2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friendly reminder for y'all - more than 80% of the class comes from people who have at some point been put on a hold. It's pretty irrelevant when you hear about that decision but <10% of the acceptances are pre-hold A. You are on the final stretch and good news is right around the corner. Go outside, take a deep breath, bask in the sun. Regardless of the outcome you are all amazing humans who will lead extraordinary lives. I know it feels like the end of the world but you got this.

Do you know when school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the calendar that the current first years (Med24) went by - should be more or less the same with the first week being around the second week of August. TTMS is Transition to Medical School, a one week long orientation that (pre-COVID) culminated in Friday being the White Coat Ceremony.

Attachments

• Class of 2024 academic calendar-DRAFT.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my A. Loved OHSU all my life but super disappointed by the admissions experience. I wish you all the best of luck and hopefully their office can figure things out a bit better in the future.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Got my financial aid package today. Do any other accepted students/current OHSU students know if they send out merit scholarships along with the package or do they send them after traffic day? Just wondering if I still have a shot at some scholarships or should I just expect what’s in the package currently

Withdrew my A. Loved OHSU all my life but super disappointed by the admissions experience. I wish you all the best of luck and hopefully their office can figure things out a bit better in the future.
I hope you have somewhere to go that you will love.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if we’ll have to wait until April 30th or if we’ll hear back sooner
Last year As began a couple days before 4/30 iirc. Around 4/28 or so and then some people got their ranked WL spot on 4/29 as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my financial aid package today. Do any other accepted students/current OHSU students know if they send out merit scholarships along with the package or do they send them after traffic day? Just wondering if I still have a shot at some scholarships or should I just expect what’s in the package currently

As far as I'm aware - there is no such thing as merit based scholarships at OHSU. What I was told is the package you are sent is pretty much what you get. There is a general scholarship fund that is divided amongst all students throughout the year (usually about $2-3k each). There are lots of opportunities to apply for individual scholarships at OHSU and abroad if you fit the bill.

Placed on hold today. Interviewed early March.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Placed on hold today. Interviewed early March!

• Care
Ngl y'all...the closer we get the higher more the nerves start kicking. Today was the day they really started to kick in

Reactions: 5 users
As of yesterday, I am a member of the on-hold group. What's the secret handshake? Joking aside, I interviewed in March. Wishing everyone the best!

I’m nervous not being on hold since my interview in early February
1619328736728.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Question - I see on the OHSU website that they specify $5,900 for major medical insurance. As an Oregonian, can we not just use the Oregon Health Plan, which is about $700 per year?

Also, what percentage of classes are at the upper campus?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Question - I see on the OHSU website that they specify $5,900 for major medical insurance. As an Oregonian, can we not just use the Oregon Health Plan, which is about $700 per year?

Thanks

Yep! You can definitely use OHP and a lot of students do.

In the first 18 months, assuming that lectures are happening in-person (right now they are not because of the pandemic), the vast majority of lectures happen at the RLSB, which is on the waterfront. We currently only go up the hill for anatomy, which takes up a couple of hours in the weeks when we have anatomy - usually something like twice a block. So in other words, very few classes happen up on the hill in the first 18 months.

Preceptorship in the first year may or may not be on the hill - it totally depends on the preceptorship.

Yep! You can definitely use OHP and a lot of students do.

In the first 18 months, assuming that lectures are happening in-person (right now they are not because of the pandemic), the vast majority of lectures happen at the RLSB, which is on the waterfront. We currently only go up the hill for anatomy, which takes up a couple of hours in the weeks when we have anatomy - usually something like twice a block. So in other words, very few classes happen up on the hill in the first 18 months.

Preceptorship in the first year may or may not be on the hill - it totally depends on the preceptorship.
How far ahead do you know your weekly schedules? I am not really counting preceptorship here, more things like lectures, and especially Anatomy and skills lab. And I understand the weekly exams have been remote during the pandemic, but I would assume they are usually required to be in person, right?

How far ahead do you know your weekly schedules? I am not really counting preceptorship here, more things like lectures, and especially Anatomy and skills lab. And I understand the weekly exams have been remote during the pandemic, but I would assume they are usually required to be in person, right?

Unfortunately, we only really find out about the details of our schedules the Friday before. That is a real pain. That said, we know the basic outline of our schedule starting at the beginning of the block, and we definitely know which weeks we will have anatomy well in advance.

Exams certainly used to be in person (at the RLSB) for previous classes. Is that likely to go back to normal for Med25? I wouldn't count on it. My impression is that remote exams will stay with us, at least for now.

Unfortunately, we only really find out about the details of our schedules the Friday before. That is a real pain. That said, we know the basic outline of our schedule starting at the beginning of the block, and we definitely know which weeks we will have anatomy well in advance.

Exams certainly used to be in person (at the RLSB) for previous classes. Is that likely to go back to normal for Med25? I wouldn't count on it. My impression is that remote exams will stay with us, at least for now.
Thanks! Would you then suggest living in the apartments by the water, versus up on the hill and having to take the tram down? Thanks!

