2020-2021 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

With some brief discussions with other adcoms on here, we roughly estimate that mid to late Sept would still be early at most schools and I would say that mid October is sill fine for most candidates at most programs. You dont get into medical school because you are you are first or even “early” especially tjos cycle. You get in because you are good. Rushing an MCAT before you are ready is a way to screw up your chances

Nope.

Please spread the word. This form is getting inundated with questions like these

Chances will be best for apps to her state schools. It is getting late for MD, but I recommend that she still keep on applying, targeting schools where she has the best chances of success.

I would think a solid candidate complete by mid october is unlikely to have chances impacted by any “lateness” factor.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean...it depends on what gonnif defines as a solid candidate. I applied mid to late September with a "fine" app, but with no exceedingly impressive Experience, Metric, or Attribute and still received 4 IIs. However, these were at schools where complete dates are not that relevant (compared to a Tulane/Michigan). I do think past October 1 complete dates are sketchy UNLESS you exceed an EAM.

Could we please keep non Michigan specific discussions outside of this thread? Thank you

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At DO schools potentially, but at MD schools that is extremely poor advice unless a "solid candidate" is Harvard material, in which case they're probably good to go in December, too.

I disagree strongly with gonnif on this one. I do think early applicants are more likely to be accepted (or at least to be interviewed). There's no way UMich's June/July applicants are just exponentially stronger than later ones.

ETA: apologies! Back to Michigan content.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure applying early increases your chance of getting IIs from UMich.

My primary was verified in July but due to my compact busy schedule (+procrastination, poor time management) I finally submitted my secondary in late September. I think I got emails from UMich at least once a month as a "reminder" to submit the app. Although it wasn't explicitly stated, I could sense their practice of the earlier the better (aka rolling admissions).

I mean...it depends on what gonnif defines as a solid candidate. I applied mid to late September with a "fine" app, but with no exceedingly impressive Experience, Metric, or Attribute and still received 4 IIs. However, these were at schools where complete dates are not that relevant (compared to a Tulane/Michigan). I do think past October 1 complete dates are sketchy UNLESS you exceed an EAM.
Yes, that's the entire point. In hindsight, it is obvious that October was late unless you are a superstar, and that is no different from any other year. At the time (August, September, early October) our resident experts were advising that October was fine due to the pandemic.

"Solid" candidate goes without saying, because an "unsolid" candidate won't be successful no matter when they apply, in this or any other cycle. :cool: Then data started coming out regarding how completed apps were running far ahead of last year, and all of a sudden October wasn't so fine anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Alright Michigan fam who are still in purgatory, how are we feeling about today?

• Haha
Michigan is probably the best in terms of keeping applicants posted. Would be nice if they come up with a tweet about we have x more IIs to be given and we shall continue reviewing till mm/dd/yyyy!

Michigan is probably the best in terms of keeping applicants posted. Would be nice if they come up with a tweet about we have x more IIs to be given and we shall continue reviewing till mm/dd/yyyy!
Agreed. I'm still trying to figure out if purgatory is a good or bad sign. The recent R waves on here mirror the ones from the end of the cycle last year (per last year's thread), but it's hard not to be at least a little hopeful that we're still in the game...

Alright Michigan fam who are still in purgatory, how are we feeling about today?
Oh well, at this point I'm wondering if my app was lost somehow. I didn't check this thread at all yesterday only to come here and see the aftermath of a bloodbath....This is one of my top choices; it will hurt when I get this R.

IS, complete mid-July, LM 77

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh well, at this point I'm wondering if my app was lost somehow. I didn't check this thread at all yesterday only to come here and see the aftermath of a bloodbath....This is one of my top choices; it will hurt when I get this R.

IS, complete mid-July, LM 77
Also IS/mid-July complete/LM 77, and feeling the same. From comparing the interview tracker with previous years, it does seem as though there are ~40 II left to be sent (unless that number is lower this year), but I don't have much hope left for one. It's wild that this cycle's almost over.

Pre-II R just now is complete 8/12

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Mid-September complete date, still just sitting here waiting for my inevitable demise :)

Pre II R bois, was nice seeing yall on this thread, time to walk towards the exit haha

• Care
  • Haha
lol wtf order are they going in

It seems like they're going in (roughly) chronological order, and when they reach the bottom of the pile, they go back to the start again, culling more candidates out each round and maybe picking out some here and there to potentially interview. Sort of like a last check to see if they haven't missed anyone. It seems like UCSF is doing the same :cryi:

It seems like they're going in (roughly) chronological order, and when they reach the bottom of the pile, they go back to the start again, culling more candidates out each round and maybe picking out some here and there to potentially interview. Sort of like a last check to see if they haven't missed anyone. It seems like UCSF is doing the same :cryi:
Are the Rs all going out at once and people are just reporting staggered from each other? Or are they pressing send on each one after a few minutes 😅

Are the Rs all going out at once and people are just reporting staggered from each other? Or are they pressing send on each one after a few minutes 😅
Some people posted here before mine came in

• Sad
Wish they would tweet saying 352 Rs sent today!

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I wish it was like other schools during R waves where you could see it in your portal before you got the email! It would make things so much less agonizing haha

The worst part about dodging all the R's so far is that I'm still feeling slightly hopeful. But a quick reality check reminds me that the chances are low....

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Got the firing squad today too. Oos,,complete late July. Good luck to everyone still in the running

Last edited:
  • Care