2020-2021 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
How many characters should we aim for on the secondary? I got to about 2500 but am unsure if adding more will just lead to "fluff".

Another concern: Why does NEOMED require 2 semesters of Orgo Lab?

How many characters should we aim for on the secondary? I got to about 2500 but am unsure if adding more will just lead to "fluff".

I personally had 3800. I felt pretty good about that number without much fluff.
Another concern: Why does NEOMED require 2 semesters of Orgo Lab?
Their BS/MD and Bacc/MD students are required to, that's probably why.

Reactions: 1 user
"The admission team will conduct a review of your AMCAS transcript level data to prepare your file for the next review stages. This will probably take anywhere from a day to a week, depending upon the current volume. We will send you a short update when that is complete."

Complete 7/31 and still no update email from them. Has anyone here rec'd one? IS student

[/QUOTE]
So traditional MD applicants are not required to have 2 orgo labs? I may have to email them and ask.

So traditional MD applicants are not required to have 2 orgo labs? I may have to email them and ask.
[/QUOTE]
I believe all applicants are required. Clarification is never bad tho

"The admission team will conduct a review of your AMCAS transcript level data to prepare your file for the next review stages. This will probably take anywhere from a day to a week, depending upon the current volume. We will send you a short update when that is complete."

Complete 7/31 and still no update email from them. Has anyone here rec'd one? IS student
I completed mine on 08/11, still no update from the email you quoted here. I cannot imagine the volume is too large at this point. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Does anyone know whether lack of a second orgo lab will bar you from receiving the secondary? This is essentially the only secondary I haven’t received.

Does anyone know whether lack of a second orgo lab will bar you from receiving the secondary? This is essentially the only secondary I haven’t received.
I received a secondary and still have yet to take the 2nd Orgo lab. So I assume it does not bar you.

I received a secondary and still have yet to take the 2nd Orgo lab. So I assume it does not bar you.
That makes sense, maybe they’re giving me a pre-secondary R. I haven’t been able to find a good email to reach out to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes sense, maybe they’re giving me a pre-secondary R. I haven’t been able to find a good email to reach out to them.
I have not emailed them yet but was planning to at this email: [email protected]

Otherwise maybe try giving them a call?

EDIT: Just realized they don’t have phone services available I think.

Last edited:
Just got an email today basically saying that silence is normal and basically not to contact them about the status of your app. The gist I got is if you don't hear anything, you could be rejected but you could also not be lol. I submitted a few days ago

I have not emailed them yet but was planning to at this email: [email protected]

Otherwise maybe try giving them a call?

EDIT: Just realized they don’t have phone services available I think.
I think I’m going to reach out just to have some confirmation. Thank you for the email address!

So it the consensus that we can't really see any portal updates unless we get an email from them for an II? how do we know if were complete lol

I have not received a secondary yet. Does this mean it is a pre-secondary rejection or that they are still looking at my app?

I have not received a secondary yet. Does this mean it is a pre-secondary rejection or that they are still looking at my app?
I’m in the same boat. I emailed them last week so hopefully will have a response soon.

Just got an email today basically saying that silence is normal and basically not to contact them about the status of your app. The gist I got is if you don't hear anything, you could be rejected but you could also not be lol. I submitted a few days ago

Got the same email today, just as my inbox was hit with 2 pre-secondary R's (for GPA if I'm being honest). My heart sank, then went back up, then sunk again. I'm guessing they'll put me in the "uncertain" pile and will hold off rejecting or sending a secondary until my next MCAT comes in.:shrug:

Looking to also apply to their Bacc/MD once it opens mid september.

Still no secondary, thinking about reaching out.. verified 6/28

Complete email rec’d today (25 days following submission of my secondary) stating they received my CASPer score which they have had for months.

Reactions: 1 users
Received an email at 8:25 EST saying my CASPER was received and that my application is ready for ~holistic~ review. (Little strange since I took my CASPER in June but maybe this is just them marking applications complete as they come in?)

Also in the email:
“We will be ranking candidates following holistic screening and offering interview invitations on a rolling basis from mid-August this fall until January 2021”

Interesting that they’re stopping interviews earlier this cycle (I know they interviewed through Feb last cycle), and they appear to be starting interviews later this cycle too (last cycle I received II on 8/15 and interviewed on their first interview day 9/11).

Complete email rec’d today (25 days following submission of my secondary) stating they received my CASPer score which they have had for months.

Same exact scenario. Probably means someone is finally taking a look at your app and checking stuff off.

"II's will be sent out in Mid-August..." sure Jim ;)

So it the consensus that we can't really see any portal updates unless we get an email from them for an II? how do we know if were complete lol
I got an email from them when my secondary was complete and when they received my CASPer score.

Anyone have an idea as to what to write for the single 5000 char secondary prompt? It's so open-ended and I frankly know little of the school and did not find their website to offer much in the way of hints. I have the ECs you would expect an applicant to draw from. What I'm sort of asking is do you think they are research, clinical experience, service, character etc etc FIRST? Or would I be best served by appropriating the Cornell/UCSD "life story" essay for them. Any input appreciated.

• Sad
What's sad, OJ? I was willing to do the research, their site just is very generic and needs a bit of work. Not saying it reflects badly upon the school.

Anyone have an idea as to what to write for the single 5000 char secondary prompt? It's so open-ended and I frankly know little of the school and did not find their website to offer much in the way of hints. I have the ECs you would expect an applicant to draw from. What I'm sort of asking is do you think they are research, clinical experience, service, character etc etc FIRST? Or would I be best served by appropriating the Cornell/UCSD "life story" essay for them. Any input appreciated.

Are you in-state? Any connections to Northeast Ohio at all? NEOMED is pretty specific in what it wants to produce- competent physicians who want to practice primary care in Northeastern Ohio. My essay largely discussed my connections to NEO and how I desire to stay in the area because my family and my wife’s family is from here. I also discuss how I want to do research especially in specific areas that NEOMED does research in. I also talk about how I have heard great things from the many many students I know at NEOMED about their curriculum. Tbh you don’t need to know much about the school itself, just sell why you would be interested in living in/practice in NEO.

To be frank, if I wasn’t from NEO/have connections to NEO I wouldn’t bother applying here. That’s just my opinion though.

Hey thanks for the background. Yeah it's a safety school for me, but, again, don't mean to imply any disrespect for the institution. A doc I worked with for a long time went there, after transferring from a school in Mexico actually, but he's American so got into MD school by skin of his teeth. Great doc though, shows you what admissions process is worth...that and innumerable examples going one way or the other.

I applied to all the OH public schools because they grant in-state tuition after a single year, so for financial reasons.

Of course, they do accept OOS students of course just a low number of them. I know a few OOS students personally who had no prior connections, I think if you can sell your desire to practice in Ohio then you’d be fine. I definitely think you could mention that doc (by name or not) to give them an idea of where you heard of the school and why the interest. I probably was a little harsh with my wording when I said don’t bother applying, but I more meant apply to a more OOS friendly school in place of NEOMED.

A doc I worked with for a long time went there, after transferring from a school in Mexico actually, but he's American so got into MD school by skin of his teeth.

Hmmm. I shadowed a doc that did the same. American who had to start @ Mexican medical school then transferred to finish in the states. An amazing journey all the way to chief surgical resident. Who knew this guy (who couldn't be bothered to study in undergrad and needed a second degree to bring up his grades to get into Mexican MD school) would eventually make an excellent surgeon? Plus, he had no choice but to become fluent in Spanish...ended up helping him later in life when he worked in critical care.

Couldn't do that nowadays. It was difficult to transfer back then, and now it's essentially impossible.

Are you in-state? Any connections to Northeast Ohio at all? NEOMED is pretty specific in what it wants to produce- competent physicians who want to practice primary care in Northeastern Ohio. My essay largely discussed my connections to NEO and how I desire to stay in the area because my family and my wife’s family is from here. I also discuss how I want to do research especially in specific areas that NEOMED does research in. I also talk about how I have heard great things from the many many students I know at NEOMED about their curriculum. Tbh you don’t need to know much about the school itself, just sell why you would be interested in living in/practice in NEO.

