2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Coming up on 6 weeks post-ii tomorrow with complete silence. Is this a bad sign?
I interviewed on 12/15 and still have heard nothing .. I'm hoping it's not a bad sign, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed on 12/15 .. still haven't heard anything & getting nervous. Anyone else from this group of interviewees still waiting?

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed on 12/15 .. still haven't heard anything & getting nervous. Anyone else from this group of interviewees still waiting?
i interviewed 12/8, put on hold 12/18 and haven't heard anything since.. i am just assuming at this point that i won't hear until 4/30, but who knows

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn’t think too much of it, it’s super dependent on when your interviewer is able to meet with the adcom. In past years’ threads people have waited months before hearing back in late March/early April when there’s usually a lot of movement.

In our interview week this past week they told us that they were really behind and we'll probably hear at the end of April. They said that they were working on January/early Feb interviews I think? Also they said it depends when your interviewer has time to meet with the adcom. Maybe your interviewer just hasn't had time yet! Keep thinking positive :)

In our interview week this past week they told us that they were really behind and we'll probably hear at the end of April. They said that they were working on January/early Feb interviews I think? Also they said it depends when your interviewer has time to meet with the adcom. Maybe your interviewer just hasn't had time yet! Keep thinking positive :)
did you get any sense if there are more interviews to come, and if so for how long?

does anyone know how it works if you get an acceptance around 4/30 but also hold an acceptance at another school? it’s my understanding that you can only hold one acceptance to a school starting on 4/30, so does that mean you would have to make a quick decision in regard to OHSU?

Thank you for this info and the positive thinking!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know how it works if you get an acceptance around 4/30 but also hold an acceptance at another school? it’s my understanding that you can only hold one acceptance to a school starting on 4/30, so does that mean you would have to make a quick decision in regard to OHSU?
Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right that you have to make a decision that day, although the past couple of years a pretty significant amount of acceptances seem to have gone out on like the 28th so chances are good you'd have a couple days. Still not a long time by any stretch of the imagination

did you get any sense if there are more interviews to come, and if so for how long?
I didn't ask! Sorry I am not sure. From what I have heard from a friend that is an MS1 they are interviewing until April. They didn't say anything like "You're our last interview week" or anything like that

Members don't see this ad :)
Is being put on hold the same as waitlist?? Don’t you get an assigned position? Which is safe to assume under #30 and you’re in at some point?

Is being put on hold the same as waitlist?? Don’t you get an assigned position? Which is safe to assume under #30 and you’re in at some point?
The explanation that I've been given is that you're discussed after your interview and given a composite score. Then the people with composite scores above 90 (just an example, I don't actually know how this works) get accepted right away and the people with composite scores below (again I am throwing pretend numbers out here) 10 get rejected right away, and everyone in between gets put on 'hold'. So it really doesn't mean much. By April 30 you'll get another update that says accepted, rejected, or waitlist. And then May 1 the people on the wait list get their rank. Does that make sense?

Someone posted the excel spreadsheet of all the different years and how far along the waitlist they got above!

(open to any corrections from anyone who knows the process better than I do)

Reactions: 4 users

No, being on hold means they haven’t made a final decision. You could be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. The official waitlist doesn’t start until after April 30th. I think in previous years the top 40 had a decent shot?

edit: LupinLady has a great explanation! No one knows the exact score, but that’s the idea.

Is being put on hold the same as waitlist?? Don’t you get an assigned position? Which is safe to assume under #30 and you’re in at some point
The explanation that I've been given is that you're discussed after your interview and given a composite score. Then the people with composite scores above 90 (just an example, I don't actually know how this works) get accepted right away and the people with composite scores below (again I am throwing pretend numbers out here) 10 get rejected right away, and everyone in between gets put on 'hold'. So it really doesn't mean much. By April 30 you'll get another update that says accepted, rejected, or waitlist. And then May 1 the people on the wait list get their rank. Does that make sense?

Someone posted the excel spreadsheet of all the different years and how far along the waitlist they got above!

(open to any corrections from anyone who knows the process better than I do)
oh thank you so much! That clarifies a lot!!!!

