2020-2021 Minnesota, Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted. Interviewed mid October. Sending good vibes to all who have not heard.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 same here! I know Duluth WL a bunch of people so theres still hope! What category are you in?

I was told we won't know categories until March.

Also, for the person that asked, I interviewed day 1 (Sept 14th).

I was told we won't know categories until March.

Also, for the person that asked, I interviewed day 1 (Sept 14th).
Right but in the email at the end of the first paragraph i think it should say something like highly favorable acceptable or not likely category (or something to that degree)

Reactions: 1 user
Right but in the email at the end of the first paragraph i think it should say something like highly favorable acceptable or not likely category (or something to that degree)

Mine said "quite favorable", and they put me into "acceptable (waitlist)" category.

I don't know if this actually means anything though. We might be reading into it too much.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine said "quite favorable", and they put me into "acceptable (waitlist)" category.

I don't know if this actually means anything though. We might be reading into it too much.
Yeah true I mean we dont really know more until March but I know they WL a ton and theres usually a pretty decent amount of movement! Time for more waiting lol :)

ACCEPTED!! Got the call earlier today and I am still in absolute shock!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats future MD!! Do you mind sharing stats/location etc.
Thank you so much!! My interview was on October 6th. IS and grew up in an extremely rural area. cGPA was a 3.73 and I actually had a pretty low MCAT score so I really think that my rural background and extensive healthcare experience is what helped me! Goodluck to you all!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah true I mean we dont really know more until March but I know they WL a ton and theres usually a pretty decent amount of movement! Time for more waiting lol :)
I got that message as well, but I dont think we will know more until march :( more waiting indeed.

Accepted! Got the call around 1:30pm Minnesota time. Best of luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How quickly does UMD send out their interview scheduling email after notification of an interview?

How quickly does UMD send out their interview scheduling email after notification of an interview?

I received mine the same day, but that might have been weird because they originally said it would take a while.

Complete 10/5. Pre-II R today 11/24.

OOS, lower stats, but very mission-oriented, interested in underserved primary care and align well with the school.

• Care
Just got accepted a few minutes ago! I'm extatic!

Interviewed 10/12

cGPA 3.72 sGPA 3.84 MCAT 504.

I had a lot of extra curriculars and out reach involving indigenous people in both rural and urban settings. I also come partially from a rural background.

Good luck everyone I'm rooting for all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Do you need to complete your VITA before they send you the email regarding scheduling the live interview? I received the initial "approved for interview" email on 11/13/20 and haven't received a follow-up email to schedule my live interview yet. In the email they said you have up until 3 days before your live interview to complete VITA so I don't think that's what's holding me up 🤔 Maybe just the holiday?

Do you need to complete your VITA before they send you the email regarding scheduling the live interview? I received the initial "approved for interview" email on 11/13/20 and haven't received a follow-up email to schedule my live interview yet. In the email they said you have up until 3 days before your live interview to complete VITA so I don't think that's what's holding me up 🤔 Maybe just the holiday?
I wouldnt worry too much.. i got the approved for II email 9/3, f/u email to actually schedule II 9/8 and then VITA invite 9/10.

In the end of October the earliest interview date was in December so I don’t think you’d have the ability to interview that soon after receiving the scheduling email.

I’m a current student here (MS1). If anyone has questions feel free to ask on this thread or PM me!

do you guys think it's too late to submit a secondary? I received one awhile ago but never filled it out. I have acceptances at other schools so this just got put on the back burner. but now i'm thinking i should do it

They said it would be 5-6 weeks until hearing back after interviewing, are most people hearing back the full-time time length given or any chance of hearing back earlier?

Last edited:
They said it would be 5-6 weeks until hearing back, are most people hearing back the full time length given or any chance hearing back earlier?
At my interview, they said 6-8 weeks and Friday will be the 6th-week mark for me.

They said it would be 5-6 weeks until hearing back after interviewing, are most people hearing back the full-time time length given or any chance of hearing back earlier?
They are in an admissions freeze so we are waitlisted either way, high priority (which would have been an acceptance earlier) or normal waitlist.

They are in an admissions freeze so we are waitlisted either way, high priority (which would have been an acceptance earlier) or normal waitlist.
Interesting.. how did you hear about this? I thought they didnt tell us about WL until march

How did you learn that they are in an admissions freeze? Can you explain what that means?

How did you learn that they are in an admissions freeze? Can you explain what that means?
I interviewed last week and that’s when I was informed that they are in a freeze. After they accept 40 of their 65 seats they have an admissions freeze. There’s a really informative post about it in last years thread. But I’ll attach the screenshot I took of it.
1B39283B-2780-4BB3-89A7-75B8A5B135A7.png

I interviewed last week and that’s when I was informed that they are in a freeze. After they accept 40 of their 65 seats they have an admissions freeze. There’s a really informative post about it in last years thread. But I’ll attach the screenshot I took of it. View attachment 324624
Thank you for clarifying! Weird that they didn’t mention this on my interview day.

Thank you for clarifying! Weird that they didn’t mention this on my interview day.
Last week the freeze started so if you interviewed a while ago they weren’t in the freeze at that time. There’s technically a chance you could receive an acceptance if one of the 40 turned down their offer already. You never know!

Last week the freeze started so if you interviewed a while ago they weren’t in the freeze at that time. There’s technically a chance you could receive an acceptance if one of the 40 turned down their offer already. You never know!
So from my interview, they told us that if you are put on the WL, come March they will put us in a "high" "middle" or "low" priority group.

From what I'm reading in what you just posted, does that mean that anyone who got a straight WL email won't be put on the "high" priority category because that will already be filled with people that interviewed after the auto-freeze hits?

From what I can gather, they would of course end up sending out some more invites (e.g. to fill the remaining seats that hadn't been offered once all interviews are done, or to fill seats from people who didn't take their seat), but this would still mean that if you got a straight WL email, your chance of getting into the "high" group isn't great, is it?

So from my interview, they told us that if you are put on the WL, come March they will put us in a "high" "middle" or "low" priority group.

From what I'm reading in what you just posted, does that mean that anyone who got a straight WL email won't be put on the "high" priority category because that will already be filled with people that interviewed after the auto-freeze hits?

From what I can gather, they would of course end up sending out some more invites (e.g. to fill the remaining seats that hadn't been offered once all interviews are done, or to fill seats from people who didn't take their seat), but this would still mean that if you got a straight WL email, your chance of getting into the "high" group isn't great, is it?
During my interview they told us that we would be either put into the high priority or the straight waitlist. To be put into the high priority our score from the admissions committee has to be that of what would have warranted an automatic accept prior to the freeze. So now they are giving out the high priority waitlist instead of accepts. Then with the regular waitlist, in March you find out your placement (top 1/3, middle 1/3, and bottom 1/3). So being high priority is above the top 1/3 regular waitlist.

Basically, if you have already been told you are on the waitlist prior to now you will not switch to the high priority but you can still be in the top of the normal waitlist. To make things more confusing, the high priority can exceed the 25 remaining seats but it also can be less than the 25. Being on the high priority happens when your score hits the threshold that a few weeks ago would have granted you an acceptance. I hope this helps lol.

During my interview they told us that we would be either put into the high priority or the straight waitlist. To be put into the high priority our score from the admissions committee has to be that of what would have warranted an automatic accept prior to the freeze. So now they are giving out the high priority waitlist instead of accepts. Then with the regular waitlist, in March you find out your placement (top 1/3, middle 1/3, and bottom 1/3). So being high priority is above the top 1/3 regular waitlist.

Basically, if you have already been told you are on the waitlist prior to now you will not switch to the high priority but you can still be in the top of the normal waitlist. To make things more confusing, the high priority can exceed the 25 remaining seats but it also can be less than the 25. Being on the high priority happens when your score hits the threshold that a few weeks ago would have granted you an acceptance. I hope this helps lol.
That helps but also makes me more pessimistic for our chances if we got put straight on the WL.

Would this freeze explain why I was offered an interview, but they still haven't sent a date for me to interview with them?

Would this freeze explain why I was offered an interview, but they still haven't sent a date for me to interview with them?
They do the freeze so that they can interview all of the candidates between now and the end and pick the best ones, so probably! There’s really not much difference between interviewing now and the rest of the cycle.

I received an Interview invite today. LizzyM score is 74, and I am a Minnesota resident from a very rural area. Complete 10/27. Does anyone know when the next available interviews were?

Last edited:
Accepted yesterday!!!! High GPA Low MCAT. I can't believe this. OOS too but a good fit with their mission. Guys and ladies, anything is possible. Stay hopeful and give 110% always.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday!!!! High GPA Low MCAT. I can't believe this. OOS too but a good fit with their mission. Guys and ladies, anything is possible. Stay hopeful and give 110% always.
CONGRATS!!! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

I received an Interview invite today. LizzyM score is 74, and I am a Minnesota resident from a very rural area. Complete 10/27. Does anyone know when the next available interviews were?
I received the initial "chosen for interview" email on 11/13 and they still haven't contacted me to schedule my live interview, so not sure! I will post the available dates once they contact me to schedule.

Edit 12/11: Scheduled my interview today- the earliest date available was 1/26/21 :) There were a few Tuesdays & Thursdays available after that.

Last edited:
That helps but also makes me more pessimistic for our chances if we got put straight on the WL.
Current student here! Plenty of students in my class came off the WL (including me) that were initially WL’d

Let me know if you have any questions about school at UMD. Congrats 😀

For those that were accepted many weeks ago, did you receive an acceptance packet (Offer of Admission Letter) in the mail or not?

Has everyone been hearing back post-interview within 8 weeks?

Edit: Thursday is my 8 week mark and I’m wondering if I should expect to hear back this week.

Last edited:
Has everyone been hearing back post-interview within 8 weeks?

Edit: Thursday is my 8 week mark and I’m wondering if I should expect to hear back this week.
Interviewed mid Nov, Accepted Dec 8th.

We were told 6-8weeks for a decision during the interview session. I would expect to hear back from them this week or in the next 2weeks, but only due to the holiday break. Good luck.