2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today, submitted secondary July 29th. IS.

They are requiring VITA to be done at least 3 days before the Zoom interview. They say it'll take several more weeks to send out Zoom interview invites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
II today, submitted secondary July 29th. IS.

They are requiring VITA to be done at least 3 days before the Zoom interview. They say it'll take several more weeks to send out Zoom interview invites.

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your GPA/MCAT stats?

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your GPA/MCAT stats?

MCAT = 511
cGPA (Undergrad) = 3.55
cGPA (Graduate) = 3.94

I'm a pretty non-traditional student, so I don't know how much these stats are weighted compared to other parts of my application, but here they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the VITA interview.

Final judgment pending my live interview, but I actually really liked it. Seems like it's a good way to get all of the "standard" interview questions out of the way so the live interview can focus on more personalized questions. Also incredibly easy to set up and took less than a half hour total.

Reactions: 1 users
Did the VITA interview.

Final judgment pending my live interview, but I actually really liked it. Seems like it's a good way to get all of the "standard" interview questions out of the way so the live interview can focus on more personalized questions. Also incredibly easy to set up and took less than a half hour total.

Do you know when your duluth interview is then?

Do you know when your duluth interview is then?

No.

Duluth's email said that they send interview scheduling in small batches separately from the VITA interview and completely independent of it, i.e. when you complete the VITA interview is irrelevant in determining when you will get a live interview. They said that the only stipulation is that you must complete your VITA interview at least 3 days before your live interview.

The email I received said it could be up to several weeks before I hear any word about the live interview.

Just got my invite to the live interview.

Scheduled for the morning of Sept 14th.

Interview slots are 2.5 hours long, consisting of 2 different one-on-one 1-hour interviews. They've built in prep time before the 1st one and "debriefing" time after the 2nd one. All interviews done over Zoom.

They also mentioned that they will send info about a different session later where I will be able to talk to current students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
II just a few minutes ago! Submitted 7/31, IS! Goodluck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who received II so far, I know VITA only sends out emails every Thursday, but since I got the email from Duluth this morning, I didnt get the VITA email... checked spam and everything... maybe it had to be submitted from Duluth last night for me to get VITA today? Should I just wait until next Thursday or reach out? Thanks!

For those of you who received II so far, I know VITA only sends out emails every Thursday, but since I got the email from Duluth this morning, I didnt get the VITA email... checked spam and everything... maybe it had to be submitted from Duluth last night for me to get VITA today? Should I just wait until next Thursday or reach out? Thanks!

There's a decent chance that you just got the invite too late. I got my initial invite on a Tuesday.

That said, it may just be a little early in the morning. I don't think it will hurt to reach out and ask just to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my interview.

For those that are interested in the details:

-First 15 minutes is just a general overview of curriculum and financial aid. Financial aid packages aren't sent out until July.
-Break you out into two 1-on-1 interviews that are about 50 minutes each (time for breaks after each one).
-Last 15 minutes is overview of the admissions process. Earliest that any acceptance notifications will go out is November 15th, by phone.
-Admissions are rolling (the earlier you interview, the better, but e.g. interviewing on Wednesday vs. Tuesday won't matter) and they said that they give out roughly 80% of their acceptances in the first go.
-If you get put on the wait list, it isn't finalized until after interview season, and at that point they'll tell you where you are on that list and what your odds of getting an acceptance are. They said that sometimes their wait list doesn't move at all, but it generally moves in the ballpark of 20-30 people.

Questions:
-both interviewers were family physicians involved with the school (one taught classes, the other was in an administrative role).
-Didn't receive a single question about my academic history (e.g. grades, scores, etc.) or my volunteer/employment history.
-Questions almost all focused on primary care medicine, particularly family medicine. Know why you want to be in medicine, why primary care, what primary care is, what a family physician does, struggles faced by rural patients/under-served communities, etc. Don't even mention any interest in any type of non-primary care specialty; it will only hurt you.
-Also had to answer a question about a time I failed and what that meant to me.
-Answered a few generic questions, e.g. "How did you end up deciding to apply to Duluth?" or "Do you still do hobby X?".
-Talked about random personal stuff for a bit (e.g. talked about how I met my wife).

