2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an interview coming up in a week and a half here - would it be beneficial to submit a letter of rec from a physician I'm currently scribing for at OHSU? One of my original letter writers is also a physician at OHSU, but I wonder if it would be helpful to have someone else who can vouch for my performance during my gap year job
I'm not sure if you're allowed to submit extra letters of rec, updates are allowed for those invited to interview though IIRC

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy moly! That’s a crazy fast turnaround for OHSU. Congratulations!! That’s awesome.

I interviewed 3/9 and thought I was crazy for checking my portal. Guess I’ll keep checking/hoping. 😅
Thank you! You're definitely not alone on that - I've been checking my portal every day since my interview and just happened to get lucky. Wishing you the best of luck though!! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will spring break mean no movement on status? 😭

OHSU moves soooo slow. I feel like at this point in the game it’s safer to assume you’ll hear during the last week of April. That is when the vast majority (see: 90+%) of decisions go out. People on Post-interview hold will definitely be on hold until that time 🤷🏼‍♀️ It’s definitely a very anxiety inducing waiting game but we’re almost there!

Reactions: 5 users
does anyone know when the school year starts for OHSU? including activities like welcome week? just curious :cat:

Are interview invites still being sent out?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Any MD/MPH applicants have updates? I know one student got accepted (posted a while back), but haven't heard much else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wondering this as well. Does this school send pre-II rejections?
Some OOS applicants have already received a pre-II R. They send them to IS too, but I haven’t seen any for this year yet. Unfortunately, OHSU uploads it to the portal and doesn’t send an email, so you’d have to check there periodically.

Any MD/MPH applicants have updates? I know one student got accepted (posted a while back), but haven't heard much else!
Have none of you been placed on hold either? How many of you are OOS and not part of another mission group?

I interviewed 3/11, and I believe the director said most decisions would be made in April. A couple more weeks to go!

Just checked my portal, is pre-ii R. I was expecting it, but pretty bummed out after being waitlisted last year. Good luck everyone! :)

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
Some OOS applicants have already received a pre-II R. They send them to IS too, but I haven’t seen any for this year yet. Unfortunately, OHSU uploads it to the portal and doesn’t send an email, so you’d have to check there periodically.
I see, thank you! Where on the portal does it indicate the decision?

Have none of you been placed on hold either? How many of you are OOS and not part of another mission group?

I interviewed 3/11, and I believe the director said most decisions would be made in April. A couple more weeks to go!
I'm in state but I'm not on hold either. I keep wondering if I should send a letter of intent!

Just checked my portal, is pre-ii R. I was expecting it, but pretty bummed out after being waitlisted last year. Good luck everyone! :)
Sorry to hear it. Are you IS? if so, can you share stats, etc?

IS applicant, just received pre-interview R on the portal. Was complete 9/29.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the number of people who get A’s outside of being pulled from a waitlist/alternate list?

They gave out about 250 A's last year with I believe 48 coming from the waitlist. So about 200 A's without waitlist (i.e., April 30 or earlier).

• Love
  • Care
Is it silly to still hold hope for an interview? I've been complete since September and still no news. I am in state and I've been frantically checking my portal for the R and nothing so far.

• Care
Just out of curiosity, could someone with MSAR access share the number of IS applied and the number of IS who received II for last cycle? The admission's website contains information from a few years ago.

Median MCAT: 512
Median GPA: 3.77

IS Applied: 509
IS Interviewed: 263
IS Matriculated: 103

OOS: 5995 - 301 - 46 (+ 7 MD/PhD)
International: 51 - 2 - 1

Pre-II R. IS average stats. Actually really devastated about this one

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Pre-II R yesterday. Honestly shocked. Luckily I have other acceptances, at programs I would have taken over OHSU.... but just taken back by the fact that my 2 years of working at OHSU and hundreds of hours of volunteering there didn't even land me an interview... not including that my personal statement included stories that very obviously occurred at OHSU....ANYWAYS! Best of luck to you all <3

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Pre-II R yesterday. Honestly shocked. Luckily I have other acceptances, at programs I would have taken over OHSU.... but just taken back by the fact that my 2 years of working at OHSU and hundreds of hours of volunteering there didn't even land me an interview... not including that my personal statement included stories that very obviously occurred at OHSU....ANYWAYS! Best of luck to you all <3

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm so glad you have other acceptances. I am a current MS1 at OHSU...but I got a pre-II R last year from a DO school where I would have been a third-generation student (my grandfather and my uncle went there and my uncle is a regular donor). Point is, you never know what's going to drive the process and you can't control it. Good luck in medical school next year and just trust that you'll end up in the right spot. :)

Last edited:
Are you in state? Also, do you mind me asking what programs you were accepted to that you would choose over OHSU?

Interviewed late Jan and still no news. What could this mean for me?

Interviewed late Jan and still no news. What could this mean for me?
OHSU is notoriously variable in terms of decisions. May just be your interviewer hasn’t met with the committee yet. Wouldn’t think too much about it, most movement happens in mid to late April anyway!

I'm in the same boat. Sent an email and they let me know things are moving pretty slowly this year! Hang in there!!
Ah thanks! I know some schools actually want you to email them in case you dont hear back after a certain period of time to ensure your application didnt get lost in the shuffle. I wasn't sure if that was the case with them too.

Ah it finally happened. The much dreaded R is here. I am IS and was complete in September. This was my top choice so this one hurts. Congrats to those who made it in!

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Ah it finally happened. The much dreaded R is here. I am IS and was complete in September. This was my top choice so this one hurts. Congrats to those who made it in!
+1 Complete in November. Disappointed as this was one of my top choices :(

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Pre-II R this morning. Complete 11/2, IS. Best of luck to everyone still in the running!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
APRIL IS HERE my friends!! THIS IS THE MONTH that decisions are made once and for all and we are brought out of hold purgatory!! Who else is excited and also a lil’ queasy??

Reactions: 8 users
APRIL IS HERE my friends!! THIS IS THE MONTH that decisions are made once and for all and we are brought out of hold purgatory!! Who else is excited and also a lil’ queasy??
Very queasy! Does any know if they continuously send decisions throughout April or if the majority of them are sent out in the last week of April?

Reactions: 2 users
So nervous!! But ready for the wait to be over for sure. I'm only at three weeks I can't imagine those who have been waiting since January!!

Reactions: 2 users