2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Feelin' pretty spicy myself.

But seriously, fam, it's okay to be stressed (trust me, right there with ya), but hang in there. It's not over yet.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of us who haven't heard back yet (no II or R) do you think its worth sending a letter of interest?

For those of us who haven't heard back yet (no II or R) do you think its worth sending a letter of interest?
From what I’ve read from SDN/Reddit, it’s kind of a mixed bag. If you have something to actually update them on (I.e publication, covid-19 experiences, etc.) I would say it couldn’t hurt. However, letters of interest without an actual update seem to not move the needle much - if anything it may actually annoy the admissions team? I don’t know. I was thinking about it a week ago but decided not to - one less email from me might mean one more application that actually gets read, haha.

I’m guessing next week is going to be the final Michigan Monday - assuming that they are interviewing a similar number of candidates as last year. The additional 18 II from today would put the tracker at 450 and the 2020 cohort had 468 total interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m guessing next week is going to be the final Michigan Monday - assuming that they are interviewing a similar number of candidates as last year. The additional 18 II from today would put the tracker at 450 and the 2020 cohort had 468 total interviews.
It's gotta be... Their last interview day is Feb 5th so *maybe* they'll send out IIs on Feb 1st but that seems a stretch :(

MSAR shows 507 interviews, but that might be from previous year?

It's gotta be... Their last interview day is Feb 5th so *maybe* they'll send out IIs on Feb 1st but that seems a stretch :(
Yeah, just went far back on their Twitter account and by Jan 27th basically said that the few final II’s would be the beginning of the following week. Best of luck all, whatever happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR shows 507 interviews, but that might be from previous year?
That’s from the 2019 entering class. I’m getting my number from 2020. 2018 was 448 I believe? So who knows. I’m gonna just go with the average of those three.

on one hand having so many applications would suggest more interviews (proportionally), but maybe the pool was so swamped with good applicants they don’t feel the need to interview more than usual.

Someone somewhere mentioned that they are handing out 50 extra interviews this year. I am not sure if it is entirely true but you never know given how crazy this year has been.

It’s so sad to be heading into the end of the interview season... like damn I thought I was a cutie but all these schools think I’m ugly apparently ... UMich hasn’t rejected me yet, but I’m emotionally ready for it.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 20 users
It’s so sad to be heading into the end of the interview season... like damn I thought I was a cutie but all these schools think I’m ugly apparently ... UMich hasn’t rejected me yet, but I’m emotionally ready for it.
+1 on this

• Care
Someone somewhere mentioned that they are handing out 50 extra interviews this year. I am not sure if it is entirely true but you never know given how crazy this year has been.
I would love for this to be true. Really frustrated with the silence. Thought no R still was going to mean good things.

Has any of the pre-II R been from September complete dates?
I know someone personally who was a September complete who got the R yesterday, but I don't think I saw any on here! They do seem to be spread over a few months, though.

sorry to everyone that got Rs :( did y'alls portal change when you got the pre-II R?

Getting UCSF flashbacks from reading today's posts, in reference to the trickling of rejections. :(

Yeah, I got complete mid October so not super hopeful, but I believe I saw someone on this cycle's forum who submitted in October and still got an II. I wonder if COVID may influence them to offer some more leniency with submission.
I had to reschedule my MCAT twice and was finally rescheduled to September. I had no control over the timing of the submission of my application and I too assumed there would be some understanding. This unfortunately made me complete in late October. I do feel at a disadvantage and any other year I probably would not have applied that late because all schools clearly say to apply early. It seems like schools are still going by typical timelines and while they say they will consider all applicants in their 'rolling' admissions there is no doubt that most offers were made to the 1000's of applicants who came before us this year. I am just trying my best to not take it personally :(

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I had to reschedule my MCAT twice and was finally rescheduled to September. I had no control over the timing of the submission of my application and I too assumed there would be some understanding. This unfortunately made me complete in late October. I do feel at a disadvantage and any other year I probably would not have applied that late because all schools clearly say to apply early. It seems like schools are still going by typical timelines and while they say they will consider all applicants in their 'rolling' admissions there is no doubt that most offers were made to the 1000's of applicants who came before us this year. I am just trying my best to not take it personally :(
1,000,000% no reason to take it personally. To borrow a quote from the great Animal House, "you f***ed up, you trusted them." It's totally not your fault, there was no way for you to know you couldn't take them at their word, and all you can do from here is be more cynical going forward.

Many, but not all, of the brilliant SDN adcoms also advised that late would be on time this year due to COVID, and it turned out to be BS. As it so happened, apps were way up, which most of the adcoms anticipated, but they didn't anticipate that a lot of people would still be able to get their apps in early. Ultimately, and very true to form, schools did what was best for them, not applicants. Since they had an overwhelming number of great applications, early and/or on time, they had no reason to delay their process to accommodate people like you, so they didn't, although they said all the right things and indicated that they would.

Please don't take it personally because you did everything right. In the future, just take everything with a grain of salt and try to game things out before relying on third party assurances. In hindsight, it was obvious that they weren't going to delay their process given the number of people reporting they were complete in July and August.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
1,000,000% no reason to take it personally. To quote from the great John Belushi in Animal House, "you f***ed up, you trusted them." It's totally not your fault, there was no way for you to know you couldn't take them at their word, and all you can do from here is be more cynical going forward.

Many, but not all, of the brilliant SDN adcoms also advised that late would be on time this year due to COVID, and it turned out to be BS. As it so happened, apps were way up, which most of the adcoms anticipated, but they didn't anticipate that a lot of people would still be able to get their apps in early. Ultimately, and very true to form, schools did what was best for them, not applicants. Since they had an overwhelming number of great applications, early and/or on time, they had no reason to delay their process to accommodate people like you, so they didn't, although they said all the right things and indicated that they would.

Please don't take it personally because you did everything right. In the future, just take everything with a grain of salt and try to game things out before relying on third party assurances. In hindsight, it was obvious that they weren't going to delay their process given the number of people reporting they were complete in July and August.
Well damn, thank you. I may just read what you wrote to all of the many people who will be asking me - So did you get into med school?

• Love
1,000,000% no reason to take it personally. To quote from the great John Belushi in Animal House, "you f***ed up, you trusted them." It's totally not your fault, there was no way for you to know you couldn't take them at their word, and all you can do from here is be more cynical going forward.

Dang. This is one of the best things I've read in my premed career. Very well written and articulate

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Well damn, thank you. I may just read what you wrote to all of the many people who will be asking me - So did you get into med school?

Even better, KnightDoc hasn't applied yet.

Last edited:
Many, but not all, of the brilliant SDN adcoms also advised that late would be on time this year due to COVID, and it turned out to be BS.
I agree with everything but this. I didn't see really anyone saying that October would be on time (though obviously unavoidable for applicants in states with obscenely delayed MCATs). I thought it was pretty widely acknowledged that "on time" would be delayed *maybe* a month, which seems to have been true at many schools, though not all. There were just so many people who had taken their MCAT in March or earlier.

I agree with everything but this. I didn't see really anyone saying that October would be on time (though obviously unavoidable for applicants in states with obscenely delayed MCATs). I thought it was pretty widely acknowledged that "on time" would be delayed *maybe* a month, which seems to have been true at many schools, though not all. There were just so many people who had taken their MCAT in March or earlier.
I'll try to find a few and post them here. They were all over the place at the time.

Reactions: 1 users