2021-2022 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R. Complete in July, so I kind of expected this, lol. Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone got off the WL here yet?
Granted SDN is in no way representative of anything and I wasn't looking super carefully, but I believe I only saw one person in the fall comment that they got off the waitlist, and then in last year's thread, someone was waitlisted in February and got accepted in March... It looks like most movement happens after they tier us in April though :/

When will be their next meeting ? next Wednesday. I thought it was this week Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed 3/4 but haven't heard back yet...no phone call and no update in the portal. Hopefully this doesn't mean bad news but now I'm not feeling so great about it :(

Reactions: 1 user
I also interviewed 3/4 but haven't heard back yet...no phone call and no update in the portal. Hopefully this doesn't mean bad news but now I'm not feeling so great about it :(
I wouldn’t worry just yet, I remember reading on this thread that some people didn’t hear back for like 5-6 weeks. Lots of schools send acceptances a couple weeks apart to people from the same interview day. It’s a whacky process but keep your head up and you’ll get some good news eventually 🤞🏼

Interviewed 3/4 and haven’t heard back… getting nervous. Did anyone hear back this past Friday who interviewed 3/4 with an R? Is there still hope?

Anyone interview 3/11 that’s heard back yet?

Anyone interview 3/11 that’s heard back yet?
Nope, still radio silence. I was hoping to hear back in two weeks (3/25) since that looks like how long people who interviewed on 3/4 were getting decisions but that appears to not be the case for us.

Nope, still radio silence. I was hoping to hear back in two weeks (3/25) since that looks like how long people who interviewed on 3/4 were getting decisions but that appears to not be the case for us.
Yup I was thinking about last week too but some ISD post , ADCOM meets up on 1,3,5th of Wednesday of the month. So I guess this week will hear something. I hope.

Got the call today - A, OOS, LM72, WARS91. First of my life. Beyond thankful and wishing nothing but good news for all of you future doctors!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got the call today - A, OOS, LM72, WARS91. First of my life. Beyond thankful and wishing nothing but good news for all of you future doctors!
Congrats…when did you interview? And were you on the waitlist?

Got my WL tier!
+ 3

Also got waitlist tier. Does anyone know how likely it is to get off the first tier?
A few people have answered this much better than me, and apparently it varies quite a bit each year, but one poster said they were told they typically take around half of the 1st tier, but they nearly always take people off of the 2nd tier without exhausting the 1st tier. Also in my interview the dean said they've never taken anyone off of the 3rd tier.

+ 3

A few people have answered this much better than me, and apparently it varies quite a bit each year, but one poster said they were told they typically take around half of the 1st tier, but they nearly always take people off of the 2nd tier without exhausting the 1st tier. Also in my interview the dean said they've never taken anyone off of the 3rd tier.
Yeah I dont know if this is standard at Oakland but they seem to have over-accepted for their class. For a class of 125 it looks like they have given out about 170 acceptances roughly. so obviously that will stall WL movement

Looks like they released tiers earlier this year compared to last year... anyone know when WL movement will start to pick up? is there anyone that has gotten off the waitlist yet?

hiiii yall is there groupme or forum for accepted students???? Thank you in advance!!

do LOIs hold weight here? I was placed on the first tier waitlist and really would love to go here!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Im about to finish up M1 here if anyone has any questions im happy to chat!

Do you feel like there are adequate shadowing opportunities available to M1s? And do you feel like the professor written exams will prepare you well for STEP now that it's pass/fail?
Hi Im about to finish up M1 here if anyone has any questions im happy to chat!

i think there are plenty of shadowing opportunities, especially because a lot of the faculty (after the first semester) are physicians so you can email them and set up some shadowing. as for the professor written exams, im not really sure because I haven't taken step yet, but there's not really a huge difference between the professor written stuff and step 1 questions. I am frustrated by the decision to make all the exams professor written, as is every person i know here, but in the long run i don't think it matters that much. i use a lot of step 1 question banks and resources to prepare for our exams and it generally lines up content-wise. You'll just notice that some of the faculty are truly bizarre people who will word things really weird, convoluted ways and it gets frustrating.

To jump on the NBME vs professor written train as a M4:

It's really not that bad. Medical students just like to complain. Most medical schools actually use professor written exams and IMO the whole backlash to shifting over to professor written is way out of proportion. First, the course directors had a bank of questions to choose from so it's not like they're really asking you questions they wouldn't be asking anyways. Second, the bank they're able to chose from are retired questions and these questions have been retired already. As someone who has taken Step1/2, I think the old NBME exam questions are a poor representation of the questions we get today.

I also think the STEP1/2 question banks are good to learn from but a poor representation of the actual exams. If you know the material, in UWorld, Amboss, etc. there is definitively 1 correct answer. However, on shelf and STEP exams, you never get the whole picture. Often times, in theory 2 or even 3 answers are possible and you just have to pick the most likely option. You can never definitively rule out some answers.

No matter what medical school you go to, I would only study boards material regardless of what your school does. You study board material 90% of the time and that will get you about 80% of the questions. I would usually flip through lectures to see what I needed to study. Then, two days before the class exam, skim through lectures and find the small stuff.

Yes some of the questions suck. But they're usually pretty reasonable about question contestations.

I just withdrew my A from OUWB. I really love this school and truly hope my spot goes to one of you!! I have an IS option that I just cannot pass up. Best of luck to you all!!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
has anyone gotten off the waitlist here yet?
The GroupMe is dwindling in numbers and is currently at like 85 people out of 125 so I would expect there to be some movement soon

Reactions: 3 users
Have any of the accepted students received gifts in the mail? (OUWB carrying bag, water bottle, lanyard)