn't possible at this time.

I'm trying to fact check everything I remember them saying. So far so good. Looks like a good place overall. Dr. Terry seems like a reasonable person
I think we will realistically all struggle with something and need to build one another up by helping each other out. Someone in your PBL will be stronger where you are weak and vise-versa. If everyone works together we all succeed.

I totally agree. I honestly really liked the feel and the enthusiasm from the staff. Definitely hope I get accepted. The last 5 minutes was golden tbh.. lol

Undergrad: cGPA - 3.21, sGPA - 2.92
Graduate: cGPA - 3.73, sGPA - 3.73
Combined: cGPA - 3.32, sGPA - 3.16
MCAT: 508
Non-trad with clinical research career, decent ECs, strong commitment to rural family medicine reflected in personal statement.

*Had to edit this because apparently I can’t do math. Don’t tell the adcoms.

Last edited:

Congrats on getting that done! I'm sure you are so relieved. So do you actually run through a simulation of PBL during that time? What does that look like??

personal stats: MCAT 511, cGPA 3.62, sGPA 3.58. Going into my second gap year with decent ECs. Personal statement revolved around providing holistic care.
class stats(incoming class): MCAT 504, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5, nonsci 3.70.

Congrats on getting that done! I'm sure you are so relieved. So do you actually run through a simulation of PBL during that time? What does that look like??

Hahah thanks! We did not go through a simulation. Perhaps it was Erie that does the simulations but I'm ignorant beyond that. Our PBL session was mainly answering questions. I think this was fine as there were a lot of questions in that respect

Reactions: 2 users
Hahah thanks! We did not go through a simulation. Perhaps it was Erie that does the simulations but I'm ignorant beyond that. Our PBL session was mainly answering questions. I think this was fine as there were a lot of questions in that respect
We did a simulation at Seton Hill.

Just finished the info session, it was relaxing. I do get the vibe that they focus on primary care but certainly they do not force you into anything. They do want you to be happy and be able to match into whatever you desire.

2.99 sGPA and 2.99 cGPA, 506 MCAT and a lot of leadership/clinical hours/1 pub! honestly my stats are on the lower side but i think it was because it was holistic so don't lose hope!

Does anyone know if choosing to defer your decision notification until Nov 14 (compared to the Early Decision Program) sway their decision in regards to accepting you?

Does anyone know if choosing to defer your decision notification until Nov 14 (compared to the Early Decision Program) sway their decision in regards to accepting you?
I believe Severedbox53 answered that question very well when she stated the following:
If you opt for early decision they will let you know on or before sept. 30. Otherwise you will not hear the decision until Nov. 14th. They will review your app and make a decision (acceptance, waitlist, etc.) regardless of what you pick. Basically its meant to save you money since you have to put a $1500 deposit within 30 days of an acceptance. Deferred decision lets you have a chance to interview elsewhere and hear back before putting money down.

Does anyone know if the early decision program is binding (as in- does it mean that if we are accepted we must say yes and withdraw from all other programs we are applying to?)

For the individuals who have completed both their virtual 5 question interview and group information session interview for Elmira, can you please tell us individuals who will be doing both the virtual 5 question interview and group information session interview next week what types of questions you were asked and how to prepare???

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Alright great! Were the hours presented in their time zone from 10 am-12 pm or your time zone?

For the individuals who have completed both their virtual 5 question interview and group information session interview for Elmira, can you please tell us individuals who will be doing both the virtual 5 question interview and group information session interview next week what types of questions you were asked and how to prepare???

Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!
If you look further back on the thread there are quite a few posts that discuss question types and preparation.

Does anyone know if the early decision program is binding (as in- does it mean that if we are accepted we must say yes and withdraw from all other programs we are applying to?)

I talked to a friend today who did the early decision program and then decided not to go to LECOM last year. The decision is not binding, however you will not get a refund of the $1500 you put down to save your seat if you pay it.

+1 want to know this.

Sure, I'd like to attend other interviews, but that's not why I want to put this off. I just know I legit will not be able to come up with the money that fast.