2020-2021 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG CONGRATS! IK how much you love MSU. You will do great wherever you end up :) did you get a call or email?
I got a call from Dr. Maurer ... It's just so close to the deadline, and another in-state school gave me a scholarship that makes the cost roughly the same and I have an apartment already ... ugh

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Off the WL around an hour ago!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Dear friends, it just happened for me.
I got in !!!
I’m in disbelief, shock, excitement. Thank you for support and kindness and rooting for me. I am rooting for all of you and can’t wait to have you as friends!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I got in !!!
I’m in disbelief, shock, excitement. Thank you for support and kindness and rooting for me. I am rooting for all of you and can’t wait to have you as friends!!
Been rooting for you!!! So happy it came true!! Congrats!!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I got in !!!
YES!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was like half asleep when Dr. Maurer called me 😂 . But WL gang its been a long time coming! We made it!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Just got off the WL, but Idk if I will be accepting or not
Congrats! been seeing you here in the thread as long as I have been. Really hoping to get off the waitlist too, MCAT retake studying has been pretty draining.

• Love
  • Care
I also got the call from Dr. Mauer earlier this morning as well! I'll most likely CTE here and withdraw my other acceptances.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Dr. Maurer left a voicemail about an hour ago saying that I’ve been accepted from the waitlist. I am in complete disbelief, this feels unreal!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
I just wanna say I'm SO HAPPY for the Waitlist gang that got pulled today. Like I know I don't know yall but I feel like I know yall and I just told my boyfriend how awesome this is! I pray I get pulled too but if I don't just know - yall getting in means the world to me to hear! Now go celebrate!

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
What's the EL campus like? I have an acceptance to a school in Miami and before interest the difference is 150k. Honestly the thought of another 4 years of Michigan weather is kind of depressing and I don't know how EL would compare to Miami. Thinking of just taking the cost difference, any thoughts?

What's the EL campus like? I have an acceptance to a school in Miami and before interest the difference is 150k. Honestly the thought of another 4 years of Michigan weather is kind of depressing and I don't know how EL would compare to Miami. Thinking of just taking the cost difference, any thoughts?
I can't comment on EL, but weather (and really any environmental) concerns are valid. Some people really strongly prefer warmer climates, and find that it's better for their mental health. I don't want to minimize that, but I also don't know your financial situation/comfort with loans. I think most people set a monetary difference (e.g., 100k, 75k, 50k) they would consider a non-issue when differentiating between schools. It's up to you what that limit is; I do think 150k is at the high end, if weather is the biggest differentiator.

Dr. Maurer left a voicemail about an hour ago saying that I’ve been accepted from the waitlist. I am in complete disbelief, this feels unreal!!
What area code did he call from? I get a lot of scam calls, so I just want to keep an eye out. ALSO CONGRATS!!!!

Anyone that got off the WL today get GR campus in the email?

Anyone that got off the WL today get GR campus in the email?
I recall that there was an email which said Grand Rapids is completely full when they sent campus assignments…
So I wouldn’t think so unfortunately…

Reactions: 1 user
What area code did he call from? I get a lot of scam calls, so I just want to keep an eye out. ALSO CONGRATS!!!!
My caller ID showed up as MI ST UNIV with the call being from Lansing, MI back in October. I have an iPhone so don’t know if that has anything to so with it. Earlier the same day I received an unknown caller call from East Lansing that turned out to be a telemarketer trying to give me a heart attack!

Fingers crossed for you!!

Finally withdrew my spot from the GR campus.

It was really hard to let this one go. Good luck y’all.

• Care
thank you for this!

Some other random questions for you

Which intersessions do you recommend? Which one to stay away from?

how early can one get involved in research? Tips on asking professors if we can help with a project?

also shadowing different specialties? Informally asking physicians if we can come to clinic for an hour? does this happen?

any tips for studying our first year? Day 1!
1. I'm not even sure the intersessions are all the same since I did them - pick ones you feel weak in or that you're behind in your self studies. It will give you time to then go over it w/ out feeling stressed you're not working on other things.

2. You can get involved with research as early or as late as you want. The office of research under Dr. Trottier will send out an email assessing interest and you'll await placement. You can pick your interests - unfortunately, they don't let anyone just walk up to a professor anymore. As stupid as that seems (and oh trust me, I get it), the professors had a string of really bad apples a number of years ago and put the kibash on that. If you have a particular professor, you can always try and ask through the research office. There are also some research focused student orgs I strongly encourage joining and being a part of. You're also required to do a research project 3rd and 4th year - if you spend the extra time at the beginning, you will probably have something publishable by the time you're done.

3. You can shadow, but you have to formally go through the college and they will set you up. They do limit you on the number of hours overall you get to do. Contact them when you're in. I wouldn't lose sleep over shadowing - you will get what you need.

4. Get Organized. Make a spreadsheet of all the Boards and Beyond (BnB) video topics arranged by organ system and topic so you know what you need to cover. I AM NOT suggesting you buy it at the get go unless you really want to, you should just use it as an example guide to see medical school's 10,000 foot view of content you will need to learn before step 1. No one at CHM will show you that view. Tackle that content with what ever resources you like be it BnB, school resources, or otherwise. Obviously BnB's "lesson plan" if you will is not all encompassing - fill it in with what you find in other resources like pathoma, sketchy, school topics, and first aid.