Just got an II, completely surprised me this late in the cycle. OOS but grew up most of my life in Portland. Pretty excited but it's my first MMI interview so a little intimidated!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Just got an II, completely surprised me this late in the cycle. OOS but grew up most of my life in Portland. Pretty excited but it's my first MMI interview so a little intimidated!
Congrats!!! That's incredible, go kill it fam!

What day were you scheduled for?

Can I ask your stats and complete date? Congrats!

Has anyone heard of post II rejections being sent out yet?

I also just got an II. I am in shock. OOS with Many years as an Oregon resident and former OHSU student in another school.
Complete 11/10.

Reactions: 6 users
I am a mid-career Non-trad nurse. Stats are good. So, this will be interesting.

I am a mid-career Non-trad nurse. Stats are good. So, this will be interesting.
Yay congrats to you both!!! Best of luck! :)

Placed on hold 3/17/21, interviewed 12/7/20! At least they finally discussed my file 😅

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know if the IS acceptance rate to OHSU is higher than the overall ~40% rate for all applicants? Thanks

Does anyone know if the IS acceptance rate to OHSU is higher than the overall ~40% rate for all applicants? Thanks
They interview people who almost exclusively fit in with the mission based groups (Oregon Heritage) so I would say IS applicants have an easier time getting an interview. It’s kind of confusing and unknown if they treat Oregon Heritage people as in-state for statistics. Furthermore, they don’t breakdown how many IS vs OOS people they accept post-interview, but their website says that last year, 7% of applicants were IS but 84% of their last class was IS.

They interview people who almost exclusively fit in with the mission based groups (Oregon Heritage) so I would say IS applicants have an easier time getting an interview. It’s kind of confusing and unknown if they treat Oregon Heritage people as in-state for statistics. Furthermore, they don’t breakdown how many IS vs OOS people they accept post-interview, but their website says that last year, 7% of applicants were IS but 84% of their last class was IS.
Thanks! Would be interesting to know if they interview more or less than than 84% IS. AAMC reports 67% IS matriculated, which has me thinking that OHSU counts OS applicants with ties to OR as IS?

Just received an interview invite!!! MM1 on 4/1 with options for 1-on-1 3/31-4/1. Apparently this is the last week that they are interviewing.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
has anyone emailed their interviewer to ask their status on meeting with the admissions committee? Sounds bold but I think I might do it lol going on 8 weeks with no news post-ii

has anyone emailed their interviewer to ask their status on meeting with the admissions committee? Sounds bold but I think I might do it lol going on 8 weeks with no news post-ii
I have been told that reaching out to my interviewer (even after they encouraged me to do so) was not recommended. 😑

I’d advise against this. Kari didn’t even want us to send thank you’s directly to their email. I know it sucks to wait so long without a response, but hang in there! You’re not alone.

do not do this

Will everyone who interviewed hear back by 4/30 about whether they are accepted, waitlisted, or rejected? Including the people who interviewed at the end of March?

Finally got placed on hold, interviewed about 9 weeks ago.

For future students who will probably peruse this year's forum, I noticed today the portal has a note that says;

Please note: Updates submitted after the secondary application is complete may not impact your file.

So even though they accept updates, they might not look at them. I don't think it hurts to send them either way!

For future students who will probably peruse this year's forum, I noticed today the portal has a note that says;

Please note: Updates submitted after the secondary application is complete may not impact your file.

So even though they accept updates, they might not look at them. I don't think it hurts to send them either way!
That's interesting; mine sounds more definitive and reads "Please note that further updates will not reopen your file or change the committee's decision."

lol applied in mid september, radio silence for the past 7 months. Crazy to think I could have had a kid by the time they interview me if i get an interview lol
like im not even in the same place in my life anymore lol

• Haha
IS applicant with average stats. Interviewed on 3/11 and accepted on 3/19! Super excited as this is my dream school.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
IS applicant with average stats. Interviewed on 3/11 and accepted on 3/19! Super excited as this is my dream school.
Holy moly! That’s a crazy fast turnaround for OHSU. Congratulations!! That’s awesome.

I interviewed 3/9 and thought I was crazy for checking my portal. Guess I’ll keep checking/hoping. 😅

I have an interview coming up in a week and a half here - would it be beneficial to submit a letter of rec from a physician I'm currently scribing for at OHSU? One of my original letter writers is also a physician at OHSU, but I wonder if it would be helpful to have someone else who can vouch for my performance during my gap year job