They also mentioned that there will be an optional one hour meeting with current students over zoom about 10 days afterwards. This meeting takes place over the lunch hour and anything that you talk to the students about doesn't get back to the ADCOM (the students also have no say in your application). If you can't make the date set for you due to commitments, they said that you can attend a later one. They are also building a virtual tool to tour the campus.

Reactions: 7 users

-First 15 minutes is just a general overview of curriculum and financial aid. Financial aid packages aren't sent out until July.
-Break you out into two 1-on-1 interviews that are about 50 minutes each (time for breaks after each one).
-Last 15 minutes is overview of the admissions process. Earliest that any acceptance notifications will go out is November 15th, by phone.
-Admissions are rolling (the earlier you interview, the better, but e.g. interviewing on Wednesday vs. Tuesday won't matter) and they said that they give out roughly 80% of their acceptances in the first go.
-If you get put on the wait list, it isn't finalized until after interview season, and at that point they'll tell you where you are on that list and what your odds of getting an acceptance are. They said that sometimes their wait list doesn't move at all, but it generally moves in the ballpark of 20-30 people.

Questions:
-both interviewers were family physicians involved with the school (one taught classes, the other was in an administrative role).
-Didn't receive a single question about my academic history (e.g. grades, scores, etc.) or my volunteer/employment history.
-Questions almost all focused on primary care medicine, particularly family medicine. Know why you want to be in medicine, why primary care, what primary care is, what a family physician does, struggles faced by rural patients/under-served communities, etc. Don't even mention any interest in any type of non-primary care specialty; it will only hurt you.
-Answered a few generic questions, e.g. "How did you end up deciding to apply to Duluth?" or "Do you still do hobby X?".
-Talked about random personal stuff for a bit (e.g. talked about how I met my wife).

They also mentioned that there will be an optional one hour meeting with current students over zoom about 10 days afterwards. This meeting takes place over the lunch hour and anything that you talk to the students about doesn't get back to the ADCOM (the students also have no say in your application). If you can't make the date set for you due to commitments, they said that you can attend a later one. They are also building a virtual tool to tour the campus.
Thank you for sharing this information! Super helpful. Did they mention how they will be evaluating the VITA?

Thank you for sharing this information! Super helpful. Did they mention how they will be evaluating the VITA?

No mention if it whatsoever. The two interviewers acknowledged that they had seen it but other than that total silence on it.

Questions:

Thanks for this, super helpful!!!! I am interviewing here Oct 1– sounds like today was the first day though? Do you think im still considered the “first round”? (I.e. will find out around nov 15?) when I went to sign up for my interview I saw todays date on the list but there were no spots until 10/1. Just curious! Thanks!

Thanks for this, super helpful!!!! I am interviewing here Oct 1– sounds like today was the first day though? Do you think im still considered the “first round”? (I.e. will find out around nov 15?) when I went to sign up for my interview I saw todays date on the list but there were no spots until 10/1. Just curious! Thanks!

If I had to guess, I would say that's probably still considered the first round, or is at least early in the second group of interviews.

They told us that the ADCOM meets once per week to consider post-interview applicants, but if both your interviewers aren't at that meeting that they postpone discussing your application for a week (and that this doesn't harm your application). That decision then goes to an executive ADCOM for both Twin Cities and Duluth campuses (your status applying to one has no effect on the other) which meets bi-weekly, and only after that approval do you get a decision. They said that the process can take up to 6 weeks depending on the timeline and that decisions are sent to the executive ADCOM in batches and, considering the delay to November (which is due to COVID-19), I would still guess that you'll be considered in that "first batch".

They also only do three interviews a day.

If I had to guess, I would say that's probably still considered the first round, or is at least early in the second group of interviews.

They told us that the ADCOM meets once per week to consider post-interview applicants, but if both your interviewers aren't at that meeting that they postpone discussing your application for a week (and that this doesn't harm your application). That decision then goes to an executive ADCOM for both Twin Cities and Duluth campuses (your status applying to one has no effect on the other) which meets bi-weekly, and only after that approval do you get a decision. They said that the process can take up to 6 weeks depending on the timeline and that decisions are sent to the executive ADCOM in batches and, considering the delay to November (which is due to COVID-19), I would still guess that you'll be considered in that "first batch".

They also only do three interviews a day.

Great, thanks! Thats what I figured too but wanted to see if you knew anything. So even if the adcom met to review you in the next couple weeks you wouldnt find out until Nov 15 anyways, right? So my guess is me interviewing oct 1 will likely get me a decision before Thanksgiving (hopefully)! Glad it went well for you :) heres to maybe being future classmates!

IS II invite week of 9/14! Haven’t been contacted to schedule interview yet. Submitted secondary week of 8/3. Reply with any Qs!

Week of 9/21 Update: Received scheduling invite. First available interview date was mid-Oct.

Last edited:
IS II invite on 9/15! Haven’t been contacted to scheduled interview yet. Submitted secondary on 8/7. Reply with any Qs!
Now I’m nervous, my secondary was complete on 8/7 o_O haha

Now I’m nervous, my secondary was complete on 8/7 o_O haha
They send rejection emails so as long as you don’t have one of those you’re probably still in the queue! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

They send rejection emails so as long as you don’t have one of those you’re probably still in the queue! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Thanks! I have similar stats. 506 MCAT, 4.0 c/s GPA

Questions:

Did they give you the names of your interviewers ahead of time?

II on 9/24! Submitted 8/8. Waiting to schedule interview, and waiting on VITA e-mail.

II on 9/24! Submitted 8/8. Waiting to schedule interview, and waiting on VITA e-mail.
Congrats! I also got my II on a Thursday, so you wont get the VITA invite until next Thursday :)

II on 9/30! Submitted 8/11. Wondering how long it'll take to hear back about scheduling...

II on 9/30! Submitted 8/11. Wondering how long it'll take to hear back about scheduling...
Congrats! I heard back about a week after my approved for interview email. Because its weds today, you will likely receive VITA tomorrow but if not, next Thursday!

No interview yet, also no rejection. So thats a good thing! Fingers crossed. I am from MN, have lived rurally there and gave a really honest effort toward the secondary app which was a great prompt set in my opinion. LOVE Duluth and would be excited to call it home for a while.

No interview yet, also no rejection. So thats a good thing! Fingers crossed. I am from MN, have lived rurally there and gave a really honest effort toward the secondary app which was a great prompt set in my opinion. LOVE Duluth and would be excited to call it home for a while.
When did you submit?

They arent looking at MCAT for II this cycle— when were u complete at duluth? Like when did you submit your secondary have all ur letters in etc

Yeah good point. They are looking at mcat after interviews. 8/11 secondary was in. Letters too.

Sadly got the R today. Really disappointed but just have to accept it and believe that it wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to the rest of you!

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Sadly got the R today. Really disappointed but just have to accept it and believe that it wasn't meant to be. Best of luck to the rest of you!
I'm sorry to hear about this news today. If you don't mind me asking when were you complete and what were your stats? Also IS or OOS?

I'm sorry to hear about this news today. If you don't mind me asking when were you complete and what were your stats? Also IS or OOS?

Technically OOS but I just moved OOS in May. Lived in MN off an on for 20 of my 30 years.

sGPA 3.14
cGPA 3.27
MCAT 504

Complete 8/11

Technically OOS but I just moved OOS in May. Lived in MN off an on for 20 of my 30 years.

sGPA 3.14
cGPA 3.27
MCAT 504

Complete 8/11
Well I wish you good luck moving forward and thank you for the info!

Pre-II R last night. OOS with no ties, but have extensive experience in rural living. Good luck to everybody!

• Care
Still patiently waiting to get an update! Has anyone received and II that submitted their secondary application in September?

Last edited: