2020-2021 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry, which email is this exactly?

Jim Barrett's -his email is in one of the virtual interview emails, at the bottom.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been putting off this secondary because I haven't been able to write 5000 characters about this school. I know it doesn't have to be exactly 5000 but I have around 2500 at the moment and I feel that's too low. Anyone have any insight?

I've been putting off this secondary because I haven't been able to write 5000 characters about this school. I know it doesn't have to be exactly 5000 but I have around 2500 at the moment and I feel that's too low. Anyone have any insight?

I think I wrote close to 5000 characters, but I had a lot to say about the school (also I have been called "wordy" but many professors lol). If you can fit everything you want to say in 2500 characters, then I'm sure that's fine. They probably would appreciate brevity over fluff.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wrote a horrible essay that was like 2000 characters last year and got interviewed, but despite pretty good interviews was ranked low (or high, I guess? ranked badly anyway lol) on the WL and so I feel like that could have led to my demise. So I don't think it's a death sentence but I would make sure what you have is definitely high qualify if you're going in short

Since it's already October, do you guys think it would be too late to apply to this school? I did not send my primary app to them because I was worried about being oos but I have ties to the area so am wondering if it is worth it

Since it's already October, do you guys think it would be too late to apply to this school? I did not send my primary app to them because I was worried about being oos but I have ties to the area so am wondering if it is worth it
There are folks who have yet to interview and the timing of everything is off because of COVID, so if you think you have strong ties and like the school, you should definitely go for it!

I went to the interviewed students Q&A yesterday and they said they had already sent out 400 interviews...which is more than they did the entire cycle that MSAR shows. Feeling a bit discouraged by that information since they have limited spots anyways due to BS/MD students.

• Sad
I went to the interviewed students Q&A yesterday and they said they had already sent out 400 interviews...which is more than they did the entire cycle that MSAR shows. Feeling a bit discouraged by that information since they have limited spots anyways due to BS/MD students.

I was wondering how I was going to wait until December to hear... but I guess it's better knowing that an acceptance is a long shot considering the # of interviews and whatnot. Although I thought they said they decreased the BS/MD students this year?

I was wondering how I was going to wait until December to hear... but I guess it's better knowing that an acceptance is a long shot considering the # of interviews and whatnot. Although I thought they said they decreased the BS/MD students this year?
I was stressed about waiting until December too, but I think I will just keep my hopes low and be surprised with any good news! I think you're right, there are less BS/MD students this year! I just don't remember how many less.

I was stressed about waiting until December too, but I think I will just keep my hopes low and be surprised with any good news! I think you're right, there are less BS/MD students this year! I just don't remember how many less.

The other bit of good news is that it sounds like they go through a good portion of their waitlist... from last year's thread it looked like pretty much everyone was either accepted or waitlisted post-interview (in one of the videos they said they rarely outright reject students post-interview unless they seem like a bad fit). So I guess I'll stick with a mix of pessimistic optimism and pragmatism lol.

I was under the impression that the BS/MD program was cancelled all together this year, and replaced by a different program (at least that's what a current neomed student told me). Could be wrong though.

I was under the impression that the BS/MD program was cancelled all together this year, and replaced by a different program (at least that's what a current neomed student told me). Could be wrong though.

My understanding is the BS/MD program is done, but they have agreements with surrounding colleges for early acceptance/assurance... so it's like the same thing sort of.

My understanding is the BS/MD program is done, but they have agreements with surrounding colleges for early acceptance/assurance... so it's like the same thing sort of.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. The MSAR data for matriculation says that last year there were only 4 people from the early assurance program in the class so maybe that's why they're interviewing more people this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the BS/MD program to my knowledge has been phased out, but there are a number of pathway programs that still require interviews and an a certain MCAT score to be guaranteed admission upon graduation from the connected university/college. There are quite a few pathway students in my class, but a lot of traditional admits as well!

Just finished my interview and good lord that was a trainwreck. I can't even pinpoint why it was so bad I just kept getting really off track and then I would consciously notice how off track I was but that would distract me from my answer and then my words just became an unintelligible mess. It's hard to maintain your composure when you're recording one of the most important videos of your life. I really like this school too; I'm so disappointed that these horrid video segments are the only interaction they get with me.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
has there been another batch of interviews sent for this school? really a top choice of mine haha

gotcha, yea bc on the interview tracker sheet there doesnt seem to be many II sent so far, so i guess theres still hope to hear something from them lol

According to reddit, people are putting fake II's/stats/info into the tracker so I would really only take it with a tiny grain of salt. But my impression is they haven't sent many out so far. According to my advisor, there should be another wave of II's from all schools early next week (first week after 10/15).

• Wow
According to reddit, people are putting fake II's/stats/info into the tracker so I would really only take it with a tiny grain of salt. But my impression is they haven't sent many out so far. According to my advisor, there should be another wave of II's from all schools early next week (first week after 10/15).
+1 on the interview tracker. I haven't opened it since I entered my first interview for a school that had only Wednesday interviews, and there were many entries for days other than Wednesday lol.

Reactions: 3 users
STATS/INTERVIEW/WAITLIST

For anyone wanting more information on actual stats, the interview, and waitlist process for last year!

I saw there have been a lot of people putting down stats that are very high and wanted to offer assurances to everyone out there that this school still considers those that don't have a 315 MCAT. I have a 3.9 science GPA, 502 MCAT and was still considered for this school last year even though I am OOS and have no significant ties to the area.

After interviewing I talked with a lot of other students who felt like they did extremely well (this school generally prided itself on the conversational interview) however, most of us were waitlisted despite feeling like we nailed it. This year the only thing that changed for me was gaining clinical experience - as due to COVID my MCAT exam date was cancelled and I chose not to retake it later in the summer. As soon as I submitted my secondary I received an interview invite which makes me think there was a short list created last year for students who didn't get in and reapplied (total conjecture though).

As far as the waitlist is concerned, they let people know within several weeks and the waitlist is ranked. I don't know what information MSAR had but I was literally ranked 350 and I didn't even know the waitlist could go that high lol (sad I know). I also personally know several people who got off the waitlist at above 100 although I don't know how much COVID will affect the movement this year. Particularly because they can interview an increased number of students this year due to interviews being conducted virtually, in addition to charging for the interview, it seems like the waitlist will reflect this and just be very very big. I don't know if that is comforting or makes people feel worse but at least you have some facts!

As far as the STATS are concerned I don't believe my MCAT had anything to do with my low ranking. I know an OOS applicant who received a 503 on the MCAT, interviewed with myself in November of last year, was waitlisted around 100, and got off the waitlist in March. The difference was he had a masters degree, had more clinical experience, and really highlighted his activities in his primary.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 6 users
Just finished my interview and good lord that was a trainwreck. I can't even pinpoint why it was so bad I just kept getting really off track and then I would consciously notice how off track I was but that would distract me from my answer and then my words just became an unintelligible mess. It's hard to maintain your composure when you're recording one of the most important videos of your life. I really like this school too; I'm so disappointed that these horrid video segments are the only interaction they get with me.

Hey, don't stress too much over it! I had an absolutely horrible response to one of the earlier questions and it psyched me out for the rest of the interview which I'm afraid will show through. But also, from my research on this school, the committee and faculty seem really forgiving in the sense that they appreciate a conversation and student's interest. So if that shined through, don't worry!! Take a break and have a day for yourself to decompress :')

• Care
LOOK OUT Y'ALL! I finally got my secondary from them! :clap:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Did we ever get a solid answer on that second Organic Chem lab? Do I need to sign up for a random Orgo lab next semester?

