2020-2021 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back regarding scholarships?
So far I only see loan offers and I emailed to ask about scholarships and was told to watch the video again...

Does anyone know if NYMC students need to be BLS certified prior to matriculation, or at least shortly after?
I am a current student and at the end of my first year. We are doing the BLS certification online and in person course this week!

Does anyone know if classes will be all in-person?
Right now they are saying large groups on Zoom and small groups in person for next year! Of course subject to change. Large groups are usually pre-recorded zoom lectures to watch at your leisure which I honestly prefer to large lectures

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back regarding scholarships?
So far I only see loan offers and I emailed to ask about scholarships and was told to watch the video again...
Wondering about this too. Someone in the GroupMe chat said they called the financial aid office and they said Need Based Grants will be processed in a few weeks. Don't know if scholarships would be any different.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Was pulled from the waitlist last week after interviewing in November and being waitlisted in December.

Reactions: 5 users
As a graduating student from the program, I was very disappointed with the school. Other than good training, the school has a myriad of problems. Unlike most medical schools, the school DID NOT vaccinate their own students on rotations. As a 4th year I had to find vaccinations in the community while technically being in the hospital during COVID. The match rate is significantly lower than what they claim as a bunch of students "match" every year via the SOAP process, i.e. a preliminary year in medicine or surgery and have to reapply. In addition, the school provides no notice. Ex: the admin today informed us we are allowed guests to a graduation ceremony with three days notice. You will get good training and see a lot, but be warned about the dysfunction that will lie ahead.
This is a little concerning to me. Do you have an estimate of how many students have to go through SOAP? And is there any specific reason why? Are they simply scoring poorly on boards, or does the school reputation sour chances at residency?

As a graduating student from the program, I was very disappointed with the school. Other than good training, the school has a myriad of problems. Unlike most medical schools, the school DID NOT vaccinate their own students on rotations. As a 4th year I had to find vaccinations in the community while technically being in the hospital during COVID. The match rate is significantly lower than what they claim as a bunch of students "match" every year via the SOAP process, i.e. a preliminary year in medicine or surgery and have to reapply. In addition, the school provides no notice. Ex: the admin today informed us we are allowed guests to a graduation ceremony with three days notice. You will get good training and see a lot, but be warned about the dysfunction that will lie ahead.
This is a little concerning to me. Do you have an estimate of how many students have to go through SOAP? And is there any specific reason why? Are they simply scoring poorly on boards, or does the school reputation sour chances at residency?

This is also very concerning to me
Can any other current or graduated student comment on this?
I’m not sure what to do with this information exactly as well, since this is my only acceptance lol

Last edited by a moderator:
This is also very concerning to me
Can any other current or graduated student comment on this?
I’m not sure what to do with this information exactly as well, since this is my only acceptance lol

Current M3 (rising M4)- I don’t think this years match was as strong as previous years, and I think there are ways the school could’ve responded to COVID better. That being said, the match results are public, and you can judge for yourself what they look like. I’ve been pretty happy with my experience at NYMC, mostly from great experiences with my classmates. Feel free to PM with questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Current M3 (rising M4)- I don’t think this years match was as strong as previous years, and I think there are ways the school could’ve responded to COVID better. That being said, the match results are public, and you can judge for yourself what they look like. I’ve been pretty happy with my experience at NYMC, mostly from great experiences with my classmates. Feel free to PM with questions.
Was there a reason why the school didn’t vaccinate their own students on rotations? I honestly thought the school vaccinated all their students as soon as possible and wasn’t even aware of this

Just looked up the match lists again thanks. Maybe it’s because I’m no expert in residencies but I don’t seem to see much of a difference. Maybe it’s a bit more nuanced than what I’m seeing.

I do see that less students matched this year than in 2020 by 9 students. Does this mean the remaining class SOAPed? It seems like the competitive specialities such as derm, plastics, neurosurg, etc had similar numbers but some were just a bit higher for the 2020 class.
I know location matters as well but I’m not well versed enough on each institution to determine how prestigious they are yet

Do you mind shedding some light on what I may not be seeing here? Thank you so much

Was there a reason why the school didn’t vaccinate their own students on rotations? I honestly thought the school vaccinated all their students as soon as possible and wasn’t even aware of this

Just looked up the match lists again thanks. Maybe it’s because I’m no expert in residencies but I don’t seem to see much of a difference. Maybe it’s a bit more nuanced than what I’m seeing.

I do see that less students matched this year than in 2020 by 9 students. Does this mean the remaining class SOAPed? It seems like the competitive specialities such as derm, plastics, neurosurg, etc had similar numbers but some were just a bit higher for the 2020 class.
I know location matters as well but I’m not well versed enough on each institution to determine how prestigious they are yet

Do you mind shedding some light on what I may not be seeing here? Thank you so much

On vaccinations: NYMC does currently offer vaccines for students, and has been performing regular testing. Six months ago they communicated with students that we would not be eligible to receive a vaccine through WMC as there was a shortage, which delayed many students from being vaccinated. Luckily, many students were able to become vaccinated through NYC Health & Hospitals, and we now can get vaccinated directly from NYMC (although most M3s I knew were already vaccinated by the time this option became available). I was fully vaccinated by February.

I honestly can't speak much to the match list itself as I am not in the class and any information I have is based on rumor more than fact, or my subjective impression, which you can make yourself. Unfortunately, the overall match is becoming more competitive every year. The class size itself doesn't tell you much, because it can fluctuate with students taking research years etc, and it's my understanding that it was very popular to take a research year this cycle given the unpredictable nature of this past year.

Please know that getting into any medical school is a challenge in itself, and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. I'm happy to answer general questions in the forum, or more specific questions via DM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On vaccinations: NYMC does currently offer vaccines for students, and has been performing regular testing. Six months ago they communicated with students that we would not be eligible to receive a vaccine through WMC as there was a shortage, which delayed many students from being vaccinated. Luckily, many students were able to become vaccinated through NYC Health & Hospitals, and we now can get vaccinated directly from NYMC (although most M3s I knew were already vaccinated by the time this option became available). I was fully vaccinated by February.

I honestly can't speak much to the match list itself as I am not in the class and any information I have is based on rumor more than fact, or my subjective impression, which you can make yourself. Unfortunately, the overall match is becoming more competitive every year. The class size itself doesn't tell you much, because it can fluctuate with students taking research years etc, and it's my understanding that it was very popular to take a research year this cycle given the unpredictable nature of this past year.

Please know that getting into any medical school is a challenge in itself, and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. I'm happy to answer general questions in the forum, or more specific questions via DM.
Thank you for explaining all of this to me and taking time to reply. I really appreciate the openness.

Ah I see what you mean with the vaccinations. I guess for me at least that’s understandable during a pandemic that a shortage might occur and as long as administration was transparent with that, I can understand. However, I can also understand the frustration students may have because of said shortage. The entire pandemic just affects so many facets of life and it’s been tough year for everyone 😕

It sort of reminds me of an MMI practice scenario from BeMo’s website for when I was preparing for this interview haha:

“There is an outbreak of an incredibly contagious life-threatening disease. The disease is spreading across the country at a rapid rate and the survival rate is less than 50%. You are a senior health care administrator, and when the vaccine is developed, you have priority to receive the drug. Do you take the vaccine yourself or give it to another person? Why or why not?” 😬

Thanks for the clarification on the match rates. Your opinion as a current student definitely means something to me. Your kind words are very encouraging for anyone reading.

If I have any more questions I’ll be sure to DM you. Best of luck to finishing 3rd year and godspeed on your residency applications come your 4th year!

Can't really ask for much other than the opportunity for "good training" and getting to "see a lot." Beyond that, match results and performance are much more dependent on individual drive and accomplishment. Most current students I've spoken to only had good things to say about the administration - even their COVID response. I was described weekly town halls and transparency on what information they were working with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do we know if the class is full?
I’m not entirely sure 😕

The Facebook group has had more people in it before than currently right now

And I haven’t received any information from the administration that the class is full either

Sorry I can’t be much of any help.
I will say that last year, WL movement was happening until late June

Good luck to everyone still waiting

Just withdrew my acceptance. Was pulled from the waitlist last week after interviewing in November and being waitlisted in December.
I also interviewed in November and was waitlisted in December; can I ask when you got off the wait-list?

Also, did you send any update letters?

I also interviewed in November and was waitlisted in December; can I ask when you got off the wait-list?

Also, did you send any update letters?
They posted about 2 weeks ago when they were taken off the waitlist. Sadly it seems nymc since it’s unranked, they are going through random parts of the wl with some people getting off after recently being WL in March. I also interviewed in nov and was wl end of nov but have not gotten off the wl. I sent updates and LOI too.

Got accepted off the waitlist, decided to decline the offer. Hopefully the spot goes to one of y'all!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all. Is there an accepted students groupme or anything? Thanks in advance!

Hi! Did everyone here submit 3 letters? Did anyone submit 4?
You may get more answers if you post in 2022 page.
NYMC does not have any limits on number of maximum letters. But if you don't have a committee letter, then you must submit at least three. Two from science and one from non-science. I believe they also have a requirement to submit a letter from any post graduate studies. I'm not too sure on the latter.

hey does anyone know if there is a possibility to get a tour of the school? i'm an accepted student

hey does anyone know if there is a possibility to get a tour of the school? i'm an accepted student
I'd post on the fb group, there aren't official tours happening rn but current students are happy to help out.

• Care
Just accepted off the WL this afternoon! There's always hope guys!

Reactions: 4 users
CTE deadline is today-does anybody think there is any hope for waitlist movement after today?

Has anyone here heard of the Early Assurance Program?

I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools, and I got an email today stating that NYMC rejected me for this year, but accepted me for the class entering in 2022. All I'd need to do is file an AMCAS application for NYMC's early decision program, and they'd accept me.

I'm having a hard time finding anything online; if anyone knows about the program please DM me.

I'm waitlisted at 2 other schools, and I got an email today stating that NYMC rejected me for this year, but accepted me for the class entering in 2022. All I'd need to do is file an AMCAS application for NYMC's early decision program, and they'd accept me.

I'm having a hard time finding anything online; if anyone knows about the program please DM me.
Hey I received the same thing and accepted the offer! You are accepted to their next class. I think they do this because they anticipated more movement and wanted you in their school. If you look on previous threads, they’ve done this before.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Take the offer - travel the world and wait till we’ve fully recovered from covid

Reactions: 2 users
I have a friend who was interviewing for higher ed jobs (so not med ed) but it was during COVID. His first interview was a group interview and the director asked everyone to “stand for a warm up activity.” One person didn’t stand because they weren’t wearing pants.

Wear pants. It will put you in the professional mindset, too.
I feel like he could have just angled the camera up and stood...