2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Minnesota, Duluth

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT optional this cycle!
5C123C28-3BDE-4ED2-B3FB-0E9A5F96366B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need a demonstrated commitment to serving rural populations, which is more meaningful and important :)

i interviewed here last cycle, i'm from rural minnesota, i fit their criteria perfectly and had above par stats yet the interviewers and staff were extremely rude to me, one of my interviewers told me "you don't belong here", like excuse me, even if they don't like me they don't have to tell me to my face during my interview

Anyone else having technical challenges with the link? After setting a password, I can't log in. When I try resetting the password, it says it can't send the link.

(I'm OOS)

Anyone else having technical challenges with the link? After setting a password, I can't log in. When I try resetting the password, it says it can't send the link.

(I'm OOS)
I would email admissions. I filled it out the day they sent it and about 12 hours later they sent an email saying they were having technical difficulties and made everyone select their campuses again.

Oh my goodness I was thinking of applying here but I'm glad I saved my money
ya if you aren't from what they consider to be rural minnesota, you don't stand a chance

they also had the balls to tell me my small town of 500 people, "wasn't rural" because my interviewer had lived 30 minutes from there (in St. Cloud) one time

If I am native american (and from minnesota but a big city) but I have no experience working with rural or native communities is it a waste to apply?

If I am native american (and from minnesota but a big city) but I have no experience working with rural or native communities is it a waste to apply?

no, use your race to your advantage

you could also state that you wanted to shadow a rural physician but were unable to due to covid

the med school really only trains physicians to practice rural, however, it is a med school and you're gonna get out of it however much effort you put into it, work really hard, get the board scores you need, and you can do urban

Reactions: 1 users
Can any clarify what prompts in the secondary are required and which are optional? Some of them have asterisks and some force you to have at least one character (others only zero), but not all asterisk-marked prompts require at least 1 character.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am certainly considering a career in rural, family medicine, but I am still undecided. Can a current student comment on if it is worth applying to this school if I may want to specialize later? I don't want to limit myself if this program isn't going to be a good fit for my goals.

I am certainly considering a career in rural, family medicine, but I am still undecided. Can a current student comment on if it is worth applying to this school if I may want to specialize later? I don't want to limit myself if this program isn't going to be a good fit for my goals.

I have worked with quite a few emergency physicians in the Twin Cities that went to Duluth.

They all say that the only difference is that you live in/near Duluth for your first two years of school and then move down to the Twin Cities for 3rd/4th year.

Reactions: 2 users
Could someone who has received the secondary post the prompts on here?

Thanks!

Could someone who has received the secondary post the prompts on here?

Thanks!
University of Minnesota Medical School-Duluth
Prompt 1 (800 Characters):
The primary purpose of the UMN Medical School, Duluth Campus is to educate physicians dedicated to serving rural Minnesota or Native American communities with an emphasis in family medicine. Given the purpose of the school, please explain how you do or will fulfill this mission.

Prompt 2 (800 Characters):
What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a medical practice that serves the Duluth campus mission?

Prompt 3 (800 Characters):
How familiar are you with life in a rural setting or Native American community?

Prompt 4 (800 Characters):
How have you familiarized yourself with the field of medicine?

Prompt 5 (800 Characters):
Tell us about a time when you acted with implicit or explicit bias. How did you become aware of this and what did you do to address the situation or what will you do in the future? Through any situation we are interested in what you learned.

Prompt 6 (800 Characters):
Please tell us about your identity. How has your identity impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different from your own? Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (Optional)

Prompt 7 (800 Characters):
Medical school can be stressful. What coping skills have you used in the past to deal with stressful situations? What recreational and leisure activities do you enjoy?

Prompt 8 (800 Characters):
Describe your ties to the state of Minnesota? (This question seeks to understand why you are interested in the state of MN not the University of Minnesota.)

Prompt 9 (800 Characters):
Right now is a watershed moment in American history and this country's reckoning with race, racism, racial injustice, and especially anti-Black hatred. Please share your reflections on, experiences with, or greatest lessons learned about the systemic racism that is receiving international attention with the murders of numerous Black, Indigenous, and People of Color including but not limited to George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Vanessa Guillen, Rayshard Brooks, and Elijah McClain.

Prompt 10 (800 Characters):
If applicable, please describe how COVID-19 has impacted your pathway to medical school. Describe any academic, personal, financial, or professional barriers that COVID-19 may have presented for you. For example: Unable to secure a seat for the MCAT. (Optional)

@TheDataKing

i interviewed here last cycle, i'm from rural minnesota, i fit their criteria perfectly and had above par stats yet the interviewers and staff were extremely rude to me, one of my interviewers told me "you don't belong here", like excuse me, even if they don't like me they don't have to tell me to my face during my interview
Based off this and your previous comment maybe they’re trying to help you. Unnecessary rudeness isn’t welcomed especially in this field. Sorry to hear that you didn’t get in, but that doesn’t mean you should criticize the school and how they evaluate their applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, it seems like Duluth is pretty set on having students who fit their mission goal. I have zero hours with either primary care or rural care, so even if I crafted my secondary to show an interest in primary care, would it be worth it to apply or do I have no chance? FWIW, IS applicant with good stats, but ORM, and again I know that stats aren't what Duluth focuses on.

Based off this and your previous comment maybe they’re trying to help you. Unnecessary rudeness isn’t welcomed especially in this field. Sorry to hear that you didn’t get in, but that doesn’t mean you should criticize the school and how they evaluate their applicants.

but here's the thing, i don't care if i didn't get in, i probably wouldn't have attended it anyway, it's not a good fit for me, i was just seriously taken aback at how rude they were to me

Hey everyone, it seems like Duluth is pretty set on having students who fit their mission goal. I have zero hours with either primary care or rural care, so even if I crafted my secondary to show an interest in primary care, would it be worth it to apply or do I have no chance? FWIW, IS applicant with good stats, but ORM, and again I know that stats aren't what Duluth focuses on.

maybe say you planned to shadow a rural primary care doc but couldn't because of corona

I didn‘t either and I was accepted! Definitely worth trying

Less than 50% of students actually go into family med although their curriculum is tailored towards that for the first 2 years. I’m also keeping my options open for specialties. You can still do any speciality with this program, and you combine with the TC campus 3rd and 4th year which really opens all doors

just here to answer any questions you may have about this school! I was accepted last cycle and am starting in a couple weeks. I really utilized this thread last cycle and found it super helpful so feel free to ask me anything

How bad is the weather? I'm from AZ, so I love the heat. Obviously, it's going to be snowy and cold.
Haha it gets pretty cold in the middle of winter but luckily their campus is entirely indoors. It’s not like twin cities campus where you might have to walk outside to get from building to building. And the snow is beautiful & there are a ton of fun winter activities to do in Duluth. The fall here is incredible too

How bad is the weather? I'm from AZ, so I love the heat. Obviously, it's going to be snowy and cold.
also it still gets very warm here!! like it’s 90 where I am rn. And I run/walk outside for exercise all winter long, so it’s definitely not unbearable

FYI to anyone currently writing responses to these prompts:

(...)
Prompt 6 (800 Characters):
Please tell us about your identity. How has your identity impacted the development of your values and attitudes toward others, particularly those with values different from your own? Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine. (Optional)

(...)

Prompt 9 (800 Characters):
Right now is a watershed moment in American history and this country's reckoning with race, racism, racial injustice, and especially anti-Black hatred. Please share your reflections on, experiences with, or greatest lessons learned about the systemic racism that is receiving international attention with the murders of numerous Black, Indigenous, and People of Color including but not limited to George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Vanessa Guillen, Rayshard Brooks, and Elijah McClain.

There's a small change to these prompts now. While the top of the page still says "Maximum length for each response is 800 characters." both of the questions allow up to 4000 characters:

1597431139729.png

FYI to anyone currently writing responses to these prompts:

There's a small change to these prompts now. While the top of the page still says "Maximum length for each response is 800 characters." both of the questions allow up to 4000 characters:

View attachment 315872
Just follow the prompt, just because the system allows it doesn't mean they actually want that. Follow the instructions at the top of the page, bottom must be a computer error.

not like you need a high mcat to get in here anyway
Yeah, you don't need a high MCAT if you have hundreds of hours of medical, community service, and experience with underserved populations. All of the components are balanced. A higher MCAT needs you can still get in even if you don't have as much healthcare experience as someone 2 years older than you who's scribed those two years.

Follow the instructions at the top of the page, bottom must be a computer error.

It's actually not. I called their admission and asked - it's a deliberate change for those two questions.

It's actually not. I called their admission and asked - it's a deliberate change for those two questions.
There has to be some error then. You can't have a maximum of both 800 and 4000.

There has to be some error then. You can't have a maximum of both 800 and 4000.

The "Maximum length for each response is 800 characters." is on the top, a blanket statement for all of them. However, the two specific questions have maximum length of 4000. It looks like they changed the questions itself but didn't modify the header text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok thanks for clarifying! Hope they change it soon!

How have you all interpreted this question?

"What are some of the professional and personal advantages and disadvantages of a medical practice that serves the Duluth campus mission?"

What does this mean???? How can a medical practice have personal advantages or disadvantages? The wording is so weird

What does this mean???? How can a medical practice have personal advantages or disadvantages? The wording is so weird

This is essentially asking why rural medicine, how you see it, what pros/cons does it have. One of my family friends is a rural FM doc, and people sometimes knock to his door at 3AM bringing eggs & milk as a souvenir and asking if he can maybe come now and see a kid who's sick (despite his house definitely not being his office and 3AM clearly being out of his office hours).

Rural medicine & life is way different personally. I'm assuming they ask this specific question to screen if people applying REALLY know what they're getting into.

i got a rejection from Duluth last night!!!! (???) Kinda freaked out about why it was so early on in the cycle... but wondering if anyone else got one too?

*my stats are in their range, my entire app was about racism in healthcare which i guess maybe they didnt like?

• Sad
i got a rejection from Duluth last night!!!! (???) Kinda freaked out about why it was so early on in the cycle... but wondering if anyone else got one too?

*my stats are in their range, my entire app was about racism in healthcare which i guess maybe they didnt like?
Screenshot?

sorry to hear this! do you have any rural health experience, or did you talk about rural medicine or serving Native American populations at all in your app?

sorry to hear this! do you have any rural health experience, or did you talk about rural medicine or serving Native American populations at all in your app?

all my experience is with underserved populations- just in an urban setting and not rural! so maybe that made the big difference!! my secondary talked about translating those skills into a rural context tho. my why MN was about the recent uprisings there and how it is a site of deep activism that med students can engage in (re street medics). lol so probably not very duluth focused.

all my experience is with underserved populations- just in an urban setting and not rural! so maybe that made the big difference!! my secondary talked about translating those skills into a rural context tho. my why MN was about the recent uprisings there and how it is a site of deep activism that med students can engage in (re street medics). lol so probably not very duluth focused.
but hennyways.. just want to know if anyone else got rejected this early too : (

AFAIK they're known from fast-paced admission process, which can even be seen by their 1° screening. UM Duluth sent me their 2° in 2.5 days, where TC took 16 days.

but hennyways.. just want to know if anyone else got rejected this early too : (
Out of curiosity, when did you submit your 2°?

AFAIK they're known from fast-paced admission process, which can even be seen by their 1° screening. UM Duluth sent me their 2° in 2.5 days, where TC took 16 days.

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your 2°?
Received July 27th, submitted Aug 1. It was one of the last ones I received.

Im so sorry :( would you mind sharing GPA/MCAT stats? Im IS and submitted a couple weeks ago and havent heard anything so just curious.

Anyone get any interviews yet? If so when did you submit your secondary?

Congrats!!! Im IS and submitted right after you so hopefully soon for me! Do you mind sharing your stats/what interview dates they gave you for options?

Said they send out specific interview dates soon after the II, and then you schedule from there!

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509

Said they send out specific interview dates soon after the II, and then you schedule from there!

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509

Gotcha, thanks for sharing!! They also said they are participating in VITA- did you get the email from duluth or vita or both? Good luck to you :)

Gotcha, thanks for sharing!! They also said they are participating in VITA- did you get the email from duluth or vita or both? Good luck to you :)

VITA invites get sent out on Thursdays, so once you get the II from Duluth the following Thursday is when you'd get the VITA email! Good luck to you as well this cycle!