Hey everybody,
I'm an OOS (Georgia) applicant here and was wondering, if sending my primary here would be worth it at this time or is it too late? How OOS friendly is this school? Thank you all so much, and best of luck to all of you in this process!!! ..... :)

are you sure ? i think december 2nd is not the only day they release decisions, instead its their deadline.
They have stated a few times that they will have most decisions for the first round in mid-December. Which is v late to me but whatever lol

Reactions: 2 users
@stevmq I'm fairly certain they said mid-Dec is when decisions will be released. It's in one or two of their emails and they said it in their videos. They made it sound like they don't use true rolling-decisions, hence why decisions are getting released as a first batch in Dec and then another batch in the late winter/early spring (I wanna say mid Feb).

Just finished my interview (finally)!

I thought I had 4 very good answers and 2 sub-par answers.

Overall, the questions were enjoyable and easy enough. Knowing that they use a "bank" of questions means you can't really prepare for what they will throw at you. I did not have "why medicine", "why NEOMED", or anything to do with my application. My advice in preparing would be to know a good set of questions and answers to them (mine is about 20). If they come up, great! If not, you should be able to pull from some these questions to help answer what they give you. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi friends, I decided to not submit my secondary here. I won't be following the thread anymore, so if anyone wants to message me to keep in touch, feel free! Best of luck to everyone this cycle. :love:

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
II today, LM 65 and IS. Completed late September.

Reactions: 4 users
II today. IS and In-Region. Complete 10/13.

Hi NEOMED thread! I'm wondering what is the average turnaround time from submitting the secondary to receiving an II? Or a denial email?

I received my secondary on October 16th. I thought for certain I was rejected as it had been months and was so excited when I received the secondary! I submitted and received the "thank you for your secondary" email on October 19th, and today received the message they have my Casper score. (I sent them my Casper score when I took it in July where I selected my schools who required it.)

Thanks in advance!!! :)

Got the II today--my first MD invite!! IS with regional ties, LM 71, complete late August. Damn I was starting to get worried, but this is just a long cycle, it's going to work out.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Got the II today--my first MD invite!! IS with regional ties, LM 71, complete late August. Damn I was starting to get worried, but this is just a long cycle, it's going to work out.
Congratulations!! When is your interview?

Congratulations!! When is your interview?
It looks like all of the interviews right now are "February 1" but actually it's like a VITA style record yourself deal, and you have the great privilege of paying them $30 to look at it as well. Kind of a wacky system if you ask me

So I'm confused about the interview being on February 1st. They said if I want a decision this fall I should pick November 2 and if I want a decision in the spring i should pick a Februrary date but the only interview date available is February 1st

So I'm confused about the interview being on February 1st. They said if I want a decision this fall I should pick November 2 and if I want a decision in the spring i should pick a Februrary date but the only interview date available is February 1st
When I went to the portal today, February 1 was the only option, and the emails didn't even mention November. However, they did suggest completing within 2 weeks of the invite for timely processing.

The email mentioned that a decision can come before February 1st. They just needed to place a concrete February 1st date because of AAMC Portal constrictions.

Hi NEOMED thread! I'm wondering what is the average turnaround time from submitting the secondary to receiving an II? Or a denial email?

I received my secondary on October 16th. I thought for certain I was rejected as it had been months and was so excited when I received the secondary! I submitted and received the "thank you for your secondary" email on October 19th, and today received the message they have my Casper score. (I sent them my Casper score when I took it in July where I selected my schools who required it.)

It was around a two week turnaround from the time they received my Casper score (I finished my secondaries a couple weeks before this) and II. But this process varies greatly person to person so I wouldn‘t worry too much! From my understanding, decisions aren’t made until December.

Last edited:
  • Care

I submitted my secondary in the first week of September, received my II on 9/23. I'm not sure the timing of others' is a good gauge though, because NEOMED really does seem to screen holistically and because they do 2 rounds of decisions (winter and spring) rather than rolling admissions, interviewing later in the winter round shouldn't put you at a disadvantage.

• Care
Has anyone been to the Q+A sessions? I was going to try to attend the one tomorrow, but I have to work so I'd be doing it during my lunch hour and won't be able to dress as I would for an interview (or find a particularly quiet place).