To be frank, if I wasn’t from NEO/have connections to NEO I wouldn’t bother applying here. That’s just my opinion though.

this might be a dated version of what the school is looking for imo. In the interview last year they very explicitly said NEOMED has seen rapid change as far as who they are and what they’re looking for. They now boast a pretty impressive match list around the country in a host of specialities. They’ve increased OOS enrollment considerably. My interviewers themselves (all alum) were in radiology, EM, and neurosurgery, so I think NEOMED is moving away from the myopic “rural primary care” label so swiftly attributed to them.

I’d encourage anyone interested in applying to give them a shot, and yes ofc they favor IS/in-region applicants as do all public schools but by no means is being OOS prohibitive or exclusionary. Personally I was passed up by many applicants on the WL who had no ties at all but must have impressed them with their applications

Reactions: 2 users
this might be a dated version of what the school is looking for imo. In the interview last year they very explicitly said NEOMED has seen rapid change as far as who they are and what they’re looking for. They now boast a pretty impressive match list around the country in a host of specialities. They’ve increased OOS enrollment considerably. My interviewers themselves (all alum) were in radiology, EM, and neurosurgery, so I think NEOMED is moving away from the myopic “rural primary care” label so swiftly attributed to them.

I’d encourage anyone interested in applying to give them a shot, and yes ofc they favor IS/in-region applicants as do all public schools but by no means is being OOS prohibitive or exclusionary. Personally I was passed up by many applicants on the WL who had no ties at all but must have impressed them with their applications
That’s fair they could have changed their approach. They definitely have made good decisions recently in ditching their BSMD program IMO. I just probably am biased with my experience of having friends apply when they were super primary care focused but I graduated a while ago now.

I will say it will be difficult for them to ditch the rural care stigma since their school is in Rootstown of all places haha

I'm glad (in a bittersweet way) to see others still haven't received a secondary yet but also got the "be patient" email. Hopefully that means they really do screen/review holistically and a secondary means true interest.

Finally received a secondary today and was complete since early July!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my secondary a little while ago, OOS. Now I'm wishing I'd prewritten, I'd just kinda thought I was gonna get ghosted by them.

Does anyone know if this school accepts update letters?

Current M1 here! was a traditional admit that went through the process last cycle and was an OOS with no ties in Ohio. I will be willing to answer any questions you may have!

Current M1 here! was a traditional admit that went through the process last cycle and was an OOS with no ties in Ohio. I will be willing to answer any questions you may have!
Hi! Thanks for offering advice.

What are the main factors the admissions looks at for OOS?

I am OOS but have a pretty low 500s MCAT, do I have a chance here? I do have a 3.6 GPA and pretty good service experience (1000hrs in community clinic).

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for offering advice.

What are the main factors the admissions looks at for OOS?

I am OOS but have a pretty low 500s MCAT, do I have a chance here? I do have a 3.6 GPA and pretty good service experience (1000hrs in community clinic).

Hey! sorry for the delay but here is my response:

I was in similar position as you when I applied last cycle to NEOMED (low 500 MCAT and 3.6/3.7 sGPA/cGPA, but had numerous activities for community service especially with the underserved communities). I would say you still have a shot if your mission aligns with NEOMED's mission (which is still serving an underserved community since where we are located at, it is medically underserved. Even though NEOMED is shifting their image/mission, their core mission is still serving the underserved).

I think what made me stand out was my unique background and my experience with the underserved community since I had lots to talk about and connect it back to my upbringings. I believe they love any unique aspect that you could bring to NEOMED. if you are able to show what you can contribute and help Ohio then I would say you are set!

Let me know if you need any clarification!

Hey! sorry for the delay but here is my response:

I was in similar position as you when I applied last cycle to NEOMED (low 500 MCAT and 3.6/3.7 sGPA/cGPA, but had numerous activities for community service especially with the underserved communities). I would say you still have a shot if your mission aligns with NEOMED's mission (which is still serving an underserved community since where we are located at, it is medically underserved. Even though NEOMED is shifting their image/mission, their core mission is still serving the underserved).

I think what made me stand out was my unique background and my experience with the underserved community since I had lots to talk about and connect it back to my upbringings. I believe they love any unique aspect that you could bring to NEOMED. if you are able to show what you can contribute and help Ohio then I would say you are set!

Let me know if you need any clarification!
Thank you for the response! Your profile matches mine a lot so I have hope now! I am ORM but have a low SES status and have experience with the underserved.

EDIT: lol just realized you are OOS

Last edited: