2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it too late to submit a secondary here?
Has the deadline passed? If not, have at it! There are only a little over 10,000 people who managed to get one in before you (assuming that number refers to completed applications and not merely primaries -- does anyone know the answer to that?). As long as your application is good enough to stand out from that crowd, it is never too late until the deadline passes. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I just submitted mine this week. It might be a little late, but if you have the financial means, I say shoot your shot! If not, you should compare your MCAT/GPA/ECs to UM's median/mean and see if you would be a competitive candidate.

Last time I literally sent my secondary the last day (around October 15th) because I had sent my primary like end of September. I ended up getting an II like two weeks later. If you can afford it and you like the school, why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who submitted their secondary after October 1 and got an II, please give me hope lol bc I just submitted my secondary and was marked complete October 6

Edit: Or rather, if anyone submitted towards the end of September and gets an II soon, please lmk!

Last edited:
yesdear.jpg

Who's excited for tomorrow!

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Let this be the lucky charm post for tomorrow's UMichMedMonday. Like to likely get II

Edit: Forgot to mention: First 19 only!

Last edited:
Reactions: 32 users
chrome_Y6whW5V185.png

feelin kinda slept on

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that UMMS tends to send out instate II's around Late Oct-Dec. Is that true for this cycle?

True but the question asked how many have they sent out thus far so I wasn't referring to have many they'll send out by the end of the cycle :)
You can look at all their Monday tweets and add them up.

the purpose for that historical trend is that OOS interviewees would arrive in Michigan during the warmer months. with interviews being online now, it wouldnt make sense. there seem to be plenty of IS II's already
I don't believe this is true; though that is the reason they have done it historically, their tweets suggest that this cycle is the same as previous cycles. There are always some IS applicants who receive early interviews, probably for being particularly strong, URM, etc. However, it appears that the bulk of their interviews are still going to OOS applicants, as demonstrated by how they mention the # of states and # of undergrad institutions on #umichmedmondays. It is likely that this cycle will follow the trend of later interviews being extended to mostly IS applicants. They probably have a comfortable process of app reviews that they've fallen into over the years, and it's unlikely that it would be changed.

As an avid #UmichMedMonday follower for two cycles, I can confidently say that much appears to be the same. Only that they are a bit delayed since the first med Monday began nearly a month later this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if UMich sends out II's only if all LOR's are on file? One of my letter writers is taking a bit of time and I'm worried and thinking about removing them.

Does anyone know if UMich sends out II's only if all LOR's are on file? One of my letter writers is taking a bit of time and I'm worried and thinking about removing them.
I definitely don’t know for sure because I’m not an adcom, but personally I think it stands to reason that they would wait until your application is 100% complete. Given the massive number of applications they receive, it wouldn’t make sense for them to review an application that’s almost complete, only to then need to go back and review it again when another letter comes in. If you expect the letter you are waiting for to be strong and cover a different/unique perspective of your character compared to your other letters, it is probably worth it to wait. Good luck in your cycle!

They tweeted earlier in the cycle that they will send out interview invites without LOR on file

Reactions: 1 user
anybody else have trouble seeing if your CASPer Test was sent? I don't even see the "view checklist" button anywhere on the portal...

Just got the A!!

Damn they were really waiting for 12am to strike haha I'm shook, they said to expect the decision on the 16th but I'm not complaining

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 40 users
Just got the A!!

Damn they were really waiting for 12am to strike haha I'm shook, they said to expect the decision on the 16th but I'm not complaining
+1 OMG OMG such an interesting way to give out an acceptance lmao

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Congrats future doctors!!!! Proud of you all

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
JUST GOT THE A AS WELL!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 33 users
Congrats to everyone who got accepted! So fast!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who received their acceptances and best of luck to everyone still waiting! Go Blue!

Deferred :/. My top choice school so I am disappointed to say the least. I've been searching past threads for any information on deferrals and I can't find too much. Does anyone have any success stories after being deferred from UMich? Is this a soft R? Thank you all in advance.

• Care
Is it too early to start the manifestation?

Reactions: 1 user
JUST GOT THE A AS WELL!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY

Really glad to hear this, and about @YoungBuck1414's A too. Honestly, this is the moment we all waited for as applicants and a key one that makes you realize the dream is finally becoming a reality. For everyone who has been accepted to Michigan, cherish the joy and validation you feel right now. There will be times ahead where you might doubt yourselves as much as or more than you doubted yourselves just a few weeks and months ago. It is so important to not let the uncertainties keep you down, because there will always be more around the corner. You do have what it takes, and you've proven that. Now take the well deserved W and feel proud of yourselves and how far you've come.

For those still waiting, med school admissions is unfortunately way more complicated than it would be in an ideal world. Just by virtue of supply and demand, schools hold essentially all the power and that sucks at times. There's a lot of factors that go into who gets interviews and when, and who doesn't. BUT... that's no reason to hang your entire sense of self-worth on the results of a single application, or app cycle. I won't say that Michigan necessarily gets things perfect, but they do genuinely try to give each app the respect it deserves. Maybe you'll get an A here and maybe you won't, but this school (or any other) is just a bumper sticker on your journey. Your car will be going places regardless, as long as you recognize your worth and do your utmost to put in the work needed to make that clear to an Adcom somewhere. And none of this is to say that the cycle is by any means over. There's a lot of interview dates left and lots of apps still left to be reviewed. Per the wisdom often shared on this forum, you are rejected until you get an A, so keep hustling. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Is this school receptive to update letters? I am not in school, but there was not a gap year update so maybe explaining what I am doing might now could get a response of some sort? I just want to get a nudge whether it's an II or pre-II R...

Really glad to hear this, and about @YoungBuck1414's A too. Honestly, this is the moment we all waited for as applicants and a key one that makes you realize the dream is finally becoming a reality. For everyone who has been accepted to Michigan, cherish the joy and validation you feel right now. There will be times ahead where you might doubt yourselves as much as or more than you doubted yourselves just a few weeks and months ago. It is so important to not let the uncertainties keep you down, because there will always be more around the corner. You do have what it takes, and you've proven that. Now take the well deserved W and feel proud of yourselves and how far you've come.

For those still waiting, med school admissions is unfortunately way more complicated than it would be in an ideal world. Just by virtue of supply and demand, schools hold essentially all the power and that sucks at times. There's a lot of factors that go into who gets interviews and when, and who doesn't. BUT... that's no reason to hang your entire sense of self-worth on the results of a single application, or app cycle. I won't say that Michigan necessarily gets things perfect, but they do genuinely try to give each app the respect it deserves. Maybe you'll get an A here and maybe you won't, but this school (or any other) is just a bumper sticker on your journey. Your car will be going places regardless, as long as you recognize your worth and do your utmost to put in the work needed to make that clear to an Adcom somewhere. And none of this is to say that the cycle is by any means over. There's a lot of interview dates left and lots of apps still left to be reviewed. Per the wisdom often shared on this forum, you are rejected until you get an A, so keep hustling. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the kind words bobthebuilder7. It is really weird just feeling all of the stress of this cycle fall off my shoulders. So much doubt and low self-confidence over the last 6 months (and honestly over the last 4 years). Definitely feeling the validation right now :)

Does anyone know if current UM grad students have access to the medical school buildings? I go to campus every Tuesday for class and would like to check it out if possible (even tho no II or A but still lmao I want to see the campus haha)

Hey all! I'm an incoming M0 in Michigan's MSTP program and just wanted to make myself available if anyone has any specific questions regarding the application or interview process for MD or MSTP here. As a student who just went through the cycle I could answer questions regarding that process, as well as any other questions prospective applicants might have about UM! Of course my perspective is limited by my position as an incoming M1, but nonetheless, I'd be happy to help... and one last thing... GO BLUE!

Where is the match list data on the website?