I appreciate your taking the time to write this out; it eases quite a few of my concerns with the curriculum. How many hours on average of required attendance time would you say you log every week (e.g., TBL, PBL, simulation labs, clinical time)? Do you feel this leaves ample opportunity for you to self-study as much as is necessary, and participate in research/EC's?
I won't lie, it's a lot - usually 25-35 hours a week. It was something we often complained about, especially during 2nd year. Hopefully it's better now. My schedule my first year was basically Monday and Friday afternoons off for self study. The rest of the time is basically filled with random hour-2hour blocks every now and again. You're always done by 5pm unless it's a class meeting day (which felt like all the time) and those end around 7-8. I have no idea how covid will affect this though. It's also been 2-3 years so maybe its changed a bit? Bottom line, you're a medical student - you can expect 60-80 hours of "work" a week depending on how efficient you are.

• Love
Just withdrew my application, good luck to the folks on the WL!
How did you withdraw your application? I have emailed admissions office twice. No response, called no picking. What the heck. Trying to withdraw my application

Anyone think there's still a chance for an IS person to get off the WL? T_T

Man, I hope I didn't submit my Letter of Intent too late (couple weeks ago).

Last edited:
Definitely. They seem to have already had higher than usual WL movement, and April 30th hasn't even passed yet.

Appreciate the support, but wasn't today (Apr 30th) the last day to withdraw multiple acceptances?

Appreciate the support, but wasn't today (Apr 30th) the last day to withdraw multiple acceptances?
I think today is the first day you can only have one acceptance if I read the AMCAS email correctly

but you definitely can still get off waitlist! Gonna send good vibes your way :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I think today is the first day you can only have one acceptance if I read the AMCAS email correctly

but you definitely can still get off waitlist! Gonna send good vibes your way :)

What actually happens if you're still holding on to multiple acceptances after today? lol

But thank you all so much, it's great to see good WL movement so early on, I really hope it continues. As a third-time reapplicant, literally nothing would make me happier.

• Care
What actually happens if you're still holding on to multiple acceptances after today? lol

But thank you all so much, it's great to see good WL movement so early on, I really hope it continues. As a third-time reapplicant, literally nothing would make me happier.

I think you still have a good chance for acceptance! If you look back at MSU CHM threads from previous years the WL movement has been after May 1. I think there was also a lot of movement one year mid May still as well. Totally rooting for you here!

• Care
I think you still have a good chance for acceptance! If you look back at MSU CHM threads from previous years the WL movement has been after May 1. I think there was also a lot of movement one year mid May still as well. Totally rooting for you here!

Thank you Poppy, and I'm so, sooo happy for you and your acceptance. Hopefully I'll be able to join you in the upcoming class.

The schools can see that they're holding multiple acceptances, and can rescind acceptance. I occasionally see stuff on here about how to play the system and continue holding acceptances, but it's highly unethical, and extremely risky.

I have the hugest respect for anyone reapplying, and am sorry you guys had to have this year as your reapplication year. I think there's a lot of hope still, and am rooting for you!

• Care

Honestly not sure… wouldn’t risk it though

good luck to you!!! 🍀

• Care
So if someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I'm feeling similar to blue lion where I'm worried about getting off the waitlist as an IS applicant. All this waitlist movement now is telling me that there might not be so much past today? I'm not sure if I am being pessimistic or not and just looking for ways to be worried.

Also congrats to all those who got accepted off the waitlist. The positivity and high spirits of those who I saw got off the waitlist makes so much sense to me. Im trying hard to stay positive but it becomes more and more challenging everyday. Send some positive vibes over to ya boy, God know I need it 😭.

• Care
Honestly not sure… wouldn’t risk it though

good luck to you!!! 🍀
The schools can see that they're holding multiple acceptances, and can rescind acceptance. I occasionally see stuff on here about how to play the system and continue holding acceptances, but it's highly unethical, and extremely risky.

I have the hugest respect for anyone reapplying, and am sorry you guys had to have this year as your reapplication year. I think there's a lot of hope still, and am rooting for you!

Y’all are the best. Really hoping there’s still a chance for me as an IS applicant, and also hoping I don’t wait too long and it’s just another two to three weeks as the current pattern has been going.

So if someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I'm feeling similar to blue lion where I'm worried about getting off the waitlist as an IS applicant. All this waitlist movement now is telling me that there might not be so much past today? I'm not sure if I am being pessimistic or not and just looking for ways to be worried.

Also congrats to all those who got accepted off the waitlist. The positivity and high spirits of those who I saw got off the waitlist makes so much sense to me. Im trying hard to stay positive but it becomes more and more challenging everyday. Send some positive vibes over to ya boy, God know I need it 😭.

Did we ever get confirmation that OOS people get replaced with OOS waitlisters, and IS people get replaced with IS waitlisters?

Last edited:

Kind of elaborating from my last post, looked at the two previous threads and lower end of WL acceptances are 6 (which we're at right now), which was last year, and the higher end is 12. That 12 was also mostly after the April 30th deadline too.

I think there is still a chance for us, and it seems like most decisions happen in May, so here's to hoping this coming month is a lucky one for us.

• Love
I know this is a long shot, but was just wondering if anyone withdrew yesterday April 30th. If you did and are comfortable disclosing that info, just react with a like. Just trying to get a feel for my odds going forward.

I know this is a long shot, but was just wondering if anyone withdrew yesterday April 30th. If you did and are comfortable disclosing that info, just react with a like. Just trying to get a feel for my odds going forward.
I did not, but I personally know two people who did (in favor of schools closer to home). Keep in mind that the majority of applicants actually aren't posting here!

I did not, but I personally know two people who did (in favor of schools closer to home). Keep in mind that the majority of applicants actually aren't posting here!
Thank you for this! Hopefully we can be classmates soon 🤞

• Care