Thanks! Would you then suggest living in the apartments by the water, versus up on the hill and having to take the tram down? Thanks!
I don't think you could go wrong with either. A lot of people like living by the waterfront for the first year, though I think most end up moving to other neighbourhoods after that. It's nice to be close to the RLSB and the tram, but there's not a lot going on either on the hill or by the waterfront, in terms of nightlife. I have been on the waterfront this year and I'm really glad that I made that choice, but I'm also really excited to move elsewhere when my lease is up.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. A lot of people like living by the waterfront for the first year, though I think most end up moving to other neighbourhoods after that. It's nice to be close to the RLSB and the tram, but there's not a lot going on either on the hill or by the waterfront, in terms of nightlife. I have been on the waterfront this year and I'm really glad that I made that choice, but I'm also really excited to move elsewhere when my lease is up.
any thoughts on where you think is best, near trails, nightlife, food, and not too far?

any thoughts on where you think is best, near trails, nightlife, food, and not too far?
I know that people really like living in SE - Burnside, Hawthorne, Brooklyn, and down into Sellwood-Moreland. Those are great for food and nightlife. I will be heading SE when I move. If you want all of the above plus proximity to trails, you could look in NW - the Nob Hill area, for instance, though it's pretty pricey up that way. I would recommend trying to be close to public transportation because parking on campus is $$$.

I'm not an awesome resource because I don't know Portland very well. That said, there is a Sage Page for admitted students, which outlines some of the options and gives some pros and cons. It's posted on the Med25 admitted student FB page.

I know that people really like living in SE - Burnside, Hawthorne, Brooklyn, and down into Sellwood-Moreland. Those are great for food and nightlife. I will be heading SE when I move. If you want all of the above plus proximity to trails, you could look in NW - the Nob Hill area, for instance, though it's pretty pricey up that way. I would recommend trying to be close to public transportation because parking on campus is $$$.

I'm not an awesome resource because I don't know Portland very well. That said, there is a Sage Page for admitted students, which outlines some of the options and gives some pros and cons. It's posted on the Med25 admitted student FB page.
Great! Thank you!!

Thanks
1) Yes - most people not on their parents/SO/etc insurance do exactly this.
2) Very few - anatomy and some clinical experiences
3) I like the Johns Landing area a lot and some of the SE

Inner SE or anywhere that has a good transit access to downtown or the Tillikum bridge (which runs next to RLSB) would be good IMO. There are a couple of buses that serve the Hill, including the 8 which goes from NE Portland from downtown. The Tillikum bridge currently serves the streetcar, the orange line max (Milwaukie <-> Downtown), pedestrian and bike lines, as well as two (maybe 3 now?) bus lanes. The 9 runs along Powell Blvd in SE and the 17 runs along Holgate Blvd...both major streets in the city with frequent service.

I know grad students who live in Lair Hill, which is a little neighborhood right under the tram, accessible to the Southern portion of the S waterfront campus via a pedestrian bridge over the highway. I even lived there my first few years working, but I moved because it was getting ridiculously expensive and still felt somewhat isolated. It’s a really easy walk to downtown though.

I would never live up on the Hill if I could help it, but I enjoyed working there when I did.

Staff currently have a Lyft promotion (although they keep changing it to absurd hours like 9 pm to 5 am). Is that the case for students too?

Not a student obviously, but if anyone has any questions about what it’s like living in Portland (coming on 14 years...), I can try to help. My first few years was as a student in a somewhat isolated but beautiful part of the city. The city has become increasingly accessible with transit.

Additional caveat - I’ve enjoyed the city more as an adult out of school than when as an undergrad...for obvious reasons like a steady paycheck.

Last edited:
Inner SE or anywhere that has a good transit access to downtown or the Tillikum bridge (which runs next to RLSB) would be good IMO. There are a couple of buses that serve the Hill, including the 8 which goes from NE Portland from downtown. The Tillukum bridge currently serves the streetcar, the orange line max (Milwaukie <-> Downtown), pedestrian and bike lines, as well as two (maybe 3 now?) bus lanes. The 9 runs along Powell Blvd in SE and the 17 runs along Holgate Blvd...both major streets in the city with frequent service.

I know grad students who live in Lair Hill, which is a little neighborhood right under the tram, accessible to the Southern portion of the S waterfront campus via a pedestrian bridge over the highway. I even lived there my first few years working, but I moved because it was getting ridiculously expensive and still felt somewhat isolated. It’s a really easy walk to downtown though.

I would never live up on the Hill if I could help it, but I enjoyed working there when I did.

Staff currently have a Lyft promotion (although they keep changing it to absurd hours like 9 pm to 5 am). Is that the case for students too?

Not a student obviously, but if anyone has any questions about what it’s like living in Portland (coming on 14 years...), I can try to help. My first few years was as a student in a somewhat isolated but beautiful part of the city. The city has become increasingly accessible with transit.

Additional caveat - I’ve enjoyed the city more as an adult out of school than when as an undergrad...for obvious reasons like a steady paycheck.
Thanks for the detail!

This will literally be me all week trying to pretend anxiety isn’t causing me to lose sleep and sanity 😂
1619457919761.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Inner SE or anywhere that has a good transit access to downtown or the Tillikum bridge (which runs next to RLSB) would be good IMO. There are a couple of buses that serve the Hill, including the 8 which goes from NE Portland from downtown. The Tillikum bridge currently serves the streetcar, the orange line max (Milwaukie <-> Downtown), pedestrian and bike lines, as well as two (maybe 3 now?) bus lanes. The 9 runs along Powell Blvd in SE and the 17 runs along Holgate Blvd...both major streets in the city with frequent service.

Lyft program still exists - though the hours are not super useful anymore [used to start at 7:00 pm and was awesome but I think they stopped because people purposefully stayed on campus until exactly 7:00 for the free ride]. It is 9 pm to 5 am as of now. Nice safety net to make sure you can safely get home at weird hours though!