2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Oakland University

Secondary Prompts 2020-2021:
Essays:
- How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth, and how would your experiences contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in our community? (400 words)
- Describe your motivation to attend OUWB. (250 words)
- Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
- Optional: If you are a reapplicant to OUWB, please describe improvements you have made to your current application from previous cycles (please include academics, experiences, and/or personal characteristics). (400 words)
- Please describe how the COVID-19 epidemic has impacted your preparation for medical school (positively and/or negatively). (400 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does having family in the Midwest qualify for the question of "If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities?"

Does having family in the Midwest qualify for the question of "If applicable, please describe any connections you have to the OUWB communities?"

I would not think that midwestern family qualifies as a connection to OUWB. I believe this would be in reference to physicians at Beaumont, faculty of OUWB, or some connection to their administration.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an email from them confirming they've received my application!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
secondary application invite about an hour ago!
Essays:
- How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth, and how would your experiences contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in our community? (400 words)
- Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
- Optional: If you are a reapplicant to OUWB, please describe improvements you have made to your current application from previous cycles (please include academics, experiences, and/or personal characteristics). (400 words)
- Please describe how the COVID-19 epidemic has impacted your preparation for medical school (positively and/or negatively). (400 words)

Reactions: 8 users
secondary application invite about an hour ago!
Essays:
Thanks!!

@TheDataKing

Reactions: 1 users
One of the prompts specifies to explain anything else relevant to only "your qualifications for medical school." Does this mean I can't address other information about my background that's non-academic/non-med school related?

I got the first confirmation email, but I have yet to receive a secondary? Is it b/c I haven't gotten my letters yet? Darn the committee letter lol

Edit: I got it July 10th

I got the first confirmation email, but I have yet to receive a secondary? Is it b/c I haven't gotten my letters yet? Darn the committee letter lol

me too confirmation received but no secondary yet rip. im also waiting on a CL, but isnt that due along with the secondary essays?

I got the confirmation email back on July 10th and I had all my letters sent back in May and I still dont have the secondary either

Damn were they just like "ahaha sike we don't want you" lmaoo?

Sorry to bombard the thread, but thank you all, this makes me feel a lot better, truly! I guess they give out secondaries randomly?

I emailed admissions and they said that there was an issue with the portal. They're working with the vendor and hope to have secondaries out to qualifying applicants next week. Hang tight, friends!

Reactions: 6 users
To the people stressing about not getting their secondaries yet, idk if this helps but I got my secondary July 10th, and theres a glitch that doesn't let you submit the secondary because it says you haven't paid even when you do. I emailed them and they said a lot of ppl are having this problem and they're working to fix it. So yea if you havent gotten one yet, just know that most ppl prob cant even submit them so youre chillin.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
To the people stressing about not getting their secondaries yet, idk if this helps but I got my secondary July 10th, and theres a glitch that doesn't let you submit the secondary because it says you haven't paid even when you do. I emailed them and they said a lot of ppl are having this problem and they're working to fix it. So yea if you havent gotten one yet, just know that most ppl prob cant even submit them so youre chillin.

Thanks for the update! It’s strange, I’ve had 4-5 schools have this same problem this year...

I got an email from Oakland thinking it was their secondary but it was just a generic email :oops:

If there are any current students lurking...

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Rochester? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? Is it possible to live outside the city easily?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

I also received a secondary on July 10th, and have been unable to submit it because of this problem. I paid, but the app still doesn’t let me hit submit. I hope they are able to resolve it soon.

Last edited:
Here's what i got from the admissions team for anyone who hasn't received secondary yet:

"Thank you for your interest in OUWB School of Medicine. We are currently experiencing issues with our admissions portal and are working with our vendor to rectify these before we send out any supplemental applications. We are hopeful that we will be able to start sending out invitations to all who qualify starting later this week. In the meantime, we thank you for your patience."

Reactions: 4 users
Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?
Hey I had the same thing happen and I just sent them an update letter via email :)

I see on MSAR that they require a course in social or behavioral sciences, and that prerequisite coursework taken at a community college should be followed by higher level coursework at a 4 year university. So if I just have one psych course from a community college, is it not worth my time applying here? I had one upper level course that was sort of psych, but not really
you could call the admissions office and ask. it seems sometimes they're willing to be more lenient about these requirements

Hey I still haven’t received a secondary, not sure why? Anyone else in a similar position

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I still haven’t received a secondary, not sure why? Anyone else in a similar position

I think they're having some sort of problem on their side from what I've heard, so hang tight! I also don't have one either lol

Secondary received! OOS

Do they send secondaries in random waves? Still haven't received mine, OOS

anyone having trouble with the diveresity + serving others prompt? these are two separate essays that I already have, but i haven't seen a prompt in which i have